Plaxico Burress. What a dumbass! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress. What a dumbass!

Swish
11-30-2008, 04:21 PM
So here we have a bona fide star of the NFL who caught the winning TD pass in last year's Super Bowl shooting himself in the foot...literally! Well, it was his leg, but foot makes for a funnier line.

Burress, like a number of other wide receivers, has always been a jerk, but this episode in New York could put him in jail. He takes a gun into a NYC nightclub and, when confronted by security, tries to unload it and accidentally shoots himself, then he refuses help and has a teammate take him to the hospital. He didn't hit bone or an artery, so he'll be fine physically, but his troubles are just starting.

A police investigation begins surrounding the discovery that Burress does not have a license to carry a firearm in New York. A conviction on a charge of illegal possession of a firearm in New York City carries a mandatory minimum sentence of 3.5 years, thanks to strict gun legislation passed in 2006 and proposed by NYC mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration. Reports surface that the weapon in question was removed from the scene by Pierce, an act that could come with an obstruction of justice charge for the linebacker.apparently got rid of the gun.

Sure, his attorney is saying he is innocent, but it looks really bad for him. Here's a guy with millions and, instead of just taking a body guard along or something, he carries a gun while drinking, and this could ruin his career. Yeah, he's a dumba<a>ss

bobsticks
11-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, a prince of dumbasses among many.

One of the things that nobody talks about when these things happen is how easy it is to get a concealed-carry license. Even in "Can Issue" states all one has to do is get the application and show that there is a reasonable circumstance...potential for kidnapping, carry large amounts of cash, etc. The whole process could be expedited and then when your dunbass shoots yourself in the foot you can wait for an ambulance instead of limping out into the night.

There was an article recently about NHL ticket sales starting to be competitive with NBA sales. I suspect that, at least in part, it's because folks are tired of reading about thug-like behaviour from spoiled millionares. This can be applied to the NFL too.

On topic for the mods:

NP:http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000CQQHVI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

kexodusc
11-30-2008, 05:15 PM
It's getting painful to read these stories.

What I can't figure out is why the more clean-cut/straight edge guys in the game like LT and McNabb get absolutely eaten alive by their own fans when they are nothing but the heroes and role models everyone claims they want to see in the NFL.
For all their flaws on the field, at least they haven't killed anyone, commited any felonies or bet on cock fights or anything (that we know of).

Bah. Must be the all that Chunky Soup.

3-LockBox
11-30-2008, 07:05 PM
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy...:rolleyes5:

he gots more dollars than sense :frown2:

thekid
11-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I have to wonder what's going on with this guy. Its seems like a personality tranplant in the last year or so.

He is one of several professional athletes from this area who up until now managed to keep his name out of the papers, unlike Mssrs. Vick and Iverson also from this area. He used to come back to their area and quietly do some charity work without the usually "Hey look at me" attitude.

Hopefully this incident will be a wake up call but the track record for athletes who start down this road is not a good one......

Troy
11-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Too bad he missed his head.

thekid
12-01-2008, 02:46 AM

Troy- A little too harsh and a bit out of bounds even in jest.........

Rich-n-Texas
12-01-2008, 05:43 AM
He'll be a Dallas Cowboy next year if he doesn't go to jail... wait, he'll still be a Dallas Convict even if he does go to jail.

3-LockBox
12-01-2008, 05:48 AM
I have to wonder what's going on with this guy. Its seems like a personality tranplant in the last year or so.

No, this sort of thing has been an on-going problem with this dude. He was ok last year, but only because Shockey got hurt and so Plaxico was featured more prominently in the offense. Go back two years before they won the Superbowl, back when they were Team Turmoil - Plaxico was in the thick of the crap flinging, only he wasn't as big a star as the main two slingers, Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey, so he didn't stick out as much. I was at the Seahawks game where he basically quit on the field. And this sort of crap got him run outta Pittsburg. He is a guy who just doesn't get it. The Giants should trade him immediately if he gets out of the jam he's in.

