What I have been using [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What I have been using

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I have been using these speakers and amp for a while and they sound good. I have a pair of JBL Balcony speakers and a Insignia NS-R5101 Home Theater Receiver. The receiver goes upto 500 watts and the speakers goes upto 100 watts and 200 watts peak power. I got a very good deal on the speakers and the receiver. I got the receiver for $100 and normaly they cost close to $200 and the speakers I got them for $56 and normaly they cost $180. I got them both at Best Buy.

Ajani
12-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Congratulations... for $156, I doubt you could have done much better...

GMichael
12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Hey. I have a pair of the JBL E10's as well as a couple pair of the E20's. All use the same drivers as the new Venue series you have. They sound surprisingly well for the cost. Congrats Spanky. Enjoy them.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 01:53 PM
I did look up the E10 and I see that they look really alike only difference is that mine can go low as 65hz and the E10 goes only down to 75hz. Also I see that the bass ports are on the front on the E10 and mine is on top. Other than that they look like the same speakers.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Can you use speakers like the Balcony as mains for stereo listening? Or are they only suppose to be used as surround sound speakers? I know that if I had a sub it would have better low end but I was wondering if you can use them without a sub and listen them as mains like how I' am using them now.

GMichael
12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I did look up the E10 and I see that they look really alike only difference is that mine can go low as 65hz and the E10 goes only down to 75hz. Also I see that the bass ports are on the front on the E10 and mine is on top. Other than that they look like the same speakers.

Yes, it is the porting that makes the difference. The E20's have them in the rear and go lower than the E10's as well.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 02:12 PM
One thing I' am upset about is that JBL doesn't make anyone affordable speakers like the Venue Series. :mad: They now added that ultra high drivers and makes them cost twice as much than the Venue Series did. I hope that JBL will soon start making the affordable series again and keep them.

GMichael
12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
They will come out with a new line. This is why you were able to get the Venues at such a low price. They list for much more than you paid. I got a great deal on my E20's ($40 a pair) because the Venues were coming out and they were making room for them on shelves. Before that they were selling for over $100 and listed at almost $300/pr.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Well the new line is called the ES series and thay are the replacement of the Venue Series and the ES Series costs twice as much. They just tried to make the speakers to go higher than 20kHz which I think is pointless since humans can only hear upto 20kHz and me I can barely hear 18kHz. I can forsure hear 17,500hz clearly.

Anyways how I know that the ES series is the replacement is since I called JBL and asked them.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I did just find out one other thing that the Venue Series didn't have is neodymium-magnet motor structure tweeters. The ES series has 3/4" titanium-laminate dome with neodymium-magnet motor structure. Well I think that the Venue Series doesn't have it but it might have neodymium magnets for the tweeters. I just don't see anywhere on the site where it tells that the Venus Series has neodymium tweeters.

GMichael
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I see the ES20's available for under $200 already. When the next line comes out, these will drop too. My E20's were going for about the same price when they first came out. So were the Venues.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 03:03 PM
Hmmm interesting the last time I saw them they were like twice as much. Maybe the prices are going down that's good. The last time I saw the prices was a year agao.

SpankingVanillaice
12-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Anyways do you guys think that I will need to upgrade to the ES10 just because it has that ultrahigh frequency driver? I never heard these speakers before but if someone has let me know what you think about them. I can't afford the ES10 now but maybe in few years or less I can get one but that's if it's really worth it. Of cource then I can just sell my Balcony when I do get the ES10. I just want to know the sound difference in the two speakers first.

Thank You

GMichael
12-02-2008, 06:06 AM
I haven't heard the ES models yet. My guess is that they would only be an incremental increase in quality, if any at all. You'd be better off hanging on to your Venues while you save for a bigger step up. Do you get a chance to go to any audio stores? Maybe you should listen to as many speakers as possible before you lay out anymore cash.

SpankingVanillaice
12-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I was wondering about this but which speaker is better? The Balcony that I have or the Monitor? I was wondering that if I should return the Balcony and get the Monitor instead since it's normal shaped. I just think the Balcony looks kinda weird since it's not shaped normal like most speakers.

SpankingVanillaice
12-03-2008, 01:05 PM
I think I probley should get the Monitor instead since it looks like a normal speaker so I probley will return the Balcony.

JSE
12-03-2008, 02:19 PM
The general theme of every SVI thread....

