It's Christmas Movie Time! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : It's Christmas Movie Time!

Auricauricle
12-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Call me sentimental, call me Ishmael, but it's time to warm up the chestnuts, spike up the nog and settle down for a good movie....Here's the intro to an old favorite: The Ref. Starring Dennis Leary as a theif, the movie is an ensemble piece that sets the tone for the season.

Because I am so generous and never intrusive, I have only included the intro....You can find the rest on Youtube.

Enjoy, Puppies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sPCJwluejU&feature=related

Rich-n-Texas
12-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Ummm...so... Ishmael... do we get to post our favorite Christmas movies?

Groundbeef
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty sure I don't want to sit and watch a movie with someone that has just finished warming up his chestnuts.

Auricauricle
12-01-2008, 11:39 AM
Better his than yers, I'd say, GB!* Meanwhile, post away, Tex, um, Ahab; they're called threads, y'know.

*Ummmmm, GB: (Oh, boy.) What're the Guinea pigs for? And do you need hospital-grade plugs or what?

JSE
12-02-2008, 11:38 AM
Christmas Vacation is still my favorite of all time. I can watch that movie any time of the year and still laugh my arse off.

Christmas Story and Elf are up there as well.

BTW Auricauricle, the Ref is also an outstanding Christmas movie that is often overlooked.

Rich-n-Texas
12-02-2008, 12:06 PM
"Christmas Vacation" is my favorite too. I caught some of it the other day and was laughing MAO during the squirrell and cat scenes. This one ranks right up there with "Airplane!" as my all time favorite comedies.

Tex, um, Ahab; they're called threads, y'know
Why yes, yes they are.

Auricauricle
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Heh. (Funny man!)....Just to spice things up, whattabout The Lion in Winter? Kinda like Ref: Another fine Christmas story about an upstanding and dysfunctional fambly. I ain't seen the "Vacation" one yet.

(Geez, I'm I givin' mahself away too much, here?

JSE
12-02-2008, 01:08 PM
. I ain't seen the "Vacation" one yet.

Holly Crap (get it?), get out there rent it! Now!

I'm not speaking to you until you see it. Report back. :incazzato:

Auricauricle
12-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Aye aye, sir!

Worf101
12-03-2008, 06:10 AM
1. "A Christmas Story" - "You'll put your eye out kid."

2. "It's a Wonderful Life" - "Merry Christmas to you too, in Jail!"

3. "Miracle on 34th Street" - "Do you want to be the judge who rules that there is no Santa Clause?"

Da Worfster

Auricauricle
12-03-2008, 07:13 AM
Oooh, I'm getting slow in my old age and decrepitude. Just got it, Skirt Man! Argh!

Now to get me hither to yon house of video rental for some Yuletide cheer and Holly Berry!

Kam
12-03-2008, 09:11 AM
christmas story and christmas vacation, i think, are the most repeatably watchable movies. kinda like jaws and shawshank. have seen them SO many times, can pick it up at any point and it's like you haven't missed a beat because the whole movie is engrained in the brain.

Sugar Beats
12-17-2008, 02:32 PM
Hands down, "It's a wonderful Life" is one of the most fabulous Christmas movies; "every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings" ...

I usually wait until Christmas Eve to watch it.

A Christmas Story kills me every time. The Bumpus' hounds eating the turkey and their introdution to Chinese turkey, which happens to be smiling at them. Frrraa, raa raa ra ra, ra ra ra raaa!
Enjoy!

I wanted a bee bee (sp?) gun for Christmas and my mom wouldn't let me have one, so I've been jealous of Ralphie my whole life!

RoadRunner6
12-17-2008, 05:22 PM
My wife and I and granddaughters all enjoyed Prancer. It's a very nice family Christmas movie.

http://www.moviefone.com/movie/prancer/2722/main?flv=1&icid=rbox_movie_titles.M

RGA
12-21-2008, 11:47 PM
It's interesting but I loathe Christmas Story. (1983)

My picks for Christmas Movies is Scrooge 1951 as the best of the lot of this story and of Christmas movies.

I also like Christmas Vacation a lot and better than Scrooged but both are humorous.

It's A Wonderful Life is also a good one.

