Need help with an AR Christmas Tradition [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help with an AR Christmas Tradition

ForeverAutumn
12-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Can someone post Bernd's Tart au Citron recipe please? My copy is still in a box somewhere...don't know where...somewhere. Thanks!

RoadRunner6
12-11-2008, 12:51 AM
"..........Your search for "Bernd's Tart au Citron recipe" returned no results.
We recommend that you try the following:

Check your spelling.
Remove double quotes. Quotes indicate an exact phrase, removing them broadens your search.
Try using fewer words, your search may be too specific. Example: Instead of typing "tax free municipal bonds" try searching for "municipal bonds" or "bonds".
Try different words.
Rephrase your search using synonyms or related words. Example: Instead of "italian cuisine" try "italian cooking"..........."

Well, you can't say I didn't try. :D

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?encquery=b35ff0b0c0e6a504cff214ab6fc3471152 0322cfaf8e6d75&invocationType=keyword_rollover&ie=UTF-8

audio amateur
12-11-2008, 01:41 AM
My mom has a delicious recipe if you want to try it:)

basite
12-11-2008, 04:22 AM
here ya go:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20727&page=2&highlight=tarte+citron

scroll half way down the page...

or here it is:
The most delicious dessert imaginable.

A classic French dessert, and this version is absolutely divine. The method for the pastry is unusual, to say the least, but it produces a nice crisp, biscuity pastry which is ideal for this type of tart, as well as for fruit tarts. The quantity given will make three tart shells, but you can keep it in the fridge for a few days, or freeze it.

Ingredients
Pastry:
250g butter
175g icing sugar
2 small eggs, beaten
500g flour

Filling:
Zest of 4 lemons and 180 ml of juice
4 large eggs
120g caster sugar
120 ml double cream
icing sugar and lemon wedges to decorate

Method
For the pastry, cream together the butter and sugar till fluffy. Lightly mix in the eggs, then cut in the flour with a spatula. Knead gently for a few seconds to make a smooth dough, then wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for at least half an hour. You'll need to take it out of the fridge well before you want to use it as it is a bit tricky to handle.

Preheat the oven to 150C/300F. Roll out the dough to about 5 mm thick, and use it to line a 22 cm tin (I used a square one). You can make the sides of the tart double thickness by cutting the pastry an inch bigger all round and folding it down. Make the edges nice and neat though. Prick with a fork, line with greaseprooof paper and weight it down with baking beans. Chill for 20 minutes, then bake blind for 25 minutes on a pre-heated baking tray. Remove paper and beans and return to the oven for 5 minutes. The pastry should be crisp and lightly coloured. Set aside and turn the oven up to 170C/350F.

To make the filling, finely grate the zest from the lemons and squeeze enough juice to give the required quantity. Break the eggs into a bowl, add the sugar and whisk lightly to combine -- not until it's frothy. Then, still beating, add the lemon zest and juice and the cream. Put this mixture in a jug.

Put the pastry case on the baking tray and slide it out of the oven far enough to be able to pour the filling in, carefully. You want it to come virtually to the top of the pastry. Slide the tray back in, and bake for about 30 minutes until the filling is set and just firm in the centre.

Remove from the oven, sift icing sugar over it and caramelise the top under the grill . Serve at room temperature -- you don't need anything with it.

Peace

Bernd

Where is he, BTW, I kinda miss him here...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Awesome Bert! Thanks! I have a party to go to on Sunday and I promised to bring a dessert.

Now I just have to find my flame thrower for the final step. :)

Groundbeef
12-11-2008, 06:57 AM
I'd make it, but it uses that 'whacky' metric system. W/o tablespoons, teaspoons, and cups, I don't get it.

dean_martin
12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Good call, FA. This should be re-posted every Christmas season for noobs and the unorganized, forgetful and those who hide things from themselves.

My wife and I are hosting a cookie swap Christmas party this year. I was a little hesitant at first because of all the rules, but the response has been very positive. All the recipes will be collected and shared. If anything extraordinary shows up, I'll post.

