Good vs. Well [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good vs. Well

JSE
12-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Allow me a moment to vent..............................

The next fricken time someone corrects me for saying I'm doing good after they ask me how I'm doing, I'm gonna break my size 12.5 off in their ARSE!!!!!! :incazzato: "Actually, it's I'm doing well." I DON"T F&^%ING CARE! I am so freaking sick and tired of the a-hole grammar snobs correcting me when I say "Good". I've had at least 3 or 4 people correct me over the last couple of weeks. I truly feel sorry for the next person who does it to me.

And BTW, "Good" is perfectly acceptable.

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/good-versus-well.aspx

So F#$@ Y^% Grammar Snobs!

Ok, sorry. I saw bright white light and then went a little blind there for a moment. :crazy:

All is better now. At least until someone is unfortunate enough to correct me.

JSE

I change there to their! You're still evil Sticks!

Auricauricle
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Umm...You know that's F#$@Y^& not F#$@Y^%, right...?

Hello?

Eep!

Rich-n-Texas
12-04-2008, 01:29 PM
Shutup Cartman!

JSE
12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Umm...You know that's F#$@Y^& not F#$@Y^%, right...?

Hello?

Eep!

Size freaking 12.5 Auri! Size 12.5! :nono:

bobsticks
12-04-2008, 01:34 PM
And BTW, "Good" is perfectly exceptable.

Actually, it's "acceptable" not "exceptable". I'm sure you'll correct this.

For what were you looking when you originally accessed quickanddirtytips.com ? Wouldn't have been my first Google choice when searching for resources regarding grammatical correctness.

Itch-ay itch-ay, scratch-ay scratch-ay

Auricauricle
12-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Oh, gawddonthurtme!!!!

(Oooo, yeah, Skirtman! Hurt me real bad! Gimme that 12.5 mm! Ooooh, Big Man!)

JSE
12-04-2008, 02:02 PM
Actually, it's "acceptable" not "exceptable". I'm sure you'll correct this.

For what were you looking when you originally accessed quickanddirtytips.com ? Wouldn't have been my first Google choice when searching for resources regarding grammatical correctness.

Itch-ay itch-ay, scratch-ay scratch-ay

BURN HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's up to his Dark Magic again! You'll notice my original post is "acceptable" , NOT "Exceptable". And no "edit" message in my post.

BURN HIM!!!!!!!

bobsticks
12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Don't know whatchya talkembout, Cartman...:ciappa:

JSE
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm seeing the white light again.............:mad5:

Auricauricle
12-04-2008, 02:15 PM
Made you look, dint he? Hee hee....I just love dischit....

Hey, Skirt Man! You hear the one about the three holes in the ground?
Well, well, well!

JSE
12-04-2008, 02:21 PM
Hey, Skirt Man! You hear the one about the three holes in the ground?
Well, well, well!

Nope, I just figured they were for you, Rich and Sticks! :cornut:

Auricauricle
12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Generous, aincha, Skirt Boy?

(Dammit, boys! Scoot over! I kin barely git mah Gila Monster in thar!)

audio amateur
12-04-2008, 02:26 PM
Haha that's funny my dad hates it when Americans (excuse me if this is wrong but I mostly hear it in the US) use 'good'. I correct people every once in while but it doesn't bother me too much:ciappa:
Anyway, how you doing JSE?:smilewinkgrin:

bobsticks
12-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I'm seeing the white light again.............:mad5:

Hey speaking of the white light, shouldn't there have been a comma between "bright" and "white" in the original post?

You can put that grammar policing in your hole in the ground...

GMichael
12-04-2008, 02:40 PM
You can put that grammar policing in your hole

WTF!?

JSE
12-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Hey speaking of the white light, shouldn't there have been a comma between "bright" and "white" in the original post?

You can put that grammar policing in your hole in the ground...

.................:mad2:

Auricauricle
12-04-2008, 04:02 PM
"And no "edit" message in my post."

That's a fragment, son. Five points off! :dita:

(Dern, Sticky....You done made Loco Boy go nonverbal on us!)

JohnMichael
12-04-2008, 04:19 PM
One of my favorites is done and finished. Remember cakes are done and people are finished. The cake is done. I finished the report.

kexodusc
12-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I'm wit'ya JSE...

I get reamed for saying "A to Z" (pronounced zee) instead of "A to Zed" and other such irrelevancies all the time...substance over style is my thing.

Next time someone corrects you, punch'em in the junk. Then ask them how "well" they feel.

Auricauricle
12-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Zed's dead, baby!

ForeverAutumn
12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Zed's dead, baby!