Hyfi
12-01-2008, 06:40 AM

I'm with you on this one too. Save a bullet for Vick, Iverson and several others. I'm tired of Pro Sports being dominated by millionaire thugs who can barely sign their own name on the contract. Just more reasons why I WILL NOT purchase tickets and support these bums.

And how can you claim you are innocent of illegally carrying a firearm when the evidence is in your own leg. Save the taxpayers money and lock his stupid ass up now!

I'm thinking that pro sports should also include an IQ test and a background check besides the ability to play a game. McNabb included for his moronic understanding of overtime in the NFL.

Swish
12-01-2008, 06:46 AM
It's getting painful to read these stories.

What I can't figure out is why the more clean-cut/straight edge guys in the game like LT and McNabb get absolutely eaten alive by their own fans when they are nothing but the heroes and role models everyone claims they want to see in the NFL.
For all their flaws on the field, at least they haven't killed anyone, commited any felonies or bet on cock fights or anything (that we know of).

Bah. Must be the all that Chunky Soup.

...work he's been doing with the help of his wife? Many athletes get involved, especially guys like L.T. and Albert Pujols, but not guys like Burress who, like many others, are all about themselves and have some sense of entitlement instead of gratitude for being paid so well to play a game. I know there are many sports agents who advise their clients to get involved with charities, but I highly doubt Plaxico's is one of them.

Duds
12-01-2008, 06:54 AM
How anyone can watch the NBA is beyond me.

hockey is, in my opinion, the best sport. its about time ticket sales caught up with the nothing but a-hole league.

[QUOTE=bobsticks]
There was an article recently about NHL ticket sales starting to be competitive with NBA sales. I suspect that, at least in part, it's because folks are tired of reading about thug-like behaviour from spoiled millionares. This can be applied to the NFL too.

GMichael
12-01-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm a Giants fan and even I say he's a jerk. Trade him to the C'boys ASAP.

Rich-n-Texas
12-01-2008, 08:06 AM
I'm a Giants fan and even I say he's a jerk. Trade him to the C'boys ASAP.
Jerry Jones is chomping at the bit... trust me. :rolleyes:

GMichael
12-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Jerry Jones is chomping at the bit... trust me. :rolleyes:

THEN who would Romo throw to first? Two babies crying that they never get the ball would work out great.
The Giants did better this week without him.

Troy
12-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Troy- A little too harsh and a bit out of bounds even in jest.........

Get over it. If what I said was out of bounds for you, your bounds are WAY too small.

Trade him to the C'boys ASAP.

Between TO, Roy Williams and Witten, the Cowflops are truly loaded at WR. They don't need Plax as much as, say, Philly does. And Reid has had criminals living under his own roof for years (his kids), so he shouldn't have a problem with Plax's attitude.

Plax is a bum who will never appear on a NY uniform again, and may be out of the NFL forever. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on way out.

Swish
12-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Get over it. If what I said was out of bounds for you, your bounds are WAY too small.

Between TO, Roy Williams and Witten, the Cowflops are truly loaded at WR. They don't need Plax as much as, say, Philly does. And Reid has had criminals living under his own roof for years (his kids), so he shouldn't have a problem with Plax's attitude.

Plax is a bum who will never appear on a NY uniform again, and may be out of the NFL forever. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on way out.

I thought the 'too bad he missed his head' comment was a laugh riot. Witten is a tight end, not a wide receiver. To think the Eagles passed on him for L.J. Smith!

As for Andy Reid, an NFL coach's job is brutal, so I doubt he was around much to be of much help. Plus, they were adults, not 'kids' as you put it. How about the coach whose son committed suicide? Do we blame him for it? I don't think so.

Swish

GMichael
12-01-2008, 08:51 AM

Oh, I don't know about this part. Someone will take him. Even Vick will play again, why not this thug? Please don't let it be here though. Send him to the Lions for next year's number 1 pick.