Bernd
12-11-2008, 08:02 AM
Awesome Bert! Thanks! I have a party to go to on Sunday and I promised to bring a dessert.

Now I just have to find my flame thrower for the final step. :)

Good to know the old tart is still going strong.:cornut:
Anybody in the mood for a different one this x-mas?
We havn't got much time.

bobsticks
12-11-2008, 08:04 AM
We havn't got much time.

Ha! I was just going to PM you a link for this thread and suggest that perhaps, in addition to old faves, we start some new traditions. I'd imagine you've had the chance to experiment recently.

Good to see you back, friend.

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2008, 08:10 AM
We havn't got much time.

Yep, I'm still as strong as ever! ;)

I'd love a new recipe or two. Bring it on. That goes for anyone who wants to share a great recipe.

How about aa's mom's recipe? Let's hear it.

bobsticks
12-11-2008, 08:16 AM

Lol :p

Bernd
12-11-2008, 08:20 AM

I'd love a new recipe or two. Bring it on. That goes for anyone who wants to share a great recipe.

Good to know. Hope you're well.:)

audio amateur
12-11-2008, 09:38 AM

My mom's always been amazing at baking. It might be worth a try, I'll ask her for it and let you know when I have it.

Feanor
12-11-2008, 09:55 AM
here ya go:
http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=20727&page=2&highlight=tarte+citron

Bert.

But what is it? Lemon flavoured butter, eggs, and cream. My arteries constrict at the very list of ingredients -- yours would too if you'd had triple-bypass surgery.

Feanor
12-11-2008, 09:59 AM
We havn't got much time.

But how about something a little more nouvelle cuisine ... see my other post. ;)

Bernd
12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
But how about something a little more nouvelle cuisine ... see my other post. ;)

Well you asked for it. How about some.........................

Roast Pears with Honeyglaze Icecream:yesnod:

Hope you are well Feanor.

Feanor
12-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Well you asked for it. How about some.........................

Roast Pears with Honeyglaze Icecream:yesnod:

Hope you are well Feanor.

Got recipe??

Meanwhile I'm not bad but nothing works better with age.

How about you, your family, the dogs?

Bernd
12-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Got recipe??

Meanwhile I'm not bad but nothing works better with age.

How about you, your family, the dogs?

Isn't that the truth. Family and dogs are all fine. Took a chance on a project which demanded all my time. All turned out better as planned.:)
Recipe-here you go. It is rather a nice dessert.
Roast Pears With Honey Ice Cream

6 large pears
Juice of 3 lemons
1 litre of water
500g caster sugar

For the honey ice cream

6 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
500ml milk
100ml double cream
150g clear honey

For the caramel sauce

100g caster sugar with 100ml of poaching liquor from cooking the pears
100ml Poire William liquor
Lemon juice to taste

For the garnish

Julienne strips of lemon and orange zest
Red-currants and tiny mint leaves

To make the ice cream

Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar
Bring the milk to the boil and pour over the egg and sugar mixture
Return to the pan and stir constantly until the mixture is thickened to a custard
Take off the heat and stir in the double cream and honey
Leave until cold and then freeze in an ice cream maker

To poach the pears

Peel pears and reserve the skins
Put the pears in enough water to cover, add a little lemon juice to prevent them discolouring
In a large saucepan, stir the sugar into 1.2 litres of water and bring to the boil
Add the lemon juice and 5 of the pears
Cover with a lid and bring mixture back to boil as fast as possible
Simmer gently for 5 minutes and check to see if pears are done by piercing with a knife
When done, remove pan from heat and leave pears to cool in the liquid
When cool, drain thoroughly and put to one side
Using a small ball cutter (melon baller), and from the remaining uncooked pears, scoop out as many balls of pear flesh as possible
Put the pear balls in the cool poaching syrup
Gently bring the mixture to the boil, then remove from the heat and allow the balls to cool in the syrup