I once went into a CD store in Vegas and asked the clerk there if they had anything by the band IZZ. Of course he'd never heard of them and had to look them up on the computer. He asked, "Is, like eye ess?". And I said, "no, eye zed zed". He stopped, stared at me with his mouth open like I was from outer space and said, "eye WHAT, WHAT?".

LOL. I told him to forget it and walked away.

The next fricken time someone corrects me for saying I'm doing good after they ask me how I'm doing, I'm gonna break my size 12.5 off in there ARSE!!!!!!

So I guess that you don't want to hear that it should be "their" ARSE. Huh?

OUCH! Oh my, those really are 12.5 aren't they? Ew. That didn't feel so good. :nonod:

Feanor
12-04-2008, 06:45 PM

The next fricken time someone corrects me for saying I'm doing good after they ask me how I'm doing, I'm gonna break my size 12.5 off in there ARSE!!!!!! :incazzato: "Actually, it's I'm doing well." I DON"T F&^%ING CARE! I am so freaking sick and tired of the a-hole grammar snobs correcting me when I say "Good". I've had at least 3 or 4 people correct me over the last couple of weeks. I truly feel sorry for the next person who does it to me.

Ok, sorry. I saw bright white light and then went a little blind there for a moment. :crazy:

JSE

That little article is a feeble and ultimately invalid attempt to rationalize incorrect, though recently popular, English usage. But what would someone from Bush country know about English usage?

If one's health is good, then one is well. If one is good, one does what one's mommy tells one to do.

02audionoob
12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
If what you say is what you mean and it's understood by the person to whom you are speaking, I'd say it's close enough.

JSE
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Anyway, how you doing JSE?:smilewinkgrin:

I'm F^%$@^G GOOD! :D

JSE
12-04-2008, 07:11 PM
So I guess that you don't want to hear that it should be "their" ARSE. Huh?

OUCH! Oh my, those really are 12.5 aren't they? Ew. That didn't feel so good. :nonod:

Hmpf! I changed it. Happy? I cleary was writing with emotion and not grammar in mind. :dita:

That little article is a feeble and ultimately invalid attempt to rationalize incorrect, though recently popular, English usage. But what would someone from Bush country know about English usage?

If one's health is good, then one is well. If one is good, one does what one's mommy tells one to do.

My point has been made. :D

If what you say is what you mean and it's understood by the person to whom you are speaking, I'd say it's close enough.

No size 12.5 for you! :thumbsup:

I'm wit'ya JSE...

I get reamed for saying "A to Z" (pronounced zee) instead of "A to Zed" and other such irrelevancies all the time...substance over style is my thing.

Next time someone corrects you, punch'em in the junk. Then ask them how "well" they feel.

I knew Kex would have my back.

Someone nailed me with a Reddie! Freaking funny but my wrath will be severe!

audio amateur
12-05-2008, 04:17 AM

Yep, definitely in your camp on that one;)
(appart from the Bush thing of course:D, don't want to make any enemies!)

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 04:59 AM
Think I'll go hang out in my New Beer thread. Too much anger and aggression in this one. :eek:

noddin0ff
12-05-2008, 05:36 AM
Wow, a whole page of sparring and still on topic. Good done, all. Good done.

Auricauricle
12-05-2008, 06:17 AM
"Your still evil Sticks!"

Er....that's you're, ya know....

(Ducking)

JSE
12-05-2008, 06:50 AM
Er....that's you're, ya know....

(Ducking)

Oiy! I need to stop typing while enjoying a brew. :crazy:

....................Nicely said.

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 07:02 AM
Well, this thread is kinda like a Sienfeld episode: a comedy about nothing. :smilewinkgrin:

Auricauricle
12-05-2008, 10:00 AM
Thanks....Neumann!

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello... Jerry!

Worf101
12-05-2008, 11:10 AM
"Honey I need your help with sumpthin."
(Worf to his puddin pie who works at CDPC "Capital District Psychiactric Center aka "the looney bin", "Funny Farm", "Snake Pit", "Laughing Academy" etc...)

"Honey Pie, I want you to read something?"
(she shuffles in adjusts her glasses and peers at screen)

"Whaddya think puddin? Candidate for your line of work?"

"Well he does seem to have an anger management problem... All of this from a few grammar corrections?"

"Yepper."

"What does he look like."
(Worf points at avatar)

"That's a hero of his?"

'Yeah Cartman."

"Does this guy actually wear pants?"

"I dunno, but I sincerely hope so."

"Hmmm I'll consulte with my colleagues tomorrow and see if we can get him some help."

"Thanks durlin' you're the greatest!"

Hold on grass skirt, help is on da way.

