Holy Crap... the new Star Trek Movie. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap... the new Star Trek Movie.

Kam
12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/puXPozd-kuc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/puXPozd-kuc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>

WOW.

Worf101
12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
As I said two months ago, they look like refugees from High School Musical 2000. I think they've mined this puppy as far as they can go. They'ver already gone "backwards" with "Enterprise". Wake me when it's over..

Da Worfster

kexodusc
12-08-2008, 05:53 AM
I'm intrigued. If the movie's good and it's a well-executed approach to an old theme with old friends, then so what? There will always be franchise fans who want more...me included.

This looks not half bad to be honest.
Time will tell.

I think people are forgetting, there's a whole generation that grew up largely ignorant of the original Star Trek series and even some of their movies. For them it was TNG and the modern spin-offs. This has potential.

Ajani
12-08-2008, 07:17 AM
It worked for Batman. It worked for James Bond. So it might just work for Star Trek.

JSE
12-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Not a "Trekie" (sorry Worf) but this movie looks like it might be kindof cool. Like Kex mentioned, I think they are going after a new fan base while hoping to still keep the die hards.

One thing, the new Spock creeps me out. Kindof androgynous? <= total guess on spelling!

Auricauricle
12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
Looks like we're gonna see a little SPACESKIN!!!!! Who d'ya think it is? Uhuru? Nurse Chapel? The Green Girl??? OHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOYOHBOY....!

GMichael
12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Was that the guy from Heros as Spock?

Ajani
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Was that the guy from Heros as Spock?

Yep...

3-LockBox
12-08-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm with Worf on this one. That opening sequence in the trailer and subsequent scene with Cameron Kirky on the motorcycle is soooo Top Gun. If only it were an original, fresh take on an old idea, but this smells of a cliche riddled, fast-n-furious, gen-next action flick dressed as a Star Trek movie. Look who is at the helm...J.J. Abrams, the 21st century's version of Irwin Allen. This will be his usual ADHD afflicted affair.

Time to put a fork in this old bird.

Troy
12-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Looks like Starship Troopers to me, only it's serious . . .

GMichael
12-09-2008, 07:20 AM
Yep...

That's a little creepy for me. But I'll hold off judgment until I've seen it.

Auricauricle
12-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Maybe they ought save some money and respectability and combine the Star Trek movie with the next "Ocean's" (13, etc.): Oceans' Trek? Maybe someone will finally wise up, cut the cheese, and can them once and for all!

canuckle
12-10-2008, 10:44 PM
I think it looks great. The trailer alone is better than any of the dreadful movies with the next generation cast.

Kam
12-11-2008, 07:57 AM
from the trailer i can't quite tell if the casting is good or not, i think they're trying to create iconic images out of non-iconic looking guys. you can't be too pretty and be iconic, for a dude at least, unless you're ridiculously good looking ala brando or dean AND have the chops to back it up. these kids look a touch to kiddish, especially in comparison to nemoy showing up in that last shot and looking as all-iconic-as-get-out.

but... in the context of the movie it could work, and being a jj abrams fanboy i'll be going because of him more so than because it's star trek. and the action sequences do look pretty kickass.

RGA
12-21-2008, 11:40 PM
A 20 something adrenaline junkie as Captain of the flagship of a military fleet is preposterous.

And the films never really captured the essence of what Star Trek was supposed to be about with the possible exception of Star Trek IV: Which also did the best with viewers who were not Star Trek fans. That is not to say that other movies were not good - like the Wrath of Khan but that was more cowboys doing battle in space.

This looks to be an all out special effects spectacle and might be a decent action film - but based on that albeit short trailer this just looks like a cash grab and I still doubt it will get non Trek fans out to the theaters. I know lots of 20 year old's who are well aware of Star Trek - most people are familiar with television shows a decade before they were born given all the reruns and parent collections.

Prequel and remakes of Science fiction is so blatantly SAD - Science fiction has boundless creativity and the producers are relegated to prequels and remakes. The show Enterprise was a dismal banal irritating flop and I was hoping the Klingons would blow them up. And even then the best shows of that entire series was when they had TNG cast members on.

3-LockBox
12-27-2008, 06:15 AM
A 20 something adrenaline junkie as Captain of the flagship of a military fleet is preposterous...Prequel and remakes of Science fiction is so blatantly SAD - Science fiction has boundless creativity and the producers are relegated to prequels and remakes.

Two superb points. That's why I called the beginning of the trailer, "topgunish". Its aimed squarely at the Fast N Furious/Grand Theft Auto mentality.

And yes, science fiction should offer up boundless opportunities for new and heretofore unexplored subject matter. But yet Hollywood offers up refried, warmed over, uninspired remakes. A movie like this screams money grab. The tastemongers criticize M.Night Shamalan, but at least the guy tries, even if he is too self-indulgent, to present new material or new angles on old ideas.