wow, this sucks (edit: the new forum update thread 5/'11) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : wow, this sucks (edit: the new forum update thread 5/'11)

Rae
11-12-2003, 09:02 AM
I've been through what, three software changes on this board?, and this is immediately my least favorite. Making users register again is totally bogus. Besides that, it wouldn't let me register without picking things like "My Primary Interest is either High End Audio or Home Theater." Hey geniuses, it's neither. Color me nonplussed. :mad:

Dave_G
11-12-2003, 09:29 AM
It ain't that bad.

Could be worse...

Dave

Chris
11-12-2003, 09:46 AM
I've been through what, three software changes on this board?, and this is immediately my least favorite. Making users register again is totally bogus. Besides that, it wouldn't let me register without picking things like "My Primary Interest is either High End Audio or Home Theater." Hey geniuses, it's neither. Color me nonplussed. :mad:
We've actually went through the process of copying all the users over to the new system, so you shouldn't have to register again, unless of course, you're using a new email address that wasn't in our old system. The questions in the profile regarding Audio and Home Theater is mainly for others to know why you're here. This is a high end audio and video community, and we want everyone to know which one is your favorite.

tugmcmartin
11-12-2003, 09:48 AM
this is immediately my least favorite.

But at least now you can use those goofy smiley faces...

Chris
11-12-2003, 09:53 AM
But at least now you can use those goofy smiley faces...
Yeah, some people may not like the smiley faces, but you can turn that option off in your user options. In fact, if you don't want to see attachments, signatures, or smilies, you can shut that option off so that you don't have to see them. If anyone wants to discuss the options of the new forums, or post issues/complaints, please post them in our feedback forum, not here. Thanks guys.

Dave_G
11-12-2003, 10:12 AM
Ya, but now we can't post pictures and all that crap like we used to.

Or can we?

Dave

tugmcmartin
11-12-2003, 10:20 AM
Yeah, some people may not like the smiley faces, but you can turn that option off in your user options. In fact, if you don't want to see attachments, signatures, or smilies, you can shut that option off so that you don't have to see them. If anyone wants to discuss the options of the new forums, or post issues/complaints, please post them in our feedback forum, not here. Thanks guys.

Hell, i can't figure out HOW TO post the smilies. Of course i'm a computer moron...

Chris
11-12-2003, 10:31 AM
Ya, but now we can't post pictures and all that crap like we used to.

Or can we?

Dave
Sure you can - trust me, anything you could do on the old system, you can do here and then some (except for maybe trolling and changing your username).

To post photos, there is a link on the post form called Manage Attachments. Click that link and it should be pretty self-explanitory from there. Hell, you can attach multiple photos now, not just one :)

Chris
11-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Hell, i can't figure out HOW TO post the smilies. Of course i'm a computer moron...
There's an option in your profile that will show you the smilies. You'll see it here:
http://forums.audioreview.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

Near the bottom, there's a radio button option that says:
"Show Enhanced (WYSIWYG) Toolbar"
Make sure that is checked.

Booji Boy
11-12-2003, 10:47 AM
How long will the old forums stay up?

Javier
11-12-2003, 11:06 AM

I had to re-register just like you, well i thik just like you rae third change and this one is going to take longer to get used to. But anyway will be around as usual

Rae
11-12-2003, 11:10 AM
We've actually went through the process of copying all the users over to the new system, so you shouldn't have to register again, unless of course, you're using a new email address that wasn't in our old system.

All right. It didn't work for me but I've heard other people saying differently so I'll take that back.

The questions in the profile regarding Audio and Home Theater is mainly for others to know why you're here. This is a high end audio and video community, and we want everyone to know which one is your favorite.

Is it? I thought Rave Recordings was a music community.

If anyone wants to discuss the options of the new forums, or post issues/complaints, please post them in our feedback forum, not here.

No way! I was sounding off to my friends, and I want to hear what they think of the new software. You can choose to ignore my posts if you want.

Booji Boy
11-12-2003, 11:25 AM
All right. It didn't work for me but I've heard other people saying differently so I'll take that back.