Swish
12-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Oh, I don't know about this part. Someone will take him. Even Vick will play again, why not this thug? Please don't let it be here though. Send him to the Lions for next year's number 1 pick.

Like I said, it's a mandatory 3.5 year sentence, but his famous lawyer will probably be able to get him a deal cut. Happens all the time for the wealthy with no previous record.

I agree the Giants should sever their ties and get back their bonus money too.

GMichael
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately, justice is for "just us" when it comes to the wealthy sometimes. (do I need a footnote here?) *

*Animal Farm.

Swish
12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Unfortunately, justice is for "just us" when it comes to the wealthy sometimes. (do I need a footnote here?) *

*Animal Farm.

...from large firms that have nearly unlimited resources to gather research and pick about the prosecution, they certainly stand a better chance of either getting off scot free or at least a reduced sentence. If I were that wealthy and in trouble, I'd certainly do the same thing, but it does raise a lot of issues.The most obvious example is O.J. Simpson, although Michael Vick didn't get off so easily.

Hyfi
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
...from large firms that have nearly unlimited resources to gather research and pick about the prosecution, they certainly stand a better chance of either getting off scot free or at least a reduced sentence. If I were that wealthy and in trouble, I'd certainly do the same thing, but it does raise a lot of issues.The most obvious example is O.J. Simpson, although Michael Vick didn't get off so easily.

Just curious, how does he plead Not Guilty when he DID have a gun and he shot himself? It should be about a 5 minute trial. Money or no money, this is a no brainer. He carried a gun illegally and that's it! Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not get off easy for a first offense.

Maybe he didn't know carrying a gun during overtime was illegal.

GMichael
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM

OJ didn't kill any dogs (that I know of). In this country, killing dogs is a way more serious offense than killing two people and chopping them up into shark chum.

I know that I was facing up to 10 years for the M-80 I was caught with back in 92. A plea bargain got me away with just a $1000 fine. If I had his money I'd spend some to get off with as little as possible. It's only human.

I still say, trade his @ss while he's still worth more than a song.:21:

GMichael
12-01-2008, 10:39 AM
Just curious, how does he plead Not Guilty when he DID have a gun and he shot himself? It should be about a 5 minute trial. Money or no money, this is a no brainer. He carried a gun illegally and that's it! Go directly to jail. Do not pass go, do not get off easy for a first offense.

Maybe he didn't know carrying a gun during overtime was illegal.

He needs to go get a valid NYC permit before it goes to trial. Then they explain how he didn't know that the permit he had didn't cover him in the city. A few promises, pleas bargains and fines later, he'll be back to work in no time.

Hyfi
12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
He needs to go get a valid NYC permit before it goes to trial. Then they explain how he didn't know that the permit he had didn't cover him in the city. A few promises, pleas bargains and fines later, he'll be back to work in no time.

Ignorance of the law should be no excuse. I have my permit to carry in PA and know that it ONLY covers PA. Maybe if the guy could actually read he may have been able to see what his permit covered.

I know if I get caught carrying to NJ, I would not have to surrender myself to the authorities, I would already be in jail. What would he plead if he shot the security guard and not himself?

GMichael
12-01-2008, 10:55 AM
Ignorance of the law should be no excuse. I have my permit to carry in PA and know that it ONLY covers PA. Maybe if the guy could actually read he may have been able to see what his permit covered.

I know if I get caught carrying to NJ, I would not have to surrender myself to the authorities, I would already be in jail. What would he plead if he shot the security guard and not himself?

I'm not saying that I don't agree with you in theory. It's just that theory and practice often do not look the same.

Rich-n-Texas
12-01-2008, 10:59 AM
...I know that I was facing up to 10 years for the M-80 I was caught with back in 92. A plea bargain got me away with just a $1000 fine.
WTF?!?! You had to plead your way out of a 10 year term over an M-80?! Who's cornflakes did you piss on that day? :yikes:

(Must've been some liberal-assed judge, huh?)

