Noise, Noise, NOISE!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noise, Noise, NOISE!!!

RJ Hanson
11-21-2003, 06:48 PM
This is my first experience with posting, so please be patient with me. I recently purchased an reconditioned NAD T752. It works fine for DVD movies, using a digital input. I'm having a problem playing music cd's. If I use the digital input, the first half second of a music track is muted while the unit analyses the source. Using an analogue input solves this problem. However, when listening to a cd in any of the Surround modes there is an audible buzz present at medium to high volumes, say above -15db. The store where I bought it was very understanding and replaced the unit at the first sign of trouble. Unfortunately, the replacement has the same problem. Furthermore, the store's demo apparently exhibits the same tendency.
I discussed this at a local high end audio shop and they opine that it may be a ground loop problem, but I'm stumped. Any thoughts?

BOGGIE917
02-17-2004, 01:43 AM
ground your cd player, or cheap rca cables to close the amp i have 5 seperate 30amp breakers for my four carver M1.ot amps bridged at 1000 watts rms and one sunfire true sub Mk-2 2700 watts rms. i gad all kinds of noise untill i did all this

skeptic
02-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Whatever else you've done, you've created several serious electrical code violations. First of all, you are not permitted to protect a 5-15R or 5-20R receptacle with a 30 amp breaker. Only a 15 or 20 amp breaker is permitted. Unless you changed the wire to #10 or it was #10 before, the circuit breaker is too large to protect wire normally used for 15 and 20 amp circuits, namely #14 and #12. If you change to a 30 amp receptacle, you are not permitted to change the plugs on your equipment to a 30 amp plugs or make adaptors. Your only option is to replace the 30 amp breakers with 15 or 20 amp breakers depending on the wire size. This will have no effect on the sound of your equipment. Any damage or injury involving your installation or any of this equipment connected to it will not be covered by your insurance policy and you are personally liable.

BOGGIE917
02-17-2004, 02:11 PM
i own my own house payed en elec. to do this change out all wire upgraded to 100 amp
service with 6 recepticals and 30 amp breakers yes i did help with noise if you know M1.0t amps and all my lights don't dim out to allmost off have a nice day go bother someone else
skepeckerless !

skeptic
02-17-2004, 03:15 PM
You many own your own house but any electrician who would wire a 20 amp receptacle on a 30 amp breaker should have his license revoked. I know you don't know any better but he should. BTW, technically you are supposed to get a permit and have it inspected by the town building department inspector. I guarantee it would not have passed.

happy ears
02-18-2004, 08:51 PM
Skeptic, in Canada or most provinces Master Electricans do not require a permit to preform electrical work. However I always advise people to get a permit which is relatively cheap which comes with free inspections. Because you are right most people do not know anything about electrical systems. Love to see the results of a 15 amp device plugged into a 30 amp service when it runs into a problem. If it is true that all electronic parts have smoke in them, then wires must have enormous quantities of smoke in them.

As Boggie917 also had his service upgraded to 100 amp I would think that he only had 50 amp service before this and this upgrade was probably the most important. With all those amps I could understand his lights dimming. I listen to my music with the lights off so it wouldn't have affected me but the other peolpe in the house would not be impressed.

Finally Boggie cheap name calling brings no value or information to this debate. I may disagree with Skeptic on certain issues but this is a debate not a mud slinging contest.

Yeah Skeptic I still do my own electrical work on smaller pojects, bought some books about electrical work and codes. Yep run down to the city for my little piece a paper, as I have nothing to hide from the city. Yeah, one day when I build my garage and need to upgrade my panel and I will pay a Master Electrican to preform the work and it will be inspected by the city. I trust nobody but myself.

Have A Great day and enjoy the music.

skeptic
02-19-2004, 08:54 AM
It is an anomoly I find a little peculiar in the National Electrical Code that allows 15 amp convenience outlets to be wired on a 20 amp circuit. This is due to the expected "diversity" meaning that no one receptacle is expect to draw in excess of 15 amps. Even so, most receptacles have a built in safety factor. Of course, for a "dedicated" 20 amp receptacle, no more than a 20 amp circuit is permitted. The risk that is created by wiring a 15 or 20 amp receptacle on a 30 amp circuit is that a draw of say 25 amps would overload it and could cause it to fail without tripping the circuit breaker. The code's ONLY function is to assure electrical safety and is made to be as idiot proof as possible. The only problem is that you have to comply with it in order to get that benefit.

Homeowners can do their own wiring if they comply with the codes and the local building department requirements such as filing for a permit if that is what the municipality wants. There are lots of resources to tell you how to do it correctly and safely such as books offered by Home Depot. However, going off on your own and doing whatever you feel you want to do can get you into a pack of trouble if there is ever an accident and you didn't comply. Try suing the unlicensed Saturday afternoon electrician/handiman who did exactly what you wanted and didn't know anything about the code either. Ignorance of the law will not get you off the hook when the smoke clears.