I can't log in as Stone, but can as Booji Boy. Can I re-register as Stone then? Will I have to submit a different email address than the one for Booji Boy, or can I only have one for every IP address I'm posting from?

Also, I tried to post a picture (as an attachment), but obviously that didn't work.

Chris
11-12-2003, 11:37 AM
Please everyone, if you have questions, or need help, please post in the Site Feedback forum:
http://forums.audioreview.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=23

We won't be able to answer all questions unless you post them there. This is the Rave Recordings forum, so please try and keep the discussions related to the forum. We won't be able to monitor each and every forum to answer questions that should go in the feedback forum - especially when participation starts picking up drastically.

Chris
11-12-2003, 11:40 AM

Is it? I thought Rave Recordings was a music community.

No way! I was sounding off to my friends, and I want to hear what they think of the new software. You can choose to ignore my posts if you want.
Well, Rave Recordings is one forum inside AudioReview, which is an Audio/Video community. Music is an intricate part of high end audio. What I meant by posting in the feedback forum, is if you want us (the admins) to be apart of the discussions to answer any questions, please post questions there, not here. Pretty soon, with more posts, we won't be able to keep up with every post in every forum, and posts like this that require a response from us could go unseen. If you want an answer from us, please post in the feedback forum so we can stay on top of it. Thanks.

Dave_G
11-12-2003, 11:41 AM
We're all a bunch of whiny bastards and don't deal well with change.

Once Troy, Yech, FP, and all those other cats get here and start posting we shall see what happens.

Of course, we will need to start a new comp to celebrate the new forum look and functionality.

Ha!

Dave

tugmcmartin
11-12-2003, 11:47 AM
Of course, we will need to start a new comp to celebrate the new forum look and functionality. Dave

"Change" must be in the song somewhere? Title or lyrics? Could be interesting.

:) <---- Check that out. Maybe i'm not such a computer moron after all. Nah... must be the ease of the new software...

T-

JDaniel
11-12-2003, 11:54 AM
I nominate D. Bowie's "Change" as the opening track.

JD

Chris
11-12-2003, 11:58 AM
We're all a bunch of whiny bastards and don't deal well with change.
Hey, you said it not me :)

Our AudioReview community is probably our most vocal and picky of all our sites, except maybe for our MtbReview community - they're damn vocal and like to complain too. I feel bad for the site manager over there (who sits across from me) when they change to the new software. They'll be screaming bloody murder, as they do when there's any type of change. You'd think they were a bunch of 75 year olds who get upset when their fabric softener gets discontinued :D

JDaniel
11-12-2003, 12:08 PM
Stone!!!!!!!

Man, lots of "No see in many moons" people showing up.

JD

jasn
11-12-2003, 12:33 PM
This works for me. How soon until this will be the first place you look at AR, and not the old site?

[You can edit too!]

This software is very common around the web. It's about time AR caught up.

Booji Boy
11-12-2003, 12:51 PM
except maybe for our MtbReview community - they're damn vocal and like to complain too. I feel bad for the site manager over there (who sits across from me) when they change to the new software. They'll be screaming bloody murder, as they do when there's any type of change. You'd think they were a bunch of 75 year olds who get upset when their fabric softener gets discontinued :D

I'm so glad we don't have any of those whiny mountain-biking *****es around this place....

Dave_G
11-12-2003, 01:28 PM
Finch will soon show up and start posting pictures of his skinny ass legs and all while whirring down a hill at 45 MPH!:eek:

Dave

Jim Clark
11-12-2003, 01:54 PM
I'll bet bucks that Chris rigged it up since I never did get my email telling me how to activate the account. Rae, this isn't my idea of a great thing either but I'm going to give it some time before I make a final judgement. I've never spent much time trying to figure out all of the gadgets, doodads, and what-nots of this forum software so maybe it'll grow on me. At least I can post now, and that's a step in the right direction.

regards,
jc

DarrenH
11-12-2003, 06:10 PM
But so far not bad. I had problems posting but Chris fixed that. Can't get my avatar to work. Keeps telling me something went wrong with the upload even though I've sized it correctly. Couple of other minor bugs; user profile won't update, can't run in stealth mode that sort of thing. Not sure if it's just me or are there any others out there experiencing these problems as well.

