LP cover art [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : LP cover art

Doc Sage
12-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Do you know what I miss the most? I miss the wonderful art that was featured on LP covers. I will aways remember the day I came across Fragile by Yes. I had to purchase this album just because of the cover. Or Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally through the Alley, his first one (if I am right). The cover art told me a story that had me salivating for the music.

The 4" x 4" box of a CD will never live up the 12" x 12" LP cover for shear impact. Sorry.

Doc Sage

Auricauricle
12-15-2008, 05:57 PM
I agree Doc. When I was a teenager, I bought a copy of Storm Thorgerson's Walk Away Renee, which recounted the various experiences Storm and his crew, Hipgnosis, had in putting together albums for Pink Floyd, Yes, 10cc, Brand-X, etc. Like you, I reckon with the smaller presentation on the CD, there just isn't such a demand. It's a shame: I used to buy albums partly on the strength of their covers. I figured if the musicians cared to put together a decent looking cover, their music would be just as interesting to listen to....

emesbee
12-15-2008, 09:54 PM
Do you know what I miss the most? I miss the wonderful art that was featured on LP covers. I will aways remember the day I came across Fragile by Yes. I had to purchase this album just because of the cover.

Roger Dean's album covers were legendary. I always liked the cover of Osibisa's first album.

emaidel
12-16-2008, 04:57 AM
An item very few people ever heard of was the Koss "Music Mural." It was a series of brass rails attached to the wall to display album covers, and use them as wall art. The albums would rest in the slots of the bottom rail, and the upper rail kept the albums from falling off the wall. One lifted the albums up and out to use them, or to get at those behind the front, or "display" album. Eight regular albums would fit in one space (or, four "double" albums), and depending on the length and number of rails one purchased, any number of shapes and designs could be created. I had one in my home back in the mid 60's and loved it. I actually liked it most because of how it looked, and how I could readily change the appearance by switching covers around. Some of my favorites were the (then) ever so sexy Martin Denny album covers with a lucious model (whose name was Sandra Warner) in various stages of suggestive dress.

Ah, memories.....

Feanor
12-16-2008, 06:13 AM
Do you know what I miss the most? I miss the wonderful art that was featured on LP covers. I will aways remember the day I came across Fragile by Yes. I had to purchase this album just because of the cover. Or Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally through the Alley, his first one (if I am right). The cover art told me a story that had me salivating for the music.

The 4" x 4" box of a CD will never live up the 12" x 12" LP cover for shear impact. Sorry.

Doc Sage

Yep, the CD art will never match the LP's. But the CD art is better than nothing, and when I rip a CD to computer, I'm at pains to find and add the cover art. I most often search Amazon.com, but if I don't find a good image there I will scan the actual CD booklet cover.

Feanor
12-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Roger Dean's album covers were legendary. I always liked the cover of Osibisa's first album.

Dean's art is fabulous

Hyfi
12-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Dean's art is fabulous

I have the original Roger Dean Views book from 1975. Not sure how easy it is to get these days but the pics are awesome.

EDIT_ Amazon still has it.

http://www.cliobook.nl/antiqbook/1571.jpg

dean_martin
12-16-2008, 04:18 PM
An item very few people ever heard of was the Koss "Music Mural." It was a series of brass rails attached to the wall to display album covers, and use them as wall art. The albums would rest in the slots of the bottom rail, and the upper rail kept the albums from falling off the wall. One lifted the albums up and out to use them, or to get at those behind the front, or "display" album. Eight regular albums would fit in one space (or, four "double" albums), and depending on the length and number of rails one purchased, any number of shapes and designs could be created. I had one in my home back in the mid 60's and loved it. I actually liked it most because of how it looked, and how I could readily change the appearance by switching covers around. Some of my favorites were the (then) ever so sexy Martin Denny album covers with a lucious model (whose name was Sandra Warner) in various stages of suggestive dress.

Ah, memories.....

Like this one?

Doc Sage
12-16-2008, 06:11 PM

Hyfi says, "I have the original Roger Dean Views book from 1975. Not sure how easy it is to get these days but the pics are awesome.

EDIT_ Amazon still has it."

Hyfi,
I had that book back then. Must have sold it when I move out west. Great book.

I got "1000 Record Covers" publish by Taschen that I turn to every so often.

Does anyone has a copy of The Rolling Stone Sticky Fingers with a functional zipper? Or Led Zepplin III with the turning inner wheel? The 70's were the climax of great covers.

