vintage receiver for under 200 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : vintage receiver for under 200

rodan1994
03-14-2004, 10:52 AM
can ya all give me any suggestions on a good receiver. abd how much i should pay. thanks. j.

brigrizzme
03-15-2004, 08:48 AM
can ya all give me any suggestions on a good receiver. abd how much i should pay. thanks. j.

I have listened to many older Marantz receivers and have always been impressed. Plus, they look great. If you need gobs of power, the Marantz is not for you. I think most of their older stuff is 20-60 watts per channel.

Good Luck.

topspeed
03-15-2004, 12:45 PM

I'll second the Marantz. I'm running a 2230 (30wpc) with Von Schweikert VR1's and the combo sounds wonderful. The vintage Marantz receiver's are reknown for their smoothness and durability. I'd stack their sound against any modern receiver. Their main problem lies with the volume attenuator which has a tendency to get dirty and therefore make these awful crackling sounds when adjusting the volume. It can be cleaned but just be aware of the problem.
e-bay always has some for sale, here's what I have.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3084248449&category=50591

There's also a 2265B which is very highly sought after. 1 day left on that one so hurry!
Good luck

03-15-2004, 04:54 PM
Sometimes you can get some decent stuff at a garage sale.
Stuff from the 70s sometimes appear in neighbourhoods that want to clear their homes of old stuff. I think my girlfriend's dad bought a vintage turntable speaker cabinet (you know those HUGE ones with the speakers built in) for only $10 cdn. It's still in good working order, except the speakers sound only better than a high quality radio clock. But you may find something there for...maybe $15. Good stuff...maybe $40 at most. Anything more shouldnt be called garage sale items

piece-it pete
03-16-2004, 10:19 AM
Marantz 2275, very well thought of, that's 75 REAL wpc:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1084115662

$225 inc. frt! Not bad. I'd think you'd really like it. It rocks. And looks good. And tends to appreciate in value!

I'd also try posting at audiokarma.org.

Pete