Could use a bit of setup help... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Could use a bit of setup help...

JSteiner
03-14-2004, 05:04 AM
Alright, I've searched about 15-20 pages of post history here and have been unable to find my exact question answered. Given that, here goes...

Old system went dead (Infamous input loss problem on the DX575 and I had speaker problems) so I bought an HT-S760 to keep it simple. So I've got the HRT-510 receiver with the component inputs. I finally upgrade my TV so I've got component inputs there too.

Problem is my VCR is ancient and has only composite and my cable box has s-video.

What is the optimal way to hook this up? I wanted to use component switching on the receiver but since only the DVD is component, I gather that won't work. I'm assuming my only option is directly to the TV.

Thus which is better....

Cable -> Cable Box -> VCR -> TV and then audio out from VCR -> Receiver

OR

Cable -> Cable Box -> TV (Via S-Video) & VCR to TV Via Composite or Coaxial? and then sounds from Cable Box and VCR to Receiver?

Or am I just way out there?

The Cable box has audio outs but not sure if it'd be better directly from there, from TV or from VCR, etc...

Some advice would be great. Thanks.

Edit: Was also just considering a new VCR. I assume new ones have component inputs? Or just S-Video? If I bought one...the budget would be $100 or less. Less being preferable.

Quagmire
03-14-2004, 08:07 AM
If you want to keep it simple, buy a VCR with S-Video output. Connect all three devices to your receiver via S-Video connections, then run S-Video monitor out from the receiver to the TV. I realize that making the connections this way means you won't be using the Component input on your TV, but unless your display is rather large or allows the use of a progressive scan DVD player, you won't notice too much difference between the quality the Component connection and the S-Video connection. This will be the easiest connection scheme as it will allow all video switching to be accomplished by the receiver.

I don't know the particulars of your receiver, but some receivers upconvert signals from Composite or S-Video to Component; so you may want to check just to make sure.

Even if you need to run the DVD player via Component cable, I would still upgrade the VCR to S-Video as it will make the rest of your video switching simpler and of a higher quality signal. Good luck to you... hope this is helpful.

Q

uncooked
03-14-2004, 10:38 AM
personally i wouldnt buy a new vcr becuase vcr's are WAY out dated and there picture qualtiy isnt very good. even if you use a s vid connection from the vcr it isnt going to be anywhere near a dvd players quality even with regular composite.

i would suggest to just run the cables right from the source into your tv. dvd player with component cable to vid 1 , 3 whatever one it is, its vid 3 with sony's i know. then if your tv has regular composite input for the same input as well, then run your vcr into that. and you can always stay on the same input. becuase when the dvd player is turned off it will get a signal from the other compostie cable and use that.

then just run all the audio cables into your receiver into the selected spots "dvd" "vcr" and when you want to listen to it just hit the source.

also radio shack and places like that sell composite to s video adapters, i use this on my vcr in order to match it up with all my other inputs. you should look into thoughs. if your receiver has s video to component then you can just use the adapter and do the component switching, all your sources could then be all the same.

markw
03-14-2004, 12:15 PM
I can't think of any VCR that offers component outputs. A few, very few, that offer S-VHS ofer s-cideo but that's about as good as it gets.

Most only offer composite video (yellow plug).

As far as converting composite to s-video, consider this as a convenience option. These will not improve the signal from composite quality to S-Video quality. Likewise, any "up conversion" on receivers does not improve the picture quality over it's native format.

uncooked
03-14-2004, 12:47 PM
i know the quality doesnt change but then atleast you can run it all through 1 component cable to his tv instead of a component and a s vid or composite, there like 4 bucks. you can find then in video card boxes for computers. i got 2 inside my g force 4 box, i use them on my vcr's.

markw
03-14-2004, 03:46 PM
i know the quality doesnt change but then atleast you can run it all through 1 component cable to his tv instead of a component and a s vid or composite, there like 4 bucks. you can find then in video card boxes for computers. i got 2 inside my g force 4 box, i use them on my vcr's.

That's what I would consider a "convenience option".

JSteiner
03-14-2004, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the insight folks. I looked into upgrading my VCR and the cheapest I found with S-Video were some JVC's. I decided to hold off on the VCR deal...

I wound up doing the following:

DVD to Component on TV...

Cable box directly to TV via S-Vid and Audio out to Receiver so I could bypass VCR for watching cable...

And then coax out on Cable to VCR and VCR to coax on TV if I wanted to watch tapes or tape stuff.

I think it's working fine...Not exactly what I was shooting for but it works. Might keep an eye out for an composite to to s-video converter if I can find one cheap.

uncooked
03-14-2004, 06:00 PM
this is an expensive one, that actually converts it

http://buy-monster-cable-speaker-wire.store.yahoo.com/moncabcsva1c.html

and if you scroll down to the bottom of the page on this link and look in the pic the middle cord is what i use. came with my vid card. ive seen them at radio shack very cheap.
http://tech-report.com/reviews/2002q3/ti4200s/index.x?pg=3

this one is more money then i have seen in the past,but its cheaper then a new vcr for sure.

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Product.aspx?language=en-CA&product=1501238&category=Hookup%2fPatch+Cables&catalog=RadioShack