Wiring my speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wiring my speakers

Stockstinks
12-14-2008, 11:35 AM
I have a 100 wpc onyko and I am hooking up my Energy RC10's

The speakers are bi-wireable

Is their a advantage to running 2 sets of cables to each speaker using the A & B channels from the receiver?

I am currently doing this and I left the bi-wire connector on the speakers intact.

What do you think???

02audionoob
12-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Why did you leave the connector on? That doesn't seem like a good thing.

markw
12-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Bi-wiring is of questionable benefit to begin with.

All you do by running from both terminals is that you divide the available power between the two sides of the speaker.

If your amp runs the two sets in parallel, you halve the impedance seen by the amp. If they are in in series, then you double the impedance seen by the amp.

Neither does you any good at all. Then again, this is most likely true of bi-wiring in the first place.

If you want to bi-wire, at least do it right. Run both wires from the same terminal, either A OR B, not both. Oh, and take that connector off. You're lucky it didn't harm your receiver.

Stockstinks
12-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Thank you for responding.
I will hook the wires up to the A channel only and disconnect the connectors on the speaker.

hifitommy
12-14-2008, 05:50 PM
to get a feeling for what the benefit of bi-wiring, go to audioasylum.com and then to the speaker asylum. i have nerver done it but my spendor speakers have the capability. i have asked knowledgeable audiophiles such as steve mc cormack about this and he replied that it improves the sound.

Stockstinks
12-27-2008, 08:46 AM
My B&W's are Bi-wired with Kimber kable and I believe they sound much better than the single Monster cable that I was using.

hifitommy
12-27-2008, 09:13 AM
twin lead to audioquest type 4 made a noticeable improvement in clarity and low end definition. the monster was muddy in comparison. the kimber 8tc sped things up a bit.

right now i am listening to the maggie MMGs so biwiring isnt an option. when i go back to the a3/5s i will try the bi-wiring.

sallysue
01-23-2009, 02:38 PM
I have a 100 wpc onyko and I am hooking up my Energy RC10's

The speakers are bi-wireable

Is their a advantage to running 2 sets of cables to each speaker using the A & B channels from the receiver?

I am currently doing this and I left the bi-wire connector on the speakers intact.

What do you think???

It's up to you, try and see what you think.

I went round and round with this one and finally asked the ol' man about it. He's a research physicist - He said it helps with the reflected wave back to the amplifier. Some of the power going to the speaker gets reflected back to the amp. Bi wiring helps reduce this affect.

Kevio
01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
What do you think???I can't see how single wiring could be any better than bi wiring. If you've already bi wired it, I'd leave it like that.

hifitommy
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
more conductor will conduct more signal and perhaps easier. larger gauge wire usually does better than thinner.

i asked steve mc cormack if he biwires his vandy 3As and he anwered in the affirmative and stated that id DOES sound better. he doesnt sell wire so has no axe to grind. his answer was similar to sally's.

in a lower end system, the differences are less likely to be discernable much the same as with lenses. the better the conveyance, the better the result.

emesbee
01-23-2009, 11:39 PM
It doesn't matter if you run the speaker leads from A and B on your receiver, or from A alone. The effect is the same. If you do bi-wire, then be sure to remove the jumpers connecting the terminals on the back of your speakers.

Bi-wiring is one of those things where people seem to have opposite opinions. Some people swear by it, others say it makes no difference. My suggestion is to try it for yourself and see if you notice any difference. Be sure to use good quality speaker leads though.

I have a pair of VAF DC-Xs (locally made, Australian speakers) which I have bi-wired to a Musical Fidelity E11 stereo amplifier (which only has a single pair of speaker terminals, incidentally). In my system it definitely made a difference to the sound, albeit subtle. There seemed to be a bit more detail, and the bass was stronger. The overall result was a smoother, richer sound.

In all honesty, I can't be sure that the effect is due to the bi-wiring, or simply because the extra cable results in less signal degradation. I really don't care though. I tried it, and it made a difference, and that's really all that matters to me.