Looking forward to any new music on the horizon? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking forward to any new music on the horizon?

3-LockBox
12-09-2008, 04:41 PM
I just heard a few samples of the upcoming Umphrey's McGee album, Mantis, and the first track I heard sounded good (and in a regular way, not a proggy way).

Finch Platte
12-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I just heard a few samples of the upcoming Umphrey's McGee album, Mantis, and the first track I heard sounded good (and in a regular way, not a proggy way).

Man, I love UM- they're one of my favorite bands right now. I didn't know they had a new one coming out- thanks for the tip!

Where'd you hear the samples?

fp

Finch Platte
12-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Oops, I didn't list new stuff I was looking forward to getting. On my list of things to get are: Drop, by PT's Gavin Harrison and a guy named 05Ric. I have samples of 2 of their songs, and they aren't so hot, so this looks like a disc I'll buy, record & take back for credit on something else. 'Drop' is the first fruit of Porcupine Tree drummer Gavin Harrison’s collaboration with singer and Extended Range Bass player 05Ric, and features contributions from Robert Fripp, Dave Stewart and Gary Sanctuary. Nine carefully crafted songs combined with ground-breaking multi-layered guitars, vocal harmonies and rhythms.

That something else might be Dead Confederate: Dead Confederate take a spacy approach to indie rock by peppering their music with psychedelic songcraft and atmospheric washes of guitar. Seeds for the band's formation were planted during the late-'90s, when future bandmates Hardy Morris (vocals, guitar), Brantley Senn (bass), Walker Howle (guitar), John Watkins (keyboards), and Jason Scarboro (drums) bonded over a shared affinity for Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath. Although hailing from Augusta, GA, the quintet relocated to Atlanta following college. A second move quickly followed, this time to Athens, where the group doubled its touring efforts and caught the attention of former Capitol Records president Gary Gersh. Impressed with the band's haunting sound, Gersh signed Dead Confederate to his new label, The Artists Organization, and issued their debut EP in early 2008. A full-length album, Wrecking Ball, followed in September.

If I can't find that, I'll look for the new UM disc, and if I can't find that, I'll pick up Stephen Colbert's Xmas Special thing. And if I can't find that, I'll focking shoot myself.

The end.

fp

Hyfi
12-09-2008, 07:20 PM
The Gavin Harrison sounds good Finch. I have a whole lot more respect for him after seeing the KC show. Is it something you think I would like?

Nothing new for me but I am hoping Santa slips the following oldies but goodies under my tree.

CGT+2 with Levin and Mastelloto
California Guitar Trio is awesome alone but with Levin and Mastelloto they are better. Mastelloto was the other half of the King Crimson drum duet with Harrison so I'm looking forward to his chops.

Marcus Miller Live Live & More
After seeing Marcus live with Clarke and Wooten I had to have more. He is all over my GRP disks as well as Miles Davis but I have no solo disks......yet

October Project
Self titled cd from 1993. This one has many a good tune and I find Mary's voice captivating. She sort of picks up where Annie Haslam leaves off.

Hopefully a few Oracle and PL SQL books will find their way under the tree also. Any DBAs out here?

jonnyhambone
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Umphrey's is great fun live but I haven't thought to listen to 'em hanging in the living room. I think of them as only live...I guess They hang out in living rooms sometimes - I'll have to give 'em a spin.
I've been really enjoying High Places - s/t the past week. Kinda bedroom-electro-pop with a woman singing in a lovely and happy way. It reminds me of the Raincoats and of Panda Bear's excellent Person Pitch album. I was looking forward to picking this up on vinyl with X-mas money but Amazon sent me a free mp3 album download for buying stuff and there ya' go.

Now I'm looking forward to the new Antony and the Johnsons album in Jan. The 'Another World' ep from a few months ago is amazing. They don't get mentioned much here but I don't know much music coming out right now that isn't this gorgeous. Curious about the new Animal Collective. I'm going to buy the mono lp of the Byrds Turn!, Turn!, Turn! if anyone sends me any money for Christmas - and that's exciting...I do loves me some Gene Clark, jangly Rickenbacker, and sweet harmonies.

3-LockBox
12-10-2008, 11:44 AM
I guess PT is taking a sabatical. I didn't know Harrison was doing a solo.

I did know that Steven Wilson was.
Here's a link:
http://www.insurgentes.org/news--events/insurgentes-retail-edition--download-on-sale!.aspx (http://www.insurgentes.org/news--events/insurgentes-retail-edition--download-on-sale!.aspx)

Demetrio
04-03-2009, 10:02 AM
Right now I'm looking for these:

=> SECRET MACHINES self titled - I liked their two first releases a lot, especially the second, "Ten Silver Drops", so I'm expecting something very good on their third, self titled album.

=> AMETHYSTIUM Isabliss - I love the three other releases from this project, so can't wait to get this new album too. This is Ambient music at the very best.

=> TRESPASSERS WILLIAM Having – I got "Different Stars" some days ago and just loved it. Slow music just the way I enjoy so much.

=> PURE REASON REVOLUTION Amor Vincit Omnia – Can hardly wait to get this also, since I loved their debut full-lenght release (The Dark Third).

=> MOONGARDEN RoundMidnight – Read somewhere that this is very NOSOUND & NO-MAN like (two of my favorite listens nowadays).

=> MARILLION Somewhere in London DVD – I love Marillion, that’s why I’m in the market to get all their DVDs available (it seems to me that this is the one I don’t have yet).

Drop, by PT's Gavin Harrison and a guy named 05Ric. I have samples of 2 of their songs, and they aren't so hot
Hey, thanks, I have just added this to my want list too.

