Athena AS-F1 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Athena AS-F1

elvisisded
03-14-2004, 01:40 PM
I finally bought the Athena AS-F1's today. They look and sound great. Two questions: How important is the 50 hour break-in period? How much better will these sound when my HTR-5650 fianally arrives? I have them hooked up to a 10+ year old Sony STR-AV770.

This Guy
03-14-2004, 02:09 PM
I personally don't believe in break in, but the fact your ears are getting used to these speakers. The speakers might sound a little smoother with a new receiver, and may be able to play louder with less distortion, but I'm not that familiar with the sony. They won't sound much different, experiment with different speaker positions for better sound.

-Joey

markw
03-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I don't really believe in break in either but I swear they sounded a little smoother in the mid/highs after listening to them on and off for a few days. Dunno if it was me or the speakers though...

Also, play with positioning. They image like bandits when properly positioned.

elvisisded
03-14-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, after some careful listening I can definitly hear a crackle on high pitched notes from both speakers. I tried the same cd's with my headphones and no crackle. Will this be worked out in time or should I return these? I'm kinda bummed out now. Other than that they seem to be fine.

elvisisded
03-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Code red averted! I hooked up my old speaker played the same cd and got the same crackle. I must have a poor connection with my receiver or something.

markw
03-14-2004, 05:09 PM
You did good to verify what you thought heard by another means before blaming/crediting your new addition.

We always listen more carefully when we change our system. We hear things that probably have always been there, but we never noticed them before 'cause we never listened that carefully.

Remember this if/when you jump into the cable upgrade morass. "New" things you hear with the new cables just might have been there all along. Most people are simply content to give credit to the new sounds without ever back testing.

Here's a little something you might enjoy.

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equipment/athena_audition_asf1_asc1_asb1.htm

Gooby
02-20-2006, 07:02 AM
I finally bought the Athena AS-F1's today. They look and sound great. Two questions: How important is the 50 hour break-in period? How much better will these sound when my HTR-5650 fianally arrives? I have them hooked up to a 10+ year old Sony STR-AV770.

Hi, Can you give me the specs on the Sony STR-AV770? I can't seem to find any information on it.

Thanks,
Gooby

calegrant
02-20-2006, 12:02 PM
He hasn't been active since September of last year, I don't think you'll get your answers from him.