Private messaging works good. I like that feature.

The ignore feature works good too. If you get tired, or are already tired of, reading someones drivel, just put them in the ignore box. When they post all you see is their moniker. That's all.

Darren

PS. Love the fact that I can edit my post.

Dusty Chalk
11-13-2003, 09:34 AM
I like the fact that we can edit posts.

I like the fact that people can't steal our identities (as much, any more, without logging their IP address).

I don't like the fact that it isn't visually/graphically obvious to whom one is replying, but y'all just need to learn to Reply W/Quote...

Finch Platte
01-20-2011, 03:43 PM
I'm so glad we don't have any of those whiny mountain-biking b1tches around this place....

Shaddup.

(I'm so bored, I'm grabbing threads from the inception of the forum)

Swish
01-20-2011, 04:04 PM
Shaddup.

(I'm so bored, I'm grabbing threads from the inception of the forum)

Brings back fond memories...

ForeverAutumn
01-20-2011, 07:20 PM
I miss Darren. :(

Nice avatar Swishy. Looks just like you. ;)

Rae
01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Ahahaha NVR FRGT

~Rae

MasterCylinder
01-21-2011, 05:27 AM
Frankly Frank, I liked the format we had in 1998.............but I can live with about anything once I get a bit more used to it.

Slosh
01-21-2011, 05:27 AM
We won't be able to monitor each and every forum to answer questions that should go in the feedback forum - especially when participation starts picking up drastically.Ha ha ha ha, when do you think that will be?

3LB
01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
Ha ha ha ha, when do you think that will be?

that's what we get for being so insular

GMichael
01-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Wow! Was this from the big format change that so many oldtimers are so bitter about?

Stone
01-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Brings back fond memories...

I had completely forgotten there was a Booji Boy on this board.

ForeverAutumn
01-21-2011, 01:29 PM
I had completely forgotten there was a Booji Boy on this board.

No Forum is complete without its own Booji Boy.

atomicAdam
01-21-2011, 04:17 PM
you guys are just gonna love when we upgrade vB version in a couple months.

I warn you know - progress will happen.

Rae
01-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I'd welcome an upgrade. The folks around this board are lovely but I still don't have much affection for any other aspect of it. My kingdom for a 'fast mode', especially on the What's Spinning? thread.

~Rae

bobsticks
01-22-2011, 02:45 PM
My kingdom for a 'fast mode', especially on the What's Spinning? thread.

~Rae

Not to get too confrontational...but I'd blame that on Swish...

Hyfi
01-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Wow! Was this from the big format change that so many oldtimers are so bitter about?

YES!!

Edit: Would you believe I couldn't just say YES, It has to be 5 characters.

3LB
01-22-2011, 04:45 PM
progress will happen.

progress is, as progress does

ForeverAutumn
01-22-2011, 05:58 PM
I'd welcome an upgrade. The folks around this board are lovely but I still don't have much affection for any other aspect of it. My kingdom for a 'fast mode', especially on the What's Spinning? thread.

~Rae

LOL! I thought that you were going to say "The folks around this board are lovely, but I still don't have much affection for them". And then ask for an upgrade on the folks. :lol:

GMichael
01-23-2011, 07:15 AM
LOL! I thought that you were going to say "The folks around this board are lovely, but I still don't have much affection for them". And then ask for an upgrade on the folks. :lol:
We already have the best 'folks'. How can you upgrade the best?

ForeverAutumn
01-23-2011, 07:17 AM
We already have the best 'folks'. How can you upgrade the best?

Very good point Mike. :)

Rae
05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Oh hey, board upgrade! Aside from the cosmetics and the load speed, anything functionally different?

My kingdom for a 'fast mode'.

