Bowers & Wilkins Music Club? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bowers & Wilkins Music Club?

nightflier
12-16-2008, 11:51 AM
Is this worth it?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/display.aspx?infid=777

This music club costs $40 for six months. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I think that it allows you to download about 6 full-length features albums (about $7 an album). They have artists like Peter Gabriel, so it's not unheard of folks, either. Of course, the purpose of this is for B&W to sell you on their speakers, so I fail to see why they are charging this much.

The interesting this to me is that the quality is supposed to be phenomenal - higher than CD quality. They also let you do what you want with the music. You can burn it to CD, you can bring into iTunes, and you can play it on your computer at will. Unfortunately, I can't get the free trial widget to take my info, so I can't give it a spin. I was just wondering if others had tried it and what they thought of the download quality. Is it really that good?

Ajani
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I haven't tried it... but I hope it's just one of many such sites to come... When enough of these small audiophile oriented sites show that selling high resolution downloads is profitable, then I'm sure we'll see the big boys like Apple and Amazon offering high res alternatives to their current offerings...

Tarheel_
12-22-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm on their mailing list and they always have a "free" song for download. Actually, i think it's a n entire CD. It lists it as a high quality recording, etc.

I usually delete the email so i cannot remember specs or have feedback.

Perhaps you should join their mailing lists and try them out before paying $40/month.

nightflier
12-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Tar, the mailing list sign-up isn't working for me. Next time they send you a download, try it out and let us know how it sounds.

pixelthis
12-23-2008, 12:03 AM
HAVE YOU HEARD OF THESE GUYS?
Havent tried them yet.:1:

http://www.hdtracks.com/

audio amateur
12-23-2008, 04:28 AM
I signed up for the free bit after I purchased my current B&W speaks. I've never managed to download anything:p somehow they make it extra complicated, either that or I'm an idiot.

Ajani
12-23-2008, 05:26 AM
I'm an idiot.

We know. :ciappa: