vandersteen info [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : vandersteen info

2chAlex
12-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey All

It's been sometime. Anyway, I've have come upon some Vandersteen 1a's that are in excellant shape being sold cuz of the WAF. Despite doing a search, including Vandersteen site. No real info other than likely they have some years seeing that 1c's are current. As with most of us do I really need more stuff. Yet the price would let me try out Vandersteen. I've listened to the 1c's and they are the list (the never ending list) of future items when the bug bites. Good to be back and thanks

Jimmy C
12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
...a weakness or curiosity for used speakers.

Sorry for the deletion... I accidently submitted before I was done... Murphy's Law - I hit the ONE button I shouldn't have before I was finished!

It's been years since I gave a listen to the 1C, but a couple of things stood out...

1) Non-fatiguing, probably quite listenable all day long. When I demoed the 2CEs, I was suprised to find out they used metal tweeters. IIRC, the 1Cs employ them as well. Many times you can figure out what material is being used, but these fooled me for sure.

2) A fairly prominent upper-bass bump. Maybe it's to give the illusion of more bass than they're actually capable of, but I found it somewhat distracting.

Not sure what to tell you/what you're asking for, but I feel they are a decent speaker, especially if the price is right. Not happy with your current speakers? I'm not familiar with them.

There is a lot of controversy surrounding Vandies... I'm not sure why. I first heard the 2Cs probably back in '90ish... I thought they were great. Lightyears ahead of the Klipsch I was using!

2chAlex
12-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm quite satisfied with my cuurent speakers. Just that curosity as mentioned. I was just wondering about how old, the begging of the 1 line that type of thing. $100 was the price and there lies that hmmmm. Thanks for the reply

Kevio
12-06-2008, 11:41 PM
It looks like the model 1 lineage is 1, 1b, 1c. I have a pair of 1's. It is a simple 2-way design. I'm impressed with the bass response but I do a lot of listening on nearfield monitors and headphones so I'm probably easily impressed. The treble and mid-range are very easy to listen to. It's a speaker that has the potential to make things sound better than they actually are.

I bought mine used for a price I don't remember other than I remember being happy about the price. I'd certainly be happy to pay $100 for a pair.