What do you all think of this Blu Deal? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do you all think of this Blu Deal?

Mr Peabody
12-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Best Buy has a deal going where if you buy a HDMI cable $79.00 or more + 10 Blu-ray movies $25.00 or higher, they will give you an Insignia, NS-2BR, Blu-ray player for FREE. I believe this player retails at $250.00.

I haven't looked at this player to see what it will do but this deal would sure have some one on their way to Blu.

Ajani
12-14-2008, 05:31 PM
Assuming the prices for the HDMI cable and Blu Ray discs are good, then it's a very good deal... because even if the Insignia is a crappy Blu Player, you've still got 10 movies and a cable to use when you buy a good player....

elapsed
12-14-2008, 05:58 PM
The Insignia Blu-Ray player has been selling at Best Buy for as low as $169.99. So with this new deal you would need to spend minimum $329 to get a bottom of the line player, with a bunch of over-priced movies and an extremely overpriced cable. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me!

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
12-14-2008, 06:34 PM
The Insignia Blu-Ray player has been selling at Best Buy for as low as $169.99. So with this new deal you would need to spend minimum $329 to get a bottom of the line player, with a bunch of over-priced movies and an extremely overpriced cable. Doesn't sound like much of a deal to me!

cheers,
elapsed

Overpriced you say? Hmmm... well that makes it a ripoff then... it's only a good deal if the price of the cable and movies is good....

nightflier
12-15-2008, 03:50 PM
What is significant, however, is that BB is throwing in BR players if you buy movies and a cable. That means that players are becoming the bonus item, i.e. the freebie with your purchase. In other words, it's the software that drives the sale, and the hardware is just extra. That's kind of like Adobe Software saying, if you buy Photoshop and a printer cable, we'll throw in a free Acer computer.

Now if BB actually offered a more respectable player (like a Samsung or Sony) as part of the deal, I think they would go like hot-cakes. That would be more like getting an iMac with your software.

Woochifer
12-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Might not be such a bad deal if you're already looking to populate your Blu-ray collection with those titles anyway. I've had my PS3 for nearly a month, and I still have only 4 Blu-ray titles. I don't see too many Blu-ray upgraders ramping up their collections right from the outset. This isn't like DVD, where people are creating video libraries for the first time. I saw the Insignia Blu-ray player, and it might be a decent model if it's the new Profile 2.0 version.

The issue I have is with the HDMI cable, no way those things should cost $80! Unfortunately, at Best Buy, if you buy cable, you're likely buying from Monster because they've now got Best Buy locked down. They booted Audioquest from the Magnolia stores, and I don't see the reasonably priced cables from AR anymore. All that's left are Dynex and BB's in-house Rocketfish brand, and even those off brands start at around $50 for a 3 foot cable.

By comparison, the 20' HDMI cable that I ordered from Blue Jeans Cable cost less than $40, and this is a bonded pair cable certified for HDMI 1.3. BJC has other 6' HDMI cables that they sell for less than $5.

Mr Peabody
12-15-2008, 06:17 PM
It is odd the hardware being the freeby. There also must be a good margin in the movies, and cable, to make this deal without going broke. Unless it's being subsidized by some one.

winston
12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
hi guys
i don't know how this marantz BD-7003 doing ?
but i just take a peek at AUDIO ADVISOR NEWS LETTER seems that they a factory discount of $250 from marantz their selling it for $549.just a heads up for marantz lovers.

MR P. did talk about it or was it the other model some threads ago? any ways my sony 550 is fine for now

pixelthis
12-15-2008, 10:38 PM
It is odd the hardware being the freeby. There also must be a good margin in the movies, and cable, to make this deal without going broke. Unless it's being subsidized by some one.

Just something to get attention , like when ADS are printed upside down sometimes.
As for the movies, I HAVE TEN, intend to buy a lot more.
Another thing, this might be aimed at PS3 owners who would like to have the convience
of a standalone for watching movies.:1:

Duds
12-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Best Buy just offered all of their corporate employees severance packages.....

mbbuchanan
12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
That's like Guitar Center's deal last week, buy ten sets of D'addario strings and they give you a free acoustic guitar.

pixelthis
12-17-2008, 11:23 PM
Best Buy just offered all of their corporate employees severance packages.....

Not surprizing considering whats going on in the world.
I like to come to this site to get away from the reality of whats going on ,
but that gets harder each day.
I cant help but think that soon we will be where we talk about "bargains" like the
old Pioneer we found at the Salvation army, instead of the latest bargain at the local Big box.
WONT AFFECT THE LOVE OF THE MUSIC, used to listen to cobbled together
stuff during lean times and can again.
Its just a different kind of "fun" is all.:1:

Mike Anderson
12-21-2008, 09:40 AM
It's crazy to pay that much for cables, I don't care what the deal is.

Buy cheap cables here (http://www.parts-express.com/home.cfm?CFID=3997238&CFTOKEN=69139702). They have HDMI cables (http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=628&CFID=3997252&CFTOKEN=85219283) starting at $4.

thekid
12-27-2008, 03:11 AM
Well I was given about $200 in BB gift cards this year and was trying to decide what to buy. I am torn between going Blu-Ray or buying one of those USB turntables. On one hand I think we will start to see Blu-Ray prices dip again and the deal mentioned by Mr.P is just a sign of what is to come. On the other hand my vinyl is stacking up quicker than I can convert it using my current turntable/PC set-up. I know these USB tables are cheaply built and not designed for every day listening but I have a Dual 1019 for that purpose. The Sony that I am looking at has a built in pre-amp so all I really need to do is plug the TT into the wall and connect a USB cable to my computer. I guess I will have to stop in to BB today and check things out-maybe there will be an open box special that will take me in a whole different direction...........

Mr Peabody
12-27-2008, 07:55 AM
I bought a Numark USB turntable for only $128.00 from Amazon. Audio Technica carry some reasonable priced ones as well. So if BB has this type of product for much more you might want to spend your cards on something else and get the turntable off the net. I haven't had a chance to put mine in service yet. Happy shopping.

thekid
12-27-2008, 01:19 PM
I bought a Numark USB turntable for only $128.00 from Amazon. Audio Technica carry some reasonable priced ones as well. So if BB has this type of product for much more you might want to spend your cards on something else and get the turntable off the net. I haven't had a chance to put mine in service yet. Happy shopping.

Let me know what you think of the Nu-Mark. I know there is others out there but I am looking at the stuff at BB because using the gift cards in a sense means it is free money.