To make the caramel sauce

In a pan, over low heat, gently fry the pear skins with the sugar – they should eventually become caramelized
Add the poaching syrup and bring to the boil – simmer for 5 minutes
Sieve the sauce and then add the poire Williams liquor

To Serve

Pre-heat a grill to maximum
Slice each whole, poached pear downwards to get 3 good, flat, oval slices from each side of the core
Place the pear slices on a baking tray and sprinkle with caster sugar
Place them under the hot grill to caramelize the sugar and give the pear slices a crunchy, toffee surface
Poor a little of the caramel Sauce into the centre of the plate
Place the pear slices around the edges of the serving plate
Place a scoop of the honey ice cream in the centre of the plate
Garnish with the caramel sauce, the julienne, the pear balls, the redcurrants and tiny mint leaves

SERVES 4

Feanor
12-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Recipe-here you go. It is rather a nice dessert.
Roast Pears With Honey Ice Cream

Thanks a lot, Bernd.

It does sound a bit labour intensive to non-pro like me, though.

audio amateur
12-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks a lot, Bernd.

I thought your were married? :devil:

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2008, 02:36 PM
That sounds like a lovely recipe Bernd, but I agree that it seems like a lot of work. Perhaps I could just buy the ice cream?

I love poached pears. I will often serve them in place of a salad. I halve and core them and then bake them in a tray with white cranberry juice and freshly ground pepper then cool them in the fridge. Then I'll place one on a bed of baby spinach leaves, fill the cored hole with soft goat cheese and drizzle a mango dressing over them. It makes a lovely starter.

bobsticks
12-11-2008, 05:34 PM
I love poached pears. I will often serve them in place of a salad. I halve and core them and then bake them in a tray with white cranberry juice and freshly ground pepper then cool them in the fridge. Then I'll place one on a bed of baby spinach leaves, fill the cored hole with soft goat cheese and drizzle a mango dressing over them. It makes a lovely starter.

Sounds great Autumn...what temp and for how long, eh?

Feanor
12-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I thought your were married? :devil:

If it ain't thaw & heat, we don't eat.

ForeverAutumn
12-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Sounds great Autumn...what temp and for how long, eh?

Good question. I made the recipe up so I kind of wing it. I put the pears cut side down in a glass dish and add enough juice to cover them halfway and then cover the dish with tin foil to keep the pears from drying out. I bake them at 350F until I can easily slide a fork into them. If I had to guess, I'd say probably about 20 minutes but I honestly don't remember.

When they're cooked, I take them out of the oven and remove the foil to let them cool. Once they've cooled, they go into the fridge so that I can serve them chilled.

I've also poached them in a pot like Bernd suggests, but I prefer baking them in the oven...for no really good reason.

Bernd
12-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot, Bernd.

It isn't really that labour intensive, it just helps to have it written out exactly so it looks a lot. By all means buy the Ice-cream in the flavour you like, or use some Sorbet (Lime) to balance the sweetness. Cooking is about being creative. Some things work some don't.

audio amateur
12-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Well, my mom just e-mailed me the recipe:) Here it is:

Use a bought pie crust*, uncooked. Roll it out and place in a pie tin. Prick bottom of pie with fork in several places. It should be a large pie tin. (Over here we use a 25-30cm tin. In inches I think it would be 10 inch**. If you can't find a large tin don't pour quite all the lemon filling in or it may go overboard.)
pre-heat oven to 200 centigrade (392F)
beat together:
200 grams sugar
100 grams soft butter( not melted)
4 eggs
grated rind of 1 lemon
juice of 3 lemons (15 cl)
When smooth, pour into pie shell and bake for about 30 minutes. Watch carefully. If oven is too hot it will burn on top.

*She used to make her own crusts, but in France you can buy very decent pie crusts in store, so she tends to simply buy them now. **More like 12 inches, from what I've seen.
If someone attempts it let me know how it was. Enjoy!