Did I mess up? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Did I mess up?

cashlz
03-14-2004, 04:38 PM
I am not very well educated on the specifics of audio receivers, so once again I am back to borrow from everyone elses knowledge. Tonight I was moving my receiver and was hooking the speakers up and I guess I had turned the power on accidently I crossed one wire with another already hooked into a post. It shorted the receiver so i unplugged it finished wiring the speakers and it seems like everything is ok, what are the chances that I screwed something up? I am hoping that some sort of the receiver has some sort of protection and that it turned itself off with the surge. thanks again

markw
03-14-2004, 05:00 PM
If you screwed up you would hear it. Or, more likely, you wouldn't hear it.

Ya gotta watch those shorts. That's why I like banana plugs.

kelsci
03-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Cashiz; If all the channels are playing and your receiver sounds good on your speakers from various sources, most likely the protective circuitry in whatever brand of receiver you are using was good enough to protect the unit. Usually(I am writing from experience) the main fuse would blow and /or fuses that protect the power supply and rectifiers would blow possibly including the blowing of the rectifiers(diodes) as well. Perhaps your receiver had a fast acting circuit breaker that protected your unit. Whatever the case, it sounds like you should consider yourself lucky and just be more careful if you have to move the receiver in the future.

woodman
03-14-2004, 05:28 PM
Cashiz:
A careful reading of your description of the events that took place tells me that you didn't do anything wrong at all. You merely shorted the speaker terminals together (which will not affect the speaker in any way whatsoever) - not the amplifier output terminals, which could've indeed caused some damage.

Fear not ... nothing bad happened.

Hope this clears your mind

woodman

agtpunx40
03-14-2004, 05:49 PM
most recievers have a protections modes for just such a situation. The reciever will shut off (or say protection mode) and you usually have to turn it off, uncross the wires, and turn it back on. If it sounds fine, then the reciever is fine

cashlz
03-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Well thanks for the speedy replies, I was under the assumption that I was in fact saved by some sort of circuit protection and all seems well (the sopranos sounded great) but needed some reassurance. thanks again its a denon 1804 and i think ill do some more research on it just to get more familiar with it!

markw
03-14-2004, 08:56 PM
Cashiz:
A careful reading of your description of the events that took place tells me that you didn't do anything wrong at all. You merely shorted the speaker terminals together (which will not affect the speaker in any way whatsoever) - not the amplifier output terminals, which could've indeed caused some damage.

Fear not ... nothing bad happened.

Hope this clears your mind

woodman

If the power was on and the amplifier side of the wires were connected, a short on the speaker side could easily have caused a problem. A short is a short of course of course.

Any time rewiring is being done, it's best to be dang sure there is no power.