Da Worfster

RoadRunner6
12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Haha that's funny my dad hates it when Americans (excuse me if this is wrong but I mostly hear it in the US) use 'good'.

When a guy or ugly woman asks me how I am I say well. When a foxy lady asks me how I am I say good.

RR6 :D

ForeverAutumn
12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
How are you RR6?

(answer very carefully ;))

RoadRunner6
12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Good FA, very, very good! I do cute Canucks too! Want to meet up in Moose Jaw sometime? :devil:

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Good FA, very, very good! I do cute Canucks too! Want to meet up in Moose Jaw sometime? :devil:
Ummm... she's married leg-humper.

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA :yikes:

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 11:59 AM
(Worf to his puddin pie who works at CDPC "Capital District Psychiactric Center aka "the looney bin", "Funny Farm", "Snake Pit", "Laughing Academy" etc...)

"Well he does seem to have an anger management problem... All of this from a few grammar corrections?"

"Yepper."

(Worf points at avatar)

"That's a hero of his?"

'Yeah Cartman."

"Hmmm I'll consulte with my colleagues tomorrow and see if we can get him some help."

Da Worfster
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please don't take him away until after he's sent me the beer okay?

RoadRunner6
12-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Yeah Rich, If I told my wife I was going up to Moose Jaw for an audio convention, the first thing she would say in almost perfect Engrish is " where the f**k is Moose Jaw? (she learned that kind of talk from her American husband).

I was riding up the chair one cold and clear morning at Mount Spokane. Voices really carried in the thin air. There were lots of Canadians there that day. About five chairs up was a visiting Canadian skiier and Sally, the foxiest ski instructor on the mountain. Everyone was carrying on the normal conversations like "isn't it a great day for skiing" and "where are you from?". Suddenly, as I just looked up the mouintain, she turned to him and in a very loud voice that everyone up and down the chairs could hear she said, "Where the f**k is Moose Jaw"? Everyone was howling. Of course, Moose Jaw is in Sachatchewan, but if you have never heard the name of the city it sounds rather humorous at first (like maybe where Sarah Palin was born)

RR6.

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 12:25 PM
Thanks for that RR6.

I didn't mean any offense when I said leg-humper, I was just giving FA an example of what one might say to a girl on a largely male dominated discussion board.

(She thinks I'm a pervert don't ya know?)

JSE
12-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Yeah Rich, If I told my wife I was going up to Moose Jaw for an audio convention, the first thing she would say in almost perfect Engrish is " where the f**k is Moose Jaw? (she learned that kind of talk from her American husband).

I was riding up the chair one cold and clear morning at Mount Spokane. Voices really carried in the thin air. There were lots of Canadians there that day. About five chairs up was a visiting Canadian skiier and Sally, the foxiest ski instructor on the mountain. Everyone was carrying on the normal conversations like "isn't it a great day for skiing" and "where are you from?". Suddenly, as I just looked up the mouintain, she turned to him and in a very loud voice that everyone up and down the chairs could hear she said, "Where the f**k is Moose Jaw? Everyone was howling. Of course, Moose Jaw is in Sachatchewan, but if you have never heard the name of the city it sounds rather humorous at first (like maybe where Sarah Palin was born)

RR6.

Well, my wife's from Bad Axe.

JSE
12-05-2008, 12:34 PM

"Yepper."

(Worf points at avatar)

"That's a hero of his?"

'Yeah Cartman."

Da Worfster

Make it fast buddy! :mad5: :crazy: :out:

Please don't take him away until after he's sent me the beer okay?

No worries! Already sent. :thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 12:40 PM
No worries! Already sent. :thumbsup:
I know. I wonder, do you insure the package when you send it? What value? What happens if one bottle breaks, the package handler smells it, opens the box and drinks the unbroken one? That would suck, really.

ForeverAutumn
12-05-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for that RR6.

I didn't mean any offense when I said leg-humper, I was just giving FA an example of what one might say to a girl on a largely male dominated discussion board.

Yes, thank you Rich, because I don't get enough examples of that on a daily basis. :lol:

And it's not true. I don't think that you're a pervert. I just think that you could benefit from some friendly female company to calm you down. ;)

JSE
12-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I know. I wonder, do you insure the package when you send it? What value? What happens if one bottle breaks, the package handler smells it, opens the box and drinks the unbroken one? That would suck, really.

I used lots of Bubble Wrap!

trollgirl
12-05-2008, 01:03 PM
One of my favorites is done and finished. Remember cakes are done and people are finished. The cake is done. I finished the report.

You are so done.