~Rae

~Rae

Swish
05-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Oh hey, board upgrade! Aside from the cosmetics and the load speed, anything functionally different?

~Rae

After failing (twice) to log on because I had an 'incorrect' password (it was automatic before), requesting a new password and finally logging on, I don't see anything different. At least nothing obvious.

ForeverAutumn
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
It looks to me like someone redecorated, but that's about it as far as I can see.

Oh, and I see a little green button to tell me that Swishypoo is on-line instead of before when they thought that it had to be spelled out for me.

bobsticks
05-18-2011, 10:27 AM
~Rae

Hey Rae Rae--

I can't answer that question from the standpoint of any technical knowledge but if the damn thing moves faster that's more than enough for me. Anything else would be icing.

ForeverAutumn
05-18-2011, 10:30 AM
It looks like some of the bugs may have been fixed. The Forum Jump actually works for me. That hasn't worked right...well...EVER...I think. And when I post, it actually posts instead of telling me that I have to wait 30 seconds. If the upgrade is less buggy then I'm a happy girl. :)

dean_martin
05-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Yippie! I lost a post in the middle of the change - one I actually put some thought and effort into, too! I won't be doing that again! Yay!!

Seriously though, it will be nice to be able to use the "forum jump" again.

3LB
05-18-2011, 01:10 PM
Well, it loaded faster for me, and I'm on my phone. No comments suggesting canine lineage from me. I'm pleased.

And now I'm allowed to give myself rep points - awesome!

Finch Platte
05-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I wish them buttons for the next page of the thread were a little bigger. Seems like I can't ever hit them with the mouse on the first try.

And would someone answer that damn phone!!

Rae
05-18-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't know what you guys mean by the 'forum jump'. I guess I just use this one anyway.

~Rae

atomicAdam
05-19-2011, 06:38 AM
Yippie! I lost a post in the middle of the change - one I actually put some thought and effort into, too! I won't be doing that again! Yay!!

Seriously though, it will be nice to be able to use the "forum jump" again.

Sorry about that dean - I was out sick yesterday and IT did the upgrade. Unfortunately bad food strikes at any moment, and sometimes things we put time into get lost.

atomicAdam
05-19-2011, 06:39 AM
I wish them buttons for the next page of the thread were a little bigger. Seems like I can't ever hit them with the mouse on the first try.

And would someone answer that damn phone!!

I can look at increasing the font size on this -

which phone? you want to call me directly on my cell?

atomicAdam
05-19-2011, 06:40 AM
Please everyone - if you have forum issues - please post them in this thread here and I will do my best to get them addressed ASAP.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=36589

atomicAdam
05-19-2011, 06:42 AM

~Rae

I think the difference is mainly on the back end - and new server - OS build - and new clean install of vB.

There is some functional difference but for the most past should be about the same.

dean_martin
05-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Sorry about that dean - I was out sick yesterday and IT did the upgrade. Unfortunately bad food strikes at any moment, and sometimes things we put time into get lost.

No need to apologize. Hope you're feeling better.

atomicAdam
05-19-2011, 08:23 AM
No need to apologize. Hope you're feeling better.

thanks - i am - wasn't that bad - but with the public transit commute - i didn't want to risk anything...

dean_martin
05-19-2011, 08:55 AM
thanks - i am - wasn't that bad - but with the public transit commute - i didn't want to risk anything...

don't blame you. Unfortunately, I'm thinking of too many disastrous scenarios. What if you sat next to someone with a cologne that irritated you and made you sneeze?

Hyfi
05-19-2011, 09:00 AM
don't blame you. Unfortunately, I'm thinking of too many disastrous scenarios. What if you sat next to someone with a cologne that irritated you and made you sneeze?

Have you ever flown from London back to the states on a plane where every woman on your flight spritzed a little sample of EVERY friggin perfume in the airport?

They should be made to take a shower before getting on the plane.

atomicAdam
05-19-2011, 09:08 AM
Have you ever flown from London back to the states on a plane where every woman on your flight spritzed a little sample of EVERY friggin perfume in the airport?