Doc Sage

Feanor
12-16-2008, 07:07 PM
I have the original Roger Dean Views book from 1975. Not sure how easy it is to get these days but the pics are awesome.

EDIT_ Amazon still has it.

It's a keeper.

emesbee
12-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Hyfi says, "I have the original Roger Dean Views book from 1975. Not sure how easy it is to get these days but the pics are awesome.

Hyfi,

Does anyone has a copy of The Rolling Stone Sticky Fingers with a functional zipper? Or Led Zepplin III with the turning inner wheel? The 70's were the climax of great covers.

Doc Sage

I have Led Zeppelin III with the turning wheel. Also, The Beatles Sgt Pepper album with the gatefold sleeve and Sgt Pepper cutouts still intact.

emaidel
12-17-2008, 04:15 AM
Like this one?

You betcha! "Quiet Village" was the first Martin Denny album I ever bought, and afterwards, I managed to snap up any and every other album of his that I could. My all-time favorite cover, also featuring that brunette and very buxom beauty on the "Quiet Village" cover (Sandra Warner) was "Primitiva." Same gorgous gal, standing in the midst of swirling waters and a deep, plunging neckline on her "primitive" outfit.

I foolishly threw out all my Martin Denny albums many years ago, long having lost interest in the hokey music, and now realize that was a big mistake, as they're worth big bucks today.

Hyfi
12-17-2008, 05:42 AM

Hyfi,

Doc Sage

I certainly do not have the big paper from Cheech & Chong's Big Bamboo. :devil:

Doc Sage
12-17-2008, 11:57 AM
I certainly do not have the big paper from Cheech & Chong's Big Bamboo. :devil:

I forgot about "The Big Paper"...and I do not have it...anymore. We smoked it a week before my 18th birthday (1972...I think? Or was it my nineteenth?). Please do not ask me what followed for I do not remember. :crazy:

Sergeant Pepper with the cut-out? My uncle had that one. He was the one who introduce me to Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Yes and the likes.

Doc Sage

Auricauricle
12-17-2008, 12:00 PM
No, you certainly don't, Hy! Make sure the Feds got this down: HYFI DOES NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE THE BIG PAPER FROM CHEECH & CHONG'S BIG BAMBOO!

dean_martin
12-17-2008, 02:56 PM
You betcha! "Quiet Village" was the first Martin Denny album I ever bought, and afterwards, I managed to snap up any and every other album of his that I could. My all-time favorite cover, also featuring that brunette and very buxom beauty on the "Quiet Village" cover (Sandra Warner) was "Primitiva." Same gorgous gal, standing in the midst of swirling waters and a deep, plunging neckline on her "primitive" outfit.

I foolishly threw out all my Martin Denny albums many years ago, long having lost interest in the hokey music, and now realize that was a big mistake, as they're worth big bucks today.

I wasn't here for the first go-round, but in the mid 90s when exotica and lounge music (space age bachelor pad music) made a comeback, I used to hit the flea markets and scored a few here and there. Another favorite cover is this one:

emesbee
12-17-2008, 08:22 PM

I've never heard of Martin Denny, but the brunette looks very tasty.

Auricauricle
12-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Yeah (pant, pant)....I like the springs on their heads....(Yowza!)

Scott W
12-19-2008, 09:36 PM
No, you certainly don't, Hy! Make sure the Feds got this down: HYFI DOES NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES HAVE THE BIG PAPER FROM CHEECH & CHONG'S BIG BAMBOO!
I wonder how many people didn't use that paper.Back then there was no such thing as "use in moderation":devil:

thekid
12-20-2008, 03:18 AM
I have Led Zeppelin III with the turning wheel. Also, The Beatles Sgt Pepper album with the gatefold sleeve and Sgt Pepper cutouts still intact.

I have to go back and look but I think I do have a copy of the LZ III with the wheel.
I do know I have a Cheech and Chong album with the "rolling paper" still in the cover and a Pink Flloyd "Dark Side of the Moon" with the postcards and poster still inside.

On a somewhat related note I started picking up Laserdiscs and their large album-like covers allow for some better visuals than today's DVD plastic boxes.

hifitommy
12-20-2008, 12:30 PM
http://www.earthsongonline.com/images/products/caverna-full_001.jpg
Columbia MK-37827 ▪ Released

this is andreas' best as far as i am concerned. the vinyl is even more spacious than the cd.