BTW, I recently became aware that the Brits are careful to distinguish between "naught" and "zero," but Americans (typically) just say "oh" for either. Bad Americans - "nothing" for us.

Laz

Rich-n-Texas
12-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Yes, thank you Rich, because I don't get enough examples of that on a daily basis. :lol:

And it's not true. I don't think that you're a pervert. I just think that you could benefit from some friendly female company to calm you down. ;)
Yeah. She says that then she teases me with a kissy wink. :cryin:

Happy 5K FA. I consider this group very lucky to have a girl (gal, lady, female, woman, babe, hottie, dame, broad) like you here for the evenhanded style with which you deal with the male personalities that live here.

(Me... I like to fantasize about you and me...together.........)

RoadRunner6
12-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Thanks for that RR6.

I know all about leg humping Rich. My brother-in-law in Japan has a long-haired Dachsund named Musashi that humps my leg all the time. He refuses to get the dog fixed, thinks it will lower his manhood (or is it doghood) somehow, typical Japanese chauvanistic attitude. I looked at my leg one time and it is not even that sexy!

I know FA is not offended as she must get my very dry humor by now. Anyway her "how are you RR6" come back was very cute. I like Canadians you know, my grandmother was a Whitefish Montanan Irish Woman via Canada. They are great people in spite of their funny accent and lousy hockey teams!

RR6

ForeverAutumn
12-05-2008, 01:46 PM
How could I ever get upset with someone who quotes Jabberwocky?! Once upon a time I knew the whole poem by heart. Besides, I love your dry humour. Why, I'd almost think that you were a member of the Commonwealth with humour like that. Canadians and Brits seem to enjoy that dry humour.

And Rich, thanks for the 5K good wishes and kind words. I never even noticed the 5000. And I'd better hope that my boss never notices either. I've been spending too much work time on this site lately I'm afraid. I should probably scale back...but you guys are just way more fun than my job!

On that note, it's time to pack it in and go home for the weekend!

RoadRunner6
12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
FA, my other half is British (on my father's side), Welsh to be exact. I gave the eulogy at my father's funeral and had them rolling in the aisles (of the church that is, not the British Isles!), just exactly as he would have wanted. I know he was laughing the hardest.

If I hadn't got my PhD in Extraterrestrial Psychosomatic Physics I most likely would have tried out for a position (well, that opens it up, or should it be...good, that opens it up?) with Monty Python (I fart in your general direction) or the Beatles. I can drum quite jolly good with my chopsticks then, old chap.

RR6 (no smilely face, stiff upper lip)

Auricauricle
12-05-2008, 03:05 PM
PhD in Extraterrestrial Psychosomatic Physics.....! Braggart!
"What're you studyin'?"
"Nothin.'"

Pssst....Hey...You wanna whitefish?

RoadRunner6
12-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Aren't you supposed to be checking on that daffy broad down in 307? (Woops, can we still use the word broad?)

Auricauricle
12-05-2008, 03:43 PM
"Broad" is semi acceptable....I don't care fer "wacko".

I just picked up on "whitefish" and couldn't resist the temptation....thinkin' 'bout the gill o' my dreams and all.

RoadRunner6
12-05-2008, 10:23 PM
"Broad" is semi acceptable....I don't care fer "wacko".

I just picked up on "whitefish" and couldn't resist the temptation....thinkin' 'bout the gill o' my dreams and all.

Sorry Aa, I went back and modified my post.

bobsticks
12-06-2008, 12:23 AM

The next fricken time someone corrects me for saying I'm doing good after they ask me how I'm doing, I'm gonna break my size 12.5 off in their ARSE!!!!!! :incazzato: "Actually, it's I'm doing well." I DON"T F&^%ING CARE! I am so freaking sick and tired of the a-hole grammar snobs correcting me when I say "Good". I've had at least 3 or 4 people correct me over the last couple of weeks. I truly feel sorry for the next person who does it to me.

JSE

I change there to their! You're still evil Sticks!

Wouldn't one want quotation marks around the original "I'm doing good" and the subsequent "there" and "their"?

---sticks (still evil and still poking sleeping dogs)

[Btw, JoSE, a cursory glance at virtually any of my posts will reveal that I'm far and away the worst typist around these parts. So, feel free to flail away at any of my glass house windmills, Don Quixote de la Moncha...I'm just playin witchya.]

Auricauricle
12-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Jus' helpin' the troops t' right wright!

Awl reight?

ForeverAutumn
02-09-2009, 11:12 AM
I ran into our company President at the coffee machine this morning. He asked me how I was and I answered "I'm good. How are you?" He responded, "I'm well. Well is the correct way to respond, not good".

