Sony KDL-42V4100 at BB for 1K, will it ever get lower than this? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sony KDL-42V4100 at BB for 1K, will it ever get lower than this?

gburglax
12-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Am in the market for a new TV around a grand and found this today at Best Buy. Seems like a fine deal but was wondering if I should wait until after the holidays in case they get further discounted. My parents actually just bought this TV a month or two ago for 1500 and its suits me well.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1207957070612&skuId=8828726&type=product

pixelthis
12-15-2008, 11:06 PM
grab it.
I waited last year when blu players were 250 bucks during the holidays, they went back up to 400 bucks soon after.
I actually almost bought this set, but it was 300 bucks more than what I actually
wound up buying, so waiting on tvs to come down will sometimes save you money,
sometimes it wont.
Dont be the guy who bought his first color set in 1989 because he was waiting for the price to come down.
This is an exelent set, my uncle has it and paid 1400 for it, and loves it.:1:

gburglax
12-16-2008, 05:44 AM
Nah I wouldn't be that guy. I currently have a 37 inch Magnavox LCD that has done alright for a couple years but now I'm ready to upgrade. I'm just wondering if I can expect more price drops after Xmas. It's very tempting right now though, that price is excellent and can be picked up nearby

bfalls
12-16-2008, 06:30 AM
I work for Sony and we have an on-line Family Center which sells Sony products at employee discounts. Last year I purchased a KDL-52XBR5 (MSRP $4999) for $2499.
The price we currently have on this model is $884, so the $1000 tag isn't bad. We have a media test center who check the function and quality of DVD/BD movies. They purchased the 52" version of this model and it looks great. I'm usually an XBR fan, but this picture rivals the XBR, it just has fewer features. I'd say go for it. With the mandatory cutover of digital TV coming in February, I don't think retailers will feel the need to discount TVs after Christmas. I think those who waited until the very end will pay the price.

gburglax
12-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Thats weird cause the reason I'm looking at retail now is because a connection through Sony for that discount fell through, I was told because of the economy. They had the 42 V at around 900 and the 46 at around 1100. Anyway I think I'll he going for it. I just have to convince my girlfriend I'm not crazy

Woochifer
12-19-2008, 06:01 PM
I work for Sony and we have an on-line Family Center which sells Sony products at employee discounts. Last year I purchased a KDL-52XBR5 (MSRP $4999) for $2499.
The price we currently have on this model is $884, so the $1000 tag isn't bad. We have a media test center who check the function and quality of DVD/BD movies. They purchased the 52" version of this model and it looks great. I'm usually an XBR fan, but this picture rivals the XBR, it just has fewer features. I'd say go for it. With the mandatory cutover of digital TV coming in February, I don't think retailers will feel the need to discount TVs after Christmas. I think those who waited until the very end will pay the price.

I think you're right about that. A lot of analysts have noted that even though this year will likely be the first ever year-to-year decline in TV sales, manufacturers have already reduced their production levels and postponed plans originally made for early next year to bring additional capacity online. They note that these trends can actually slow down price cuts on TV prices, despite the faltering market conditions.

Also, I can see the normal pre-Super Bowl TV buying binge in January carrying over into February because of the DTV transition. That makes for a longer peak buying season, and if low inventories remain low due to production cutbacks, then that reduces the downward pressures on prices.

Earlier, other analysts were recommending that consumers avoid buying HDTVs this holiday season because they saw steeper price cuts happening around next March. From what I've seen, the really aggressive price cuts began in October and they have not come back up since then.

gburglax
12-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Well I got it, is being delivered in Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it

Woochifer
12-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Well I got it, is being delivered in Tuesday. Very much looking forward to it

Congrats. Just make sure that you calibrate the set for home viewing when you get it (the factory settings on TVs are typically set for showroom viewing conditions). If you don't have a calibration disc, go over to the AVS Forum and check on what settings other posters are using for their sets.

gburglax
12-21-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks, when I was doing a little research I actually stumbled on that site and have already bookmarked the thread for calibration. Will definitely be going back to try it out