Demetrio.

Slosh
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm still trying to get a feel for some of my 2009 albums . . . . .
http://i432.photobucket.com/albums/qq41/Slosh_album/screen0.jpg
. . . . . but I am looking forward to new Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers, Richard Davies, and Future Of The Left.

ForeverAutumn
04-03-2009, 11:00 AM
How's that Trail of Dead disk sounding for you now that you've had time to spin it a few more times (I'm assuming).

Finch Platte
04-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Man, I'm really bumming on the new Umphrey's. It sounds really low-key and amazingly enough, like they didn't put much time into it (which I know they did). It just kinda lays there. :frown2:

The new Mastadon, otoh, I like lots. if you can get the copy w/ the DVD, do. Makes the entire experience a lot better when you know what's going on behind the scenes.

3-LockBox
04-03-2009, 02:36 PM
Man, I'm really bumming on the new Umphrey's. It sounds really low-key and amazingly enough, like they didn't put much time into it (which I know they did). It just kinda lays there. :frown2:

really?

I mean, really....?

I love this album :14:

Mr Peabody
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I've got the Dark Third.

I'm really interested to see what this Chicken Foot album is going to sound like. Projects like this can sometimes suck despite the great talents. To refresh anyone's memory CF is Sammy Hagar/Joe Satriani/Michael Anthony and I don't know on drums, first base!

Any of you have Aphrodite's Child, 666? I've had this on vinyl forever and recently bought it on disc when I saw it for a good price. I'm not sure if it was ever available except on import which sold for big dollar. I hope Demetrio has a copy, if not, you should get one.

Not looking forward to much else except stuff off here that i go check out. In recent years I've bought more off suggestions made on AR and following other links from those bands than from bands off the radio or the like.

Oh, one other thing, anyone else heard Seether's version of Careless Whisper? It's really good. I'm not sure why they released it though, it's only available on I-tunes that i know of. Maybe an upcoming album is around the corner? Or, maybe bands are going back to just selling singles. Wouldn't that be something.

BarryL
04-06-2009, 08:02 AM
666 is strange.

But The Four Horsemen is a classic tune. I also love Aegian Sea.

Mr Peabody
04-07-2009, 06:54 PM
666 is a bit different but I like disc one quite a bit. I got Armageddon in today.

Mr MidFi
04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
I heard a few tracks off the new Gomez disc today, and I think I'm liking it. Anyone else heard this one?

And while I'm waiting for the June-or-July release of the next Wilco disc, I can report that a live concert DVD is dropping on 4/28 (or 4/18 if you pre-order from their web site). It looks very intriguing to me.

And...Aphrodite's Child, 666? Sweet jeebus, that's one farked-up album. Permanently warped my impressionable little mind, back in the day.

bobsticks
04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm looking forward to the new T.I. disc...in about a year-and-a-half...

God, I'm out of it....

3-LockBox
04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I heard a few tracks off the new Gomez disc today, and I think I'm liking it. Anyone else heard this one?

I heard some tracks off it last night. I may pick this one up right away when I land on my feet. It is good. I saw that they had other albums out, so they've been around a while. Last night was the first time I'd heard of them. Another one of those bands that slip in under the radar.

3-LockBox
04-09-2009, 09:30 AM
I also heard a few tracks by another group I've never heard of before, Bat For Lashes (where do they come up with these names?). Kinduva mix of folk by way of singing and lyrics, while the music has a slight electronica flavor. Female lead singer is good to just ok in spots, but her imperfection accentuates the organic moods of certain songs. BTW: organic female vox and electronic/dub music doesn't necessarily mean this sounds just like Kosheen, but its similar. I could see some of the indie/quirk meisters around here digging it.

Mr Peabody
04-09-2009, 06:37 PM
What's Gomez like?

3-LockBox
04-09-2009, 07:47 PM
What's Gomez like? The new one, which I only heard a little bit of, reminded me of the last Guster album, only where Guster is more alt-pop influenced, leaning towards The Shins territory, Gomez is a tad bluesier in its approach. I'd still label it organic alt-pop though. It definitely sounds like something I'm gonna wanna buy.

3-LockBox
04-13-2009, 11:45 AM
Anyone care that a new Dredg CD is coming out in May?

Slosh
04-13-2009, 01:11 PM
First spin. Didn't even know it was coming out. Nice Surprise! :)

NP:

Demetrio
04-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Anyone care that a new Dredg CD is coming out in May?

Yes, me. I can hardly wait for this. "El Cielo" and "Catch Without Arms" are among some of the best albums in the genre I heard in recent years (the only release from this band I didn't enjoy that much was "Leitmotif").

Some others on my want list right now, in addition to my previous message in this thread:

=> SIGUR RÓS - Med Sud (ordered just yesterday)

=> OURS - Mercy (also ordered yesterday)

=> RICHARD BARBIERI - Stranger Inside

=> DEMIANS - Building an Empire

=> GAVIN HARRISON - Circles

=> O.S.I. - Blood

=> THEO TRAVIS - Double Talk

=> RAFAEL ANTON IRISARRI - Daydreaming

Kind regards,
Demetrio.

Mr Peabody
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Never heard of Dredg, checked out some samples, sounds like a MTV 80's throw back.

The O.S.I. linked me to a cool sounding sample from Lunatic Souls, any one have them already?

Noticed this past January it seems a bunch of King Crimson was reissued or they waited to release a bunch of new albums at once :)

3-LockBox
04-13-2009, 04:21 PM
I am interested in what Barberi and Harrison might do. The new Steven Wilson kinda sounds like another Blackfield project to me.