Plasma glare, how much ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plasma glare, how much ?

SAGENT
12-10-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Panasonic plasma ( TH-50PZ80u ) and the only thing holding me back is the amount of glare I will receive in the room . Right now I've got a 36" Toshiba CRT and I can live with the amount I get in the daytime. Will I receive more glare with a flat screen plasma and should I consider a 120 hz LCD?

RoadRunner6
12-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I have the equivalent Panny model in a Costco version, TH-C50FD18. It has a non-glare sceen and I have zero problems with reflections. Also it has a satin black bezel versus the shiny black one on the 50PZ80U. I would worry more about reflections off the bezel than off the screen IMO.

Woochifer
12-10-2008, 03:28 PM
The amount of glare off a plasma screen will depend on the individual model. The Panasonic, Samsung, and Pioneer plasmas all have some sort of anti-glare or anti-reflective screen, so they probably won't reflect as much as your CRT. Not sure about LG's current models, but my parents' three-year old LG plasma is every bit as reflective as a CRT.

You need to look out for differences in screen glare with LCDs as well. Many of Samsung's newer LCD TVs now have a glossy screen that's a lot more reflective than the matted screens used by others. Laptop computers and computer LCD monitors have been trending towards shiny glossy screens for the last few years, and now they've arrived on LCD TVs as well. Surveys with computer owners indicate that they prefer glossy screens, so Samsung is betting that HDTV buyers share that preference.