GMichael
12-01-2008, 11:14 AM
WTF?!?! You had to plead your way out of a 10 year term over an M-80?! Who's cornflakes did you piss on that day? :yikes:

(Must've been some liberal-assed judge, huh?)

It was a NY State Trooper Trainer teaching a young NY State Rookie how to screw someone hard. He repeatedly apologized as I was strip searched and then handcuffed to a cement wall for 7 hours. Seemed like a nice guy doing his job, a little too well. I was charged with possession of an explosive. Maybe my RUSH T-shirt made me look like a terrorist.

The judge told me that he did me a favor by arraigning me over the phone on a Friday night instead of making me spend the weekend at OCJ.

Rich-n-Texas
12-01-2008, 11:21 AM
It was a NY State Trooper Trainer teaching a young NY State Rookie how to screw someone hard. He repeatedly apologized as I was strip searched and then handcuffed to a cement wall for 7 hours. Seemed like a nice guy doing his job, a little too well. I was charged with possession of an explosive. Maybe my RUSH T-shirt made me look like a terrorist.

The judge told me that he did me a favor by arraigning me over the phone on a Friday night instead of making me spend the weekend at OCJ.
Or your Harley D and club riding leathers?
On Topic:

It's just that theory and practice often do not look the same.
THIS is the no-brainer. Like as has already been said, a fat wallet will get you a fat lawyer with connections, so no matter how the law reads, there'll always be a way out for the rich.

Duds
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Let's not forget about the idiot Antonio Pierce trying to hide the gun...

Swish
12-01-2008, 01:04 PM

The ironic thing is, he may now face charge in New Jersey too. Getting a permit now won't happen. He would be denied since he was dumb enough to carry it into a bar WHILE DRINKING and then shooting himself in the foot. Besides, it won't make a bit of difference to get one after the incident. That's like getting a driver's license after you cause a wreck while driving without one.

As for Antonio Pierce, he's crazy to stick up for Plax. Crazy or stupid, and he will now face charges too. Good decision!

GMichael
12-01-2008, 01:15 PM
The ironic thing is, he many now face charge in New Jersey too. Getting a permit now won't happen. He would be denied since he was dumb enough to carry it into a bar WHILE DRINKING and then shooting himself in the foot. Besides, it won't make a bit of difference to get one after the incident. That's like getting a driver's license after you cause a wreck while driving without one.

As for Antonio Pierce, he's crazy to stick up for Plax. Crazy or stupid, and he will now face charges too. Good decision!
It's that unwritten team code thing. If one goes down they all go down.

Rich-n-Texas
12-01-2008, 01:26 PM
So was there a "low speed chase" when they went to the hospital? White Bronco?

Hyfi
12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
So was there a "low speed chase" when they went to the hospital? White Bronco?

And then walked away to commit more crimes. Looks like a pattern here.

3-LockBox
12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
I hate to tell you guys this, but it is about the money. If Michael Vick had just killed humans instead of poor innocent dogs...

Burress should be able to buy his way out on this. Maybe the police will want to make another example out of a professional athlete, but its still too close to the Vick trial - it'll look like the wrong motivation and frankly, I'm tired of seeing Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton getting their mugs on TV for doing nothing. Lets face it, what Burress did was stupid and reprehensible, but the fact that he's a dick shouldn't compound the charges or the punishment.

Just like I said, some guys got more dollars than sense, and even though it gets way way too much coverage, it shouldn't be representative of an entire league.

As far as an IQ test, I thought there was one...and speaking of McNabb, he ain't done nothin to deserve being lumped into the same company as idiots like Vick, Jones, and Burress.

GMichael
12-02-2008, 06:19 AM
I hate to tell you guys this, but it is about the money. If Michael Vick had just killed humans instead of poor innocent dogs...