I acknowledged that he was correct. After all...he's the boss so I'm not going to tell him to go and stuff himself. Besides, he said it with an evil smirk his face so I knew that he was just saying that because he knew that it would bug me.

The whole exchange made me think of you JSE. :)

Ajani
02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
Actually my favorite response to the question: "How are you?"

is:

"I is good"...

That tends to stop people in their tracks... and I never get corrected for saying it...

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Jus' helpin' the troops t' right wright!

Awl reight?
Oooooooooooooooooooooootaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy !

(I know I'm late with this, but I was stalking FA and here's where I ended up)

Now where is my other vic...err... friend? :ihih:

GMichael
02-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Rich. You need to try that PS3 Home page.

JSE
02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
I ran into our company President at the coffee machine this morning. He asked me how I was and I answered "I'm good. How are you?" He responded, "I'm well. Well is the correct way to respond, not good".

I acknowledged that he was correct. After all...he's the boss so I'm not going to tell him to go and stuff himself. Besides, he said it with an evil smirk his face so I knew that he was just saying that because he knew that it would bug me.

The whole exchange made me think of you JSE. :)

Dooooh! That would have pissed me off real well! I'm already is crap mood today and that might have sent me over the edge.

Thanks for the post, it's actually makes me feel better today! :D

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Rich. You need to try that PS3 Home page.
Been there GM. I met up with L.J. one day about a month ago. I've been spending a lot of time with my audio equipment (BFD should arrive on Wednesday), so I've been a PS3 absentee of late.

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Dooooh! That would have pissed me off real well! I'm already is crap mood today and that might have sent me over the edge.

Thanks for the post, it's actually makes me feel better today! :D
:Yawn: :Yawn: :sleep:

Auricauricle
02-09-2009, 12:12 PM
FA: What a maroon you have fer a boss...."Well is the correct way to respond; not good." Well, garsh, sign 'im up on the grammar department on the local university....Ripostes like that made me come up with "mediocre", "supercilious" or "banal" as answers. Whip out a good, obscure adjective and see if the moron winces. What a poltroon....

ForeverAutumn
02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
FA: What a maroon you have fer a boss...."Well is the correct way to respond; not good." Well, garsh, sign 'im up on the grammar department on the local university....Ripostes like that made me come up with "mediocre", "supercilious" or "banal" as answers. Whip out a good, obscure adjective and see if the moron winces. What a poltroon....

Aa, normally I would agree with you. But he's actually a really great guy. He knows that I pride myself on my proper grammer and spelling so I suspect that he said it more as a jab/joke at me...hence the aforementioned evil grin.

Auricauricle
02-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I know....I just 'ad to blow and vent....Mebbe I should take up bowlin' like my friend, here....

JSE
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
:Yawn: :Yawn: :sleep:

SERENITY NOW!.......SERENITY NOW!.......:mad:

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I know....I just 'ad to blow and vent....Mebbe I should take up bowlin' like my friend, here....

The Dude! It's... The Dude!

(Shut the fvck up Donny)

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
SERENITY NOW!.......SERENITY NOW!.......:mad:
I dunno WHAT the hell that means! :loco:

Auricauricle
02-09-2009, 12:31 PM
You got the ringer?

JSE
02-09-2009, 12:36 PM
I dunno WHAT the hell that means! :loco:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Serenity_Now

Rich-n-Texas
02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Gotcha. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Auricauricle
02-09-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5513mXmQbw4

bfalls
02-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Do a little recycling, a little conservation and reduce your carbon footprint. Next time they correct you and say you're doing "well", correct them and say "No, I'm doing good, I've significantly reduce my carbon footprint. How are you?" That should shut them up. Or you could become a "Big Brother" do voluntary work etc.

GMichael
02-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Do a little recycling, a little conservation and reduce your carbon footprint. Next time they correct you and say you're doing "well", correct them and say "No, I'm doing good, I've significantly reduce my carbon footprint. How are you?" That should shut them up. Or you could become a "Big Brother" do voluntary work etc.
I LIKE it!

ForeverAutumn
02-10-2009, 08:59 AM
It doesn't really answer the question "how are you?", as much as it would be a good response to "what are you doing?"

GMichael
02-10-2009, 09:03 AM
Details, details...

Auricauricle
02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Instead of well, mebbe you oughtta go with, "Deep....Really deep. How're you?" Has a way of leavin' folks perplexed, y'know?

bobsticks
02-12-2009, 07:32 PM
Instead of well, mebbe you oughtta go with, "Deep....Really deep. How're you?" Has a way of leavin' folks perplexed, y'know?

Unless you're digging a ditch or in a bath house...