Hi-Fi gurus- help me pick one! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Fi gurus- help me pick one!

psyopwak
12-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I am interested in the following two integrated amplifiers:

NAD C372 Integrated Amplifier
Bel Canto e.One S300i integrated amplifier

Any thoughts on these two units? Budget is $1000 to $2000. Here is some info about what I am interested in-

1 Enough power for a medium size room- with no amp strain
2 LOW NOISE unit
3 Good tonal balance and a can produce low, mid and high frequencies without bloom, harshness and with smooth midrange.
4 Neutral in presentation of the music (not warm or otherwise adding it’s own sonic signature)
5 Wide soundstage
6 Dynamics, microdynamics and quick transient response
7 Great detail
8 Musical

I will be using a Benchmark DAC with an optical switch between a Rega Apollo as a transport or
Itunes library played through a Slimdevices Squeezebox. Speakers will be 4ohm floorstanders or 6ohm bookshelf of average sensitivity.

I can also use my Benchmark as a preamp, if anyone has any OTHER suggestions for an integrated OR stand alone power amplifier.

blackraven
12-04-2008, 01:02 PM
Use your Benchmark as a preamp and consider these power amps-

Parasound Halo A23 and the A21 which sells for $2.2K but check www.audioadvisor.com for demo or return deals on the A21. I paid $1800 for mine. The A21 is a very dynamic, detailed amp with great sound stage, transparency and neutral sounding. 250wpc at 8ohms and 400wpc at 4ohms with peaks of 750wpc. They also use XLR's which will work with your Benchmark to lower the noise.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA23#
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA21

B&K reference 200.2 A very powerful amp for around $1200.

Emotiva XPA-2 www.emotiva.com A lot of bang for the buck

Van Alstine Insight power amps www.avahifi.com These have a huge sound stage and transparency and are neutral sounding. These are excellent amps. I auditioned them at Frank VA's home.
Theyare well worth the money and the high current models can drive a 1ohm load.