One Further Blu Ray Question Concerning My 1080i HDTV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : One Further Blu Ray Question Concerning My 1080i HDTV

EdwardGein
12-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Thanks guys for educating me. One more question I have is both my HDTV's are 1080i not 1080p. Is Blu-Ray wasted if your watching it on a 1080i HDTV not a 1080p one. My brother in laws friend said if I watch it on my 1080i set, I'm only getting about 70% of what I should be getting on the picture. If that's so, it just sounds like a waste of money for me unless I have a 1080p HDTV. There's no way I'm going to get a new HDTV when I like my current one just so I can play blu ray right!

canuckle
12-06-2008, 02:33 AM
You should do some reading on interlace vs. progressive. The Cole's Notes of it is that if you're sitting at least twice as far away from the TV as the diagonal measure of the screen, then it is completely impossible to tell the difference between i and p. Your brother in law's friend is an idiot.

02audionoob
12-06-2008, 05:49 AM
After asking a similar question in this forum I decided to buy a Blu-ray player on Black Friday for use on my 1080i TV. It is a very worthwhile improvement. The picture is much sharper and detailed...and that's not to mention the impressive audio improvement. I also have a 720p TV. I suspect I'll get one more Blu-ray player for it, considering how good the improvement is on the first one.

EdwardGein
12-06-2008, 05:54 AM
Ok, now it looks like I'm back to getting it again. Are there any other people with 1080i not p HDTV's who have Blu-Ray and is the difference Night and Day?

blackraven
12-06-2008, 06:18 AM
Get a BR, the picture and sound are better and they have come way down in price.

EdwardGein
12-06-2008, 07:12 AM
I realize its going to be better but is it night and day better if you have a 1080i HDTV?

RoadRunner6
12-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Into semantics here. Night and day, not the way I would describe it. Probably more accurate would be a very noticable improvement. From very good to excellent or 4 stars to 5 stars.

Not all HDTV's are created equally. A lot depends on the quality of your 1080i set and the quality of the mvoie (not all BD's have top quality video and audio).

Buy a quality Blu-Ray player (Panasonic or Sony) from Costco or other store where you have a satisfaction guarantee. Rent yourself a BR movie that has a 5 star video rating from a HT magazine (like Dead's Man's Chest) and check it out. I did that on the Panny 768p I had last month and the picture quality was superb versus the regular DVD of the excact same movie (I switched back and forth) which was very good to excellent.

RR6

02audionoob
12-06-2008, 03:55 PM
It's not what I'd call "night and day", either. If you have HD television channels, just look at the difference between an HD channel and an ordinary DVD. The picture on our HD channels looks better than DVD.

Mr Peabody
12-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Night & day is pretty dramatic, I wouldn't even call VHS vs DVD night & day, and that's a pretty significant upgrade. My Tosh is 1080i and I can definitely see a difference when watching Blu-ray. The sound upgrade with the HD formats is approaching night & day. My wife can tell, and it has to be a big difference for her to notice, it's because she just don't care.

I had Transformers on DVD because it didn't come out on BR initially. I recently picked up the BR disc. I really wondered how much difference there would be because the DVD looked great. I was quite surprised at how much better the BR version looked. Actually I haven't seen any rating on that movie but it should be 5 stars, the picture and sound are both spectacular.

If you are receiving a HD feed from cable or satelite now just imagine a picture some what better than that.

pixelthis
12-07-2008, 09:10 PM
you ARE LOOKING UP THE WRONG TREE.
When I got my Blu player I had 720p, and yes it was worth it.
The sound alone was worth it.
You want "decidin " reasons , here ya go.
1} Iffen you get a BLU PLAYER you can start collecting Blu discs
(and eventually you will get one)
2} BLU players are geting cheap, but might go back up after the holodayze.
3} When you do finally upgrade to 1080p(and you will, trust me) you will be ready to go with a nice blu player and a collection of discs.
BASICALLY ANY IMPROVEMENT now will be a bonus, and there will be improvement,
trust me on this.
As for the transformers movie, screw that, have you seen Charlize Theron in HANCOCK?
An exelent reason to get Blu all by itself.:1:

Woochifer
12-07-2008, 11:26 PM
If you think Blu-ray is a waste on a 1080i HDTV, then you'd have to think HD is a waste period. Huge difference between upscaled DVD and the true HD resolution of a Blu-ray, no matter if your TV has 1080p or 768p/1080i resolution.

scottmtb88@yahoo.com
12-08-2008, 02:08 AM
easiest thing to do is go buy one and see if you like it, most places have extended return policies during the holidays, i know best buy is through jan 24th so thats a lot of time to see if its worth your investment.

i don't suggest the sony blu-ray unless you are going with a PS3, the load times are longer than the panasonic or samsung players and they have issues with the tray taking forever to open and close, as do all sony dvd players. plus they tend to cost more just because they are sony

Woochifer
12-08-2008, 10:29 AM
I had Transformers on DVD because it didn't come out on BR initially. I recently picked up the BR disc. I really wondered how much difference there would be because the DVD looked great. I was quite surprised at how much better the BR version looked. Actually I haven't seen any rating on that movie but it should be 5 stars, the picture and sound are both spectacular.

Saw a demo of the Transformers BD over the weekend on a Pioneer Elite Blu-ray player and Elite plasma TV. Just as you describe it -- spectacular picture quality. Definitely a huge improvement over the DVD version ( as well as the demo reels running on the other HDTVs). With that setup, there's just no denying how great HD looks on Blu-ray.

EdwardGein
12-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm one of these people who unless something is fantastic or a music DVD rarely buy DVDs but if the Audio Difference is that much better then I'll be getting the Panasonic BD55. I plan to put it in my bedroom where I have a 34" HDTV. Is it wasted on that as I have a 48"HDTV in the living room but prefer to watch most of my DVDs in the living room. Picture wise, I honestly can't see how my picture can get much better than my Harmon Kardon 31 DVD player which apparently upscales the picture.

Just to confirm one last time, with 7.1 analog outputs I will get as good sound as HDMI for true audio with the possible exception of bass management as my 7.1 receiver which I love doesn't have HDMI. Correct? Thanks again for the info. And yes, I see a night and day difference between HDTV and regular TV!

Mr Peabody
12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
If the dmp-55 has the on board decoding for Tru-HD and DTS-MA you are in there with 7.1 analog, it will do the trick

Haven't seen Hancock yet but I have Aeon Flux on BR..

pixelthis
12-09-2008, 12:54 AM
If the dmp-55 has the on board decoding for Tru-HD and DTS-MA you are in there with 7.1 analog, it will do the trick

Haven't seen Hancock yet but I have Aeon Flux on BR..

You are in for a treat old man.
As for the sound, Blu has two channel sound at 96khz for a lot of music concerts,
if you have a DA converter that will handle that (I do).
Seems like an old audio dog such as yourself would be extremely interested in that:1:

Rob1956
12-10-2008, 01:42 PM
EdGein:
I have a 5 year old Hitachi rear-projection set (57xwx20B), and I couldn't be happier with the addition of BD to my system. It's a great leap over DVD. I sit about 2 feet closer than recommended for a 57 inch screen, and I cannot see any scanning lines at all. I touch up the various controls every couple of months using Digital Video Essentials to keep it up to snuff. Very happy...

musicman1999
12-10-2008, 05:37 PM
Hi ed

long time, i have a 1080i tv as well and bluray is worth it for sure, picture is great. i use a ps3 right now but am getting a panasonic 55 next week because my prepro does not have hdmi. oh, i also second the hancock, she looks great.

bill