Two fun movies about music.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Two fun movies about music..

Worf101
03-14-2004, 08:21 AM
I recently rented a couple of movies that I thought were fantastic for the money and what they said about art, particularly making music...

"Camp" is a movie made on lunch money about a summer camp for the arts in upstate NY. Based on a real place it's where folks send their childeren who aspire to life on the stage... The film focuses on the dreams and aspirations of a group of kids. If you're thinking this is Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland typ e stuff from the 30's... unh are you wrong. First of all the music is phenomenal... second of all the back stories revolve around homosexuality, alcoholism... the way Broadway eat's it's young and all manner of dark stuff. A very uneven film when the kids are not dancing and singing but when they do WOW. The opening sequence is one of the most amazing musical numbers I've ever seen or heard... and not a "Star" in the film except a cameo by Stephen Sondheim.... rent it if you love music and dance.

"School of Rock" Was an absolute hoot. Jack Black is obviously channelling Candy, Farley, Belushi and a bunch of other "late fat comedians" but with a flair all his own. God I've known so many musical loser's like this guy... but what he trys to give those kids is so real... A great cast of newcomers as well and, according to the bonus material" they all play their own instruments... Put your mind on hold and enjoy it...

Da Worfster :D

Sealed
03-14-2004, 12:14 PM
LET'S MELT SOME FACES!!!!! :D

dph1965
03-14-2004, 05:06 PM
A Mighty Wind is another one - that ensemble that Christopher Guest has been using is great.....

Worf101
03-15-2004, 02:17 PM
LET'S MELT SOME FACES!!!!! :D

How'd you get suspended... too much bad language?

Da Worfster :confused:

Woochifer
03-15-2004, 02:43 PM
Oh great, even MORE movies to add to my list! :)

Sounds intriguing, although either one of them would have a huge step to climb to knock my all-time favorite music-themed movie off it's perch -- This Is Spinal Tap.

03-15-2004, 04:57 PM
MOST ANNOYING MOVIE ABOUT MUSIC

"That thing you do"

They played the same song over SO many times that it was driving me crazy. And the lead singer in the group was sorta annoying too.

dph1965
03-15-2004, 06:32 PM
Guest and company once again (or should I say the first time)

vivisimonvi
03-16-2004, 01:55 AM
This title struck me immediately when I viewed the topic alone... Highly out of my taste in music but the movie and score is fantastic (and very funny)! I'm going to watch it right now as a matter of fact :)

I'll always remember his laugh...

RGA
03-16-2004, 10:45 PM
High Fidelity was another good one. It launched Jack Black. He's as big a music snob as it gets. I like him :)

vivisimonvi
03-17-2004, 01:00 AM
High Fidelity was another good one. It launched Jack Black. He's as big a music snob as it gets. I like him :)

I was laughing so hard at certain parts of that movie *MOVIE SPOILER*

Cussack and his friends imagining beating the crap out of Tim Robbins in the record store (pulling the TV with the cord coming out of the wall socket, I went hysterical)... was it a TV? I rewound that scene more times than I can count, it's still as funny the first time around, lol.

"CHARLIE, YOU F***** B*TCH.... LET'S WORK IT OUT!!!!"