LOL - you guys are funny.

When I flew back from Paris to London to SF I was so tired I pretty much slept the whole way. When I got home - first thing I did was go grocery shopping, cook myself a huge meal, ate it and slept for a couple days. A month in Europe drinking and snowboarding and I lost like 10lbs...

ForeverAutumn
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM

One of our managers was interviewing for a position last week. I was in the boardroom right after the interview and the candidate's perfume was so strong that, not only was it lingering, but my throat was burning. I moved the meeting to my office and told that manager that if she hired that person she was going to have to reduce her perfume usage.

I've honestly never understood why people wear perfume or cologne. Some people spend a lot of money on it too. I don't get it.

ForeverAutumn
05-19-2011, 10:01 AM
A month in Europe drinking and snowboarding and I lost like 10lbs...

As yes, but I bet you had FUN!

atomicAdam
05-19-2011, 10:05 AM
One of our managers was interviewing for a position last week. I was in the boardroom right after the interview and the candidate's perfume was so strong that, not only was it lingering, but my throat was burning. I moved the meeting to my office and told that manager that if she hired that person she was going to have to reduce her perfume usage.

I've honestly never understood why people wear perfume or cologne. Some people spend a lot of money on it too. I don't get it.

I think, if done right, it can be very nice. But doing it right means getting a scent that matches your own body, and is worn very lightly.

Like the girl I dated for 4 years in highschool/college - she liked sandwood - just a little - and if anything - now whenever I smell that - I remember her. And they are good memories, so I'm cool w/ that.

And yes - it was a blast! France and Italy (Italians were way more awesome) - snowboarding and site seeing. Was freaking $$$$ but an awesome time.

dean_martin
05-19-2011, 12:18 PM

I've known several males that douse themselves in cologne and try to greet you with a handshake. Apparently, it's the last thing they do before leaving the house because it's on their hands. It's so bad that I had to try to avoid the handshake unless I was close to a bathroom and could wash up right away. I'm all for warm greetings and making people feel comfortable and welcomed, but that was just too much.

On the other hand, I've noticed that only women's perfumes (not all, but some) seem to trip my allergy alarm, burn my throat, etc.

And then there's Adam's observation. Done right (subtly), it can be nice in a personal/intimate setting.

Finch Platte
05-19-2011, 02:04 PM

A friend always said: If it smells like cologne, leave it alone; if it smells like fish, eat all you wish.

Hyfi
05-20-2011, 02:48 AM
I've known several males that douse themselves in cologne and try to greet you with a handshake. Apparently, it's the last thing they do before leaving the house because it's on their hands. It's so bad that I had to try to avoid the handshake unless I was close to a bathroom and could wash up right away. I'm all for warm greetings and making people feel comfortable and welcomed, but that was just too much.

My company is on the second floor of a building and up until a few months ago, the first floor was occupied by New York Life Insurance. All the men coming thru the first floor lobby were way worse than the women.

I guess after a while they completely burn out their ability to notice they have too much on. Men and women both.

ForeverAutumn
05-20-2011, 09:13 AM
I've known several males that douse themselves in cologne and try to greet you with a handshake.

My husband used to buy that Axe crap. He could be upstairs in the bedroom and I could be downstairs in the kitchen and I would know whenever he sprayed it because I would start to choke. I finally bought him a nice suble cologne and told him that if he felt compelled to wear a scent then I would buy it for him. It was the only way that I could be sure not to have a reaction to whatever he wears.

...and he does kinda smell nice. :)

Wow, talk about going off-topic!

ForeverAutumn
05-20-2011, 09:14 AM
I guess after a while they completely burn out their ability to notice they have too much on. Men and women both.

I think that's definately part of the problem. It's like smoker...they're so used to the smell that they just don't realize how bad they smell.

GMichael
05-20-2011, 12:09 PM
I think that's definately part of the problem. It's like smoker...they're so used to the smell that they just don't realize how bad they smell.

+1Googleplex!

Troy
05-23-2011, 02:28 PM
I just farted. Nice huh? Airline food.