NTSC Video and HD Cable Box [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : NTSC Video and HD Cable Box

Ace H
12-12-2008, 01:52 AM
I have a still perfectly good JVC 36" TV with Component Video Inputs and S-Video Inputs. I also have an HDTV. I subscribe to Digital Cable and I'm about to trade in my cable box for a HD Cable Box. If I get an extra HD Cable Box for the JVC TV (I would like to be ready for when I get another HDTV) and hook it up via the Component Video, will the JVC show component video quality picture. I fully realize it will NOT be a HD picture as the JVC is NOT a HDTV.

Woochifer
12-12-2008, 12:52 PM
At the very least, a HD cable box will give you progressive scan at 480p resolution. If your TV can handle progressive signals, then you'll get an immediate gain in picture quality.

pixelthis
12-12-2008, 02:03 PM
Even if its not HD it might still be worth it, as component is teh best way to deliver
analog signals anyway, also some sets have a "squeeze" feature that shows
letterboxed material with max resolution, dont know if yours has this or not.:1:

02audionoob
12-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I don't know the technical data of it all, but I have a CRT television hooked up to a cable box with HD. On our cable, there are three channels that carry each of the major network stations. One is HD with a 16:9 image, one is digital with a 4:3 image and one looks like it must be analog. The channels that look the best on that TV are the digital channels that are not HD. That indicates to me that the HD isn't helping.