Interestingly I also watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles at Christmas despite it being a Thanksgiving Movie - close enough similar message.

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2008, 06:47 AM
Hubby and I saw It's a Wonderful Life for the first time about three years ago. We both hated it. I'd take Pottersville over that boring old town anyday. :)

I tend to like the comedy's like Elf, Scrooged (The Night the Reindeer Died!), and Christmas Vacation. I like A Christmas Story but we've seen it so many times that I've gotten bored of it now.

I love watching the the old Christmas musicals like Holiday Inn and White Christmas.

And, of course, Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without The Nightmare Before Christmas!

Auricauricle
12-22-2008, 04:53 PM
You might wanna check FA on the Beebee gun, Suga!

On second thought, that was a Boobee gun....

RoadRunner6
12-22-2008, 05:51 PM
The Nightmare Before Christmas!

What a terrifc movie. I understand the Blu-Ray version is simply stunning!

I'm not sure whether to list this magnificent inspirational spiritual classic as a Christmas or an Easter movie.

Monty Python's Life of Brian

Mr Peabody
12-22-2008, 06:00 PM
A Christmas Story was really good for the first millionth time and now I'm in there with FA. Maybe in a few more years I will take it in again.

Oracle has been demoted to town crier, you can't be an oracle without at least knowing about Christmas Vacation. Actually the original Vacation is killer too but we are talking only about Christmas, and who needs "I'm a really good kisser...... my dad told me so...".

Any way one of my favorite comedies is Ernest Saves Christmas. i also like Scrooged but I think it's because I haven't seen it in a while and not burnt out on it. You guys need to see this Ernest movie.

My must see movies this time of year is:
A Christmas Carol. It may be the 1951 version, I know it's B&W.
Bells of St. Mary & Going My Way, big time favs
Little Women is good too. The original B&W version with young Liz Taylor.
I also like the B&W version of Miracle On 34th Street best.

Prancer was mentioned, i agree, very good movie.

If I could find it the original Waltons Christmas movie before it became a series is excellent. It featured a different mom than the series. John Boy takes the kids to some show where they hand out toys and the little girl gets a doll with a broken face that freaks her out. Dad's on a trip, snow is still coming down, will Dad make it home......

There's been some good ones.

I'm sorry, Elf must have gone over my head because to me that was one stupid movie. I know a lot of friends who love it though. And, this coming from the guy who watched Ernest :)

Sugar Beats
12-22-2008, 06:41 PM
How can anyone not like "It's a Wonderful Life!" It's like impossible not to like that movie! FA, what's up? George Bailey, HeHaw~ Clarence ears his wings? Nothing... Jeez, I just don't know what to say except, Ba Humbug!

ForeverAutumn
12-22-2008, 07:36 PM
How can anyone not like "It's a Wonderful Life!" It's like impossible not to like that movie! FA, what's up? George Bailey, HeHaw~ Clarence ears his wings? Nothing... Jeez, I just don't know what to say except, Ba Humbug!

I'm a cold, heartless *****. What can I say?

You know what that movie needed? Some talking animals.

:smilewinkgrin:

Groundbeef
12-23-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm with FA. I wish the whole town burnt down, and Jimmy Stewart had killed himself in the beginning. Save us all from hating children, bells, and bumbling angels.

My top fav's are Elf, and Christmas Vacation.

I HATED Bad Santa.

Auricauricle
12-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy.....!

We finally got our copy of The Dark Knight and are gonna watch it to night!!!

Oh YEAH!!!

(Yes, I am a 13 year old 45 year old! Whataboutit?)

Kam
12-23-2008, 07:57 PM
It's interesting but I loathe Christmas Story. (1983)

you must avoid tbs like the plague this time of year.
:D

RGA
12-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Kam

I'm currently teaching in China - I get one English channel and it's propaganda central. Though to be fair - when I taught in S.Korea we had the American forces propaganda channel and it was even more heavy handed righteousness bordering on the silly.

I recall Garfield's Christmas Special being quite a nice 1/2 hour too.

Mr Peabody
12-25-2008, 11:33 AM
What about Are We There Yet? I guess that technically is a Christmas movie. I think it's pretty good.

I got Fred Claus on Blu-ray I'll have to post back if it looks like a potential future classic.