sub hookup [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : sub hookup

smpha8
12-06-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a onkyo TX-DS575X receiver and a new Polk Audio PSW505 powered sub. What is the best wiring from receiver to sub? Don't know if my subwoofer pre out is filtered by my receiver or not but I connected from the sub pre out to the right and left channel on my sub via a splitter to do so.I'm not sure if this is ok or the LFE connection on the sub should be used. Also, what about the PHASE switch setting on the sub? Any help would be appreciated!

Mr Peabody
12-06-2008, 09:12 PM
Your receiver does the filtering, or crossing over, of frequencies. If you have any of your speakers set inside the receiver's menu to small you should select a crossover point. 5.1 or better movies have most of the frequencies directed and encoded in the movie's soundtrack mix. So you should probably be using the subs LFE input which I'm guessing does not have, or bypasses, the subs crossover, you should check your manual to be sure.

The phase switch you will have to play with to see which way is best. Sometimes a sub can get out of phase with the main speakers, flipping the switch will put it back into phase with your other speakers. When your main speaker's woofer is on an outward motion, so should your sub, they all should be in unison when moving back and forth. Out of phase, when the sub and speakers are moving opposite of each other can cause a lack of bass response because the out of phase frequencies cancel out each other.. If you have a movie that features the THX Optimizer in the menu, it has audio tests and one is a phase test. Second thought, that test is just for the main 5, not the sub.

smpha8
12-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm grateful! My speaker setup is front-large, center-small, surround-small,and subwoofer-on. My speaker channel setup is all speakers set to 0 db including subwoofer and the range is from -12 db to +12 db. My input format is set to digital and my RE-EQ (cinema re-equalization) is set to ON. I do have a LFE push button on receiver display but it don't work or doesn't show in display when pushed anyway. I don't have LFE jack on back of receiver but have subwoofer pre out jack which I hooked to sub via cable splitter to R/L line in (filtered). My PHASE switch is a toggle from 0 to 180 degrees and it has POWER on-standby-auto etc.My front speakers are acoustic audio H-CD12 and are digital ready with an adjustable response knob of -0 db to high range (looks like +4 db) and are set to normal (0 db). The fronts also have tweeters,midranges, and 12" polypropylene woofers. Center channel speaker is a DCM with 2 5" midranges and a very small tweeter. My rears are Cerwin Vega model L-7, 75 watt, 8 ohm.
How do I get the fronts and sub in unison with each other and hookup my sub properly? Thanks and your knowledge is respected! Steve at smpha8@insightbb.com.