I got these speakers
Are these other speakers better?
Should I get the other speakers?
I think I'get the other speakers.
I got the other speakers.
Are these new other speakers better?
Should I get these new other speakers?
I think I'll get these new other speakers.
and on
and on
and on
and on................................................ ..............:crazy:

GMichael
12-04-2008, 06:21 AM
The general theme of every SVI thread....

I got these speakers
Are these other speakers better?
Should I get the other speakers?
I think I'get the other speakers.
I got the other speakers.
Are these new other speakers better?
Should I get these new other speakers?
I think I'll get these new other speakers.
and on
and on
and on
and on................................................ ..............:crazy:

It's good to have a hobby.

SpankingVanillaice
12-04-2008, 06:55 AM
It's good to have a hobby.That is correct my big hobby is into speakers. I have been into speakers since I was a little boy but back then I didn't know much about speakers. I also am into computers too since I can build, repair and install Windows. But me getting into computers was after the speakers since when I was little my parents didn't own any computers.

basite
12-04-2008, 07:18 AM
That is correct my big hobby is into speakers. I have been into speakers since I was a little boy but back then I didn't know much about speakers. I also am into computers too since I can build, repair and install Windows. But me getting into computers was after the speakers since when I was little my parents didn't own any computers.

THAT'S GREAT svi...

now, did you know you could actually learn about your hobby???

you made a big step forward by stepping of buying virtually the same pc speaker every week. now you just gotta learn that before you actually buy something, remember that you should listen to the speakers, or amps, or whatever, and then buy it, so you don't end up buying new speakers again every week.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Ajani
12-04-2008, 09:22 AM
That is correct my big hobby is into speakers. I have been into speakers since I was a little boy but back then I didn't know much about speakers. I also am into computers too since I can build, repair and install Windows. But me getting into computers was after the speakers since when I was little my parents didn't own any computers.

Here's a serious suggestion for you:

Since you really love changing speakers all the time, and just playing around with them in general... then why not try building your own? Given you obsession with minor spec details on speakers, you might really enjoy a never ending DIY speaker project...

Florian
12-05-2008, 05:24 AM
wow....... 156$ for two seakers? And you are upset about this price because it is not affordable?

In production that ting aint even worth 5 bucks.... let the poor sales person, transport logistics, goverment, quality control etc.. make a living too. Will ya?

Florian
12-05-2008, 05:27 AM

Update of 2008.

You still dont know anything about speakers.
You still dont know anything about computers.
You still are not into anything except beeing mentaly retarded. <-- No discriminartion, just a fact.

SpankingVanillaice
12-06-2008, 02:13 PM
Today I just got the JBL Monitor and they sound better I think since it has a bigger woofer. Plus they go upto 125 watts.

Florian
12-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Mentally ........ challanged! Like i said!

E-Stat
12-07-2008, 09:30 AM
THAT'S GREAT svi...
Thanks for the one of the few helpful observations.

OT, I had business in Binghamton, NY this week and was able to carve out an hour to tour the McIntosh facility. Very impressive. I left some more detailed comments over at AA.

rw

audio amateur
12-07-2008, 11:16 AM

OT, I had business in Binghamton, NY this week and was able to carve out an hour to tour the McIntosh facility. Very impressive. I left some more detailed comments over at AA.

rw
If I'm not mistaken he's had many helpful observations in the past, but as Florian has pointed out, he's obviously too retarded to take account of them.

E-Stat
12-07-2008, 11:28 AM
If I'm not mistaken he's had many helpful observations in the past, but ..
Is there really any need for adults to point out the obvious?

rw

audio amateur
12-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Is there really any need for adults to point out the obvious?

rw
So you admit it!:D Sure, it ain't the Christian thing to do but it sure is hard not to.

Ajani
12-07-2008, 01:08 PM
We all know what Spanky is... heck, Spanky has even admitted to some of his issues in prior threads... so there really is no need to state it....

Normally, when I get frustrated with a Spanky thread, I remind myself of his situation, take a deep breath and go read a different thread... There really is no point being nasty to him... he is what he is...

All we can do is give decent audio advice and hope that one day, he learns at least one thing we've tried to teach him...

basite
12-07-2008, 01:20 PM

rw

interesting :)

read comments & viewed photos from numerous people who did the facility tour, it does seem to be very impressive :)

do you have a link? I'm not really familiar with AA...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

RoadRunner6
12-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I was MC before I starting taking Focus Factor. Now everything is very, very qwueer to me.