Noddin's Best of 2008 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noddin's Best of 2008

noddin0ff
12-09-2008, 05:23 AM
I told myself I’d get this together before I listened to other year end comps. Now I’m dying to hear Slosh’s, so I need to put this up quick. I’m happy to report very little overlap. I had to cheat again this year; Herbie is from 2007 but I figure that’s OK for Jazz since it doesn’t turn over so fast anyway.

This comp will probably appeal to geezers more, as the last half is pretty mellow. If you are a geezer, you can turn your hearing aid off for #01 & 02.

I recommend the albums for 01, 08, and 11. Also highly recommend 14, but this is a kid’s album (ages 4 and up).

01 We Call Upon the Author - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!)
02 Something Is Not Right With Me - Cold War Kids (Loyalty to Loyalty)
03 Transliterator-Devotchka (A Mad & Faithful Telling)
04 Soul of a Man - Beck (Modern Guilt)
05 Mr. Richards - R.E.M. (Accelerate)
06 Superhero Brother - G. Love & Special Sauce (Superhero Brother)
07 Undone - Devotchka (A Mad & Faithful Telling)
08 Heron Blue - Sun Kil Moon-(April)
09 Tea Leaf Prophecy (feat. Joni Mitchell) - Herbie Hancock (River: The Joni Letters)
10 Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most - Cassandra Wilson (Loverly)
11 Drucilla - Nicholas Payton (Into the Blue)
12 Hip Side - Gonzalo Rubalcaba (Avatar)
13 Edith and the Kingpin (feat. Tina Turner) - Herbie Hancock (River: The Joni Letters)
14 The Squalb - Medeski, Martin & Wood (Let's Go Everywhere)

Total time 72 mins. You can PM me for hard copy.

You can download tracks individually as flac or you can get the bandwidth friendly MP3 versions split into two separate .zip files. Also, find a jewel case insert as PDF.

Click here for Noddin’s Best of 2008 (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=dd85338fe38850ebde385df5c3eff3ab83cce4ba 59883b19)

Now I get to go listen to Slosh’s! Yay!

ForeverAutumn
12-09-2008, 07:03 AM
Cool. Now I have a good reason to try out that MAX program you recommended. :)

Slosh
12-12-2008, 05:20 AM
This is the first time ever listening to Cold War Kids. Is the singing always like that? Not sure if that's something I can get used to. Like the music though.

NP:

noddin0ff
12-12-2008, 07:49 AM
This is the first time ever listening to Cold War Kids. Is the singing always like that? Not sure if that's something I can get used to. Like the music though.

NP:

LOL. Unfortunately, that is a pretty good representation of the vocals. The slower bit around 1:30 is more fair to the vocalist and this track does have more of the screaming. Generally raw and uneven about sums it up.

Slosh
12-12-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, if I could get used to Robyn Hitchcock . . . . . :)

Kinda growing on me. I'll hafta listen to a few more samples before pulling the trigger.

NP:

3-LockBox
12-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I'll have to download this tonight. Other than the Nick Cave - other than the Nick Cave, I haven't heard any of the rest on this comp.

Swish
12-13-2008, 12:54 PM

NP:

...from some slack shouldered sack of nuts in Indiana, and I said the same thing. I could not tolerate the lead singers vocals for more than a couple songs without ejecting the disc. The songs are pretty good, but I truly think his voice is annoying.

bobsticks
12-13-2008, 06:57 PM
...from some slack shouldered sack of nuts in Indiana...

When time permits I shall exact a swift and terrible revenge.

Swish
12-14-2008, 06:21 AM
When time permits I shall exact a swift and terrible revenge.

Who could resist such an obvious piece 'o bait?

Swish 'aka' Al Gore (no, I didn't miss that backhand from you)

noddin0ff
12-30-2008, 08:11 AM
Ok, I pulled the trigger on 2008 too fast. I'm revising my best of to include at track from Petitie Oiseau, that I promoted in another thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=29137). For the few that have hit the downloads, I highly recommend grabbing this track and adding it.

For those that haven't, act now and receive this special bonus...

I uploaded it as Track 14 Talap's Theme - Petite Oiseau of Noddin's Best of, in both flac and MP3. You can still go to the link below and download the whole thing or the parts you want. The MP3 is not bundled in the 2 part zip. You'll have to get it separately.

Click here for Noddin's Best of 2008 (http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=dd85338fe38850ebde385df5c3eff3ab83cce4ba 59883b19)
Happy to send CD's on request.

New track listing should be.

01 We Call Upon the Author - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds (Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!)
02 Something Is Not Right With Me - Cold War Kids (Loyalty to Loyalty)
03 Transliterator-Devotchka (A Mad & Faithful Telling)
04 Soul of a Man - Beck (Modern Guilt)
05 Mr. Richards - R.E.M. (Accelerate)
06 Superhero Brother - G. Love & Special Sauce (Superhero Brother)
07 Undone - Devotchka (A Mad & Faithful Telling)
08 Heron Blue - Sun Kil Moon-(April)
09 Tea Leaf Prophecy (feat. Joni Mitchell) - Herbie Hancock (River: The Joni Letters)
10 Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most - Cassandra Wilson (Loverly)
11 Drucilla - Nicholas Payton (Into the Blue)
12 Hip Side - Gonzalo Rubalcaba (Avatar)
13 Edith and the Kingpin (feat. Tina Turner) - Herbie Hancock (River: The Joni Letters)
14 Talaps Theme - William Parker Quartet (Petite Oiseau)
15 The Squalb - Medeski, Martin & Wood (Let's Go Everywhere)

Total time is now 77:28. So you'll want to make sure you have a 700Mb/80min CD-R.

Cheers!