Pretty cool Rasputin's haul last night. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pretty cool Rasputin's haul last night.

Finch Platte
12-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Grabbed a Sony Box It Up comp from the counter as I walked in. Single songs by Cheap Trick live at Bukkake, Nina Simone, Johnny Cash live from Folsom, Willie, Billy Joel (ack), Miles Davis and Roy Orbison. Huh? Weird roster of artists. Oh, well, it was free. So I grabbed another. :devil:

Looked in vain for the discs I had on my list. Dead Confederate. Nope. New Umphreys. Naw. Gavin Harrison. Nyet. *sigh* ...head over to the fitty-cent bin.

Holy sh!t! Stuff's been added!! My eyes grow big as I start pulling stuff, good stuff off the shelves. Wound up with around 24 discs, including a reggae DVD.

The haul:

Umphrey's McGee- umlive (3-disc set recorded at the Riviera Theatre in Chicago, NYE 2004)

Metallica, the DVD part of St. Anger :D I watched this. Once. I'll watch it again, on a slow night.

Filter- Hey Man, Nice Shot maxi-single (4 remixes plus a bonus track)

Deconstruction Remember Dave Navarro from his stint in the Red Hot Chili Peppers? He's in Deconstruction (guitar) along w/ bassist Eric Avery (both from Jane's Addiction), and it's a pretty good disc, surprisingly. Slosh turned me on to these guys a long time ago. Now I have a real CD of it.

Bare Jr.- Bootay (already have this, but it's good & I'll pass it along)

School Of Fish- 3 Strange Days remixes (when I went up to pay, the guy at the counter said he used to employ Josh Clayton-Felt when they worked at Tower in Los Angeles. He said "he's got a solo album out." I said, "yeah, it's terrible!" and he kind of agreed. I know, he actually has 2 solo discs out <yes, I have them>, but I didn't want to prolong the conversation. :D )

Buffalo Tom- Birdbrain

Thrice- The Artist In The Ambulance

Antigone Rising- From The Ground Up (been reading about the female drummer- they're all female in this band, actually, in drum mags, and was curious) This is live from somewhere, details are sketchy

Peter Gabriel- Lovetown (3 songs from the movie Philadelphia)

Paste mag sampler June/July '05

onesidezero- is this room getting smaller (no idea who this is, but the cover is intriguing)

Ned's Atomic Dustbin- Are You Normal? A classic. Already got, but someone else will get it.

Ozzy Osbourne- Black Rain (no idea what this is, but I've neighbor who will take this if I don't want it. It's damn rawkin' pretty hard, for an old geezer! No credits, so I have no idea who's playing on it.)

Faith No More- King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime

Shawn Colvin- Fat City (wow- I thought I had this, but I don't. Cool! But I know the songs... wtf?)

White Zombie- The KMFDM remixes of Thunder Kiss and Black Sunshine

Cash- American IV: The Man Comes Around (kinda scratched, but I took a chance. For fitty cents, why not? Amazing how many effed up discs turn out ok after you burn them.)

New Noise- an EMI sampler from way back

Tangerine Dream- Shepherd's Bush (I only grabbed this because I had to hear their 8:50 minute version of Eleanor Rigby :^) Oh, and the hair on the cover. :frown2: ) This is terrible. It took 3 people to make this mess?

The Farmers- Loaded. Looks like the guys from the Beat Farmers did a disc after Country Dick died. I'll bet this is HORRIBLE. Hmmm. I started reading the lyrics & had to hear "Uncle Stinky." My new favorite song. :22:

Jimmie's Chicken Shack- Bring Your Own Stereo (advance version) I like these guys.

And last but not least, local boy (Stockton, CA) Dirk Hamilton's sufferupachuckle. He had an awesome debut, w/ a ton of great players on it, and then faded away, releasing stuff every now & then. I hear he's big in Italy. AllMusic doesn't rate any of his discs under 4 stars. :crazy:

Nothing puts a smile on my face like a heaping, steamy pile of "new" music. Total, w/ my discount, around $12.50. :2: Hell, that Umphrey's McGee disc is worth more than that!

fp

ForeverAutumn
12-10-2008, 12:03 PM
Well Rah Rah Rasputin's!

Wish I could get 50 cent CDs here. Never seen 'em that cheap.

Finch Platte
12-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Well Rah Rah Rasputin's!

Wish I could get 50 cent CDs here. Never seen 'em that cheap.

You don't have a used CD store around you?

Poor Canadian. :19:

fp

Woochifer
12-10-2008, 01:09 PM
Yep, Rasputin is a bargain hunter's paradise ... a lot of good stuff winds up in their clearance bins. Over the years, I've found a lot of good stuff (and took my chances on some veritable crap as well) in those bins. Great way to spend an afternoon.

It's a shame that they only cover Northern and Central California, because I think they have a great business model. The Rasputin store closest to my house lost its lease due to redevelopment, and I'm surprised at how much my music buying has declined since then. I used to sell back my old CDs and DVDs, and occasionally take advantage of their 60% return policy (they'll refund 60% within the return period on any CD you buy).

In other communities, Rasputin is a godsend and a lifeline. They took over the leases at several former Tower Records locations when Tower got liquidated. In places like Stockton and Fresno, Rasputin is the only deep catalog music store within 50+ miles.

P.S. Funny that you mention onesidezero -- I picked that one up as well several years ago, so I guess it remains a fixture in Rasputin's clearance section. IIRC, I took a chance on that album because it was on Maverick Records and Jason Bentley (KCRW DJ) at that time was working A&R for that label. I think I played it once, didn't really like it, and returned it. Can't go wrong taking a chance on something for less than a buck.

Finch Platte
12-10-2008, 01:28 PM
Yep, Rasputin is a bargain hunter's paradise ... a lot of good stuff winds up in their clearance bins. Over the years, I've found a lot of good stuff (and took my chances on some veritable crap as well) in those bins. Great way to spend an afternoon.

It's a shame that they only cover Northern and Central California, because I think they have a great business model. The Rasputin store closest to my house lost its lease due to redevelopment, and I'm surprised at how much my music buying has declined since then. I used to sell back my old CDs and DVDs, and occasionally take advantage of their 60% return policy (they'll refund 60% within the return period on any CD you buy).

In other communities, Rasputin is a godsend and a lifeline. They took over the leases at several former Tower Records locations when Tower got liquidated. In places like Stockton and Fresno, Rasputin is the only deep catalog music store within 50+ miles.

P.S. Funny that you mention onesidezero -- I picked that one up as well several years ago, so I guess it remains a fixture in Rasputin's clearance section. IIRC, I took a chance on that album because it was on Maverick Records and Jason Bentley (KCRW DJ) at that time was working A&R for that label. I think I played it once, didn't really like it, and returned it. Can't go wrong taking a chance on something for less than a buck.

Nice- thanks for the info and I can't believe you remembered the onesidezero disc!

Our Rasputin's gives 76% on returns brought back w/in 8 days. Love that policy!

fp

Hyfi
12-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Buffalo Tom- Birdbrain

Wow, I didn't think anyone ever heard of this band. I have never heard a whole disk but in the old tv show My So Called Life, the main character played by Clair Danes goes to a concert where they are on the show playing live.

bobsticks
12-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Hey man, nice haul.

I buy stuff for the cover all the time.