end of season blues: fillin' the void [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : end of season blues: fillin' the void

dean_martin
12-15-2008, 12:41 PM
My wife and I settled into Sunday and Tuesday night routines watching True Blood (Sun.) and Fringe (Tues). Now that the series are done until next season, we've kinda been lost/bored on those nights.

In the meantime, the Twin Peaks Gold box set was released within the last year. I picked up the set recently (after big price drop) and we've watched the pilot and the first 4 episodes. So far, this has filled the Sun & Tues time slots well.

The pilot (first time released on dvd in US as far as I can tell) comes with two endings - the US tv version and the international version which has an ending that wraps things up so it stands on its own as a complete film (it's the same ending as the original vhs version of the pilot). If you haven't seen the series, or if you are watching it with someone who hasn't seen the series, you might consider not watching the int'l ending right away to avoid spoilers.

The menu for each disc allows you to watch with or without the Log Lady Intros which were developed for the series when Bravo picked it up.

The special features (haven't watched any yet) include Kyle McLachlan hosting SNL and the Twin Peaks sketch.

I've read reports that discs 2 and 6 had a menu defect that wouldn't allow you to jump to episodes. I played disc 2 with no problems. Some of the user comments on Amazon tell how to get replacement discs if your set contains these defects.

Worf101
12-16-2008, 06:55 AM
In the words of "Dollah Dollah Bill" Clinton "ah feel your pain". I never thought I'd miss a weekly orgy of bloodsucking, sex and drug lust soooo much. I need some "V" juice and I need it now!!!

Da Worfster

kexodusc
12-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Dudes, we just caught up with True Blood after missing it 5 or 6 weeks in a row. Wow...what delightfully creepy series.

Better than Generation Kill even.

I miss Fringe too...

dean_martin, if you ever find out who killed Laura Palmer, let me know...mmkay?

dean_martin
12-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Dudes, we just caught up with True Blood after missing it 5 or 6 weeks in a row. Wow...what delightfully creepy series.

Better than Generation Kill even.

I miss Fringe too...

dean_martin, if you ever find out who killed Laura Palmer, let me know...mmkay?

Funny you should ask who killed Laura Palmer. I didn't watch the series until it aired on Bravo. For the life of me, I cannot remember how the series resolved the murder mystery or if it did. I remember the ending added to the pilot from the old vhs version and the lead up to Laura's murder in the subsequent film "Fire Walk with Me" so I have a pretty good idea. I guess all the second season tangents clouded my memory.

ForeverAutumn
12-16-2008, 06:43 PM
I plan on watching Fringe reruns since I missed the first run. And hockey games. And maybe I'll finally find the time to watch those 24 DVDs that I bought two years ago!

kexodusc
12-17-2008, 05:05 AM
Funny you should ask who killed Laura Palmer. I didn't watch the series until it aired on Bravo. For the life of me, I cannot remember how the series resolved the murder mystery or if it did. I remember the ending added to the pilot from the old vhs version and the lead up to Laura's murder in the subsequent film "Fire Walk with Me" so I have a pretty good idea. I guess all the second season tangents clouded my memory.

There was a film on this story? I might have to check that out. It's been years since I watched that show, I was hooked. But damn, it seemed it was over without anything being settled. I've forgotten so much about it. Might be a good series to watch again when I'm on the road, bored in cheap hotels....

dean_martin
12-17-2008, 08:23 AM
There was a film on this story? I might have to check that out. It's been years since I watched that show, I was hooked. But damn, it seemed it was over without anything being settled. I've forgotten so much about it. Might be a good series to watch again when I'm on the road, bored in cheap hotels....

"Fire Walk with Me" was the film that came out after the series. It's actually a prequel to the series. It begins with the death of Teresa Banks (the girl who was killed a year before Laura in a nearby town). Chris Isaac and Keifer Sutherland play the FBI agents sent to investigate. David Bowie makes an appearance as well. Harry Dean Stanton is in it. It moves to Twin Peaks and shows Laura's fall into drugs, the dark side, etc. Being a rated R feature film, it has nudity and all that other good stuff.

All the actors from the series except Lara Flynn Boyle (who is adequately replaced by Moira Kelly) return for the film. David Lynch directs.