Burress should be able to buy his way out on this. Maybe the police will want to make another example out of a professional athlete, but its still too close to the Vick trial - it'll look like the wrong motivation and frankly, I'm tired of seeing Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton getting their mugs on TV for doing nothing. Lets face it, what Burress did was stupid and reprehensible, but the fact that he's a dick shouldn't compound the charges or the punishment.

Just like I said, some guys got more dollars than sense, and even though it gets way way too much coverage, it shouldn't be representative of an entire league.

As far as an IQ test, I thought there was one...and speaking of McNabb, he ain't done nothin to deserve being lumped into the same company as idiots like Vick, Jones, and Burress.

I think McNabb was mentioned only as an example of how some players do have more brains than cash. (Or, at least stay out of trouble. He does have a ton of cash!)

I saw last night that the 3.5 year minimum sentence only applies if they can prove that Plax had intent to use the gun on someone. Not sure how that will pan out.

Speaking of Sharpton. I got the privilege of meeting the man back in the late 80's when he was involved with the Brawley case. He's even more of a jerk in person.

Swish
12-03-2008, 05:26 AM
This looks valid to me.

GMichael
12-03-2008, 06:10 AM
This looks valid to me.

Wouldn't this bump his IQ up a few points? After all, Dopey never shot himself.

Hyfi
12-03-2008, 07:32 AM
I think McNabb was mentioned only as an example of how some players do have more brains than cash. (Or, at least stay out of trouble. He does have a ton of cash!)

I hope you meant to say "more cash than brains". I only lumped him into the IQ testing statement because he has no clue of the rules to the game he plays.

When I was growing up, Pro Athletes didn't need a rubber stamp to sign their name, they actually had brains and integrity. Today, you need neither, just muscle and the enjoyment of men touching men.

GMichael
12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
I hope you meant to say "more cash than brains". I only lumped him into the IQ testing statement because he has no clue of the rules to the game he plays.

When I was growing up, Pro Athletes didn't need a rubber stamp to sign their name, they actually had brains and integrity. Today, you need neither, just muscle and the enjoyment of men touching men.

That's why I added this part. (Or, at least stay out of trouble. He does have a ton of cash!)

He seems like a nice guy with a bunch of class. Not sure why he didn't know that rule.

Also not sure where you are going with the men touching men thing. :skep:

Swish
12-03-2008, 10:29 AM

It's one obscure rule and there hadn't been a tie in over 6 years in the NFL., and only 14 since 1980. They're as rare as hens' teeth and I wouldn't judge him to harshly for it. You can't know every stinkin' rule in football. There are just too many and, with all the game film he has to review, new plays, practice...I can understand why this would slip by. Really.

Swish

Rich-n-Texas
12-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I agree Swish. And even though the Eagles are on my sh!t list, and IMO Donovan is a head case, he's got way more to think about during a game than some rarely used rule about overtime situations.

GMichael
12-03-2008, 10:53 AM
It's one obscure rule and there hadn't been a tie in over 6 years in the NFL., and only 14 since 1980. They're rare than hen's teeth and I wouldn't judge him to harshly for it. You can't know every stinkin' rule in football. There are just too many and, with all the game film he has to review, new plays, practice...I can understand why this would slip by. Really.

Swish

He's a nice guy, but I can't give him a bye on this one. He's a QB in the NFL. He should know every rule that could affect his strategy. And even I knew this one.

Hey! What happened to my sarcasm detector? Was Rich playing with this thing again?

Rich-n-Texas
12-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Your sarcasm detectors are junk GM. I have yet to find one that works right! It's time to rethink your manufacturing processes, and NO, you don't get any money from us taxpayers so don't even try.

GMichael
12-03-2008, 11:36 AM
A few weeks ago, I saw a kickoff that looked like it was going to go out of bounds. Most people know that this is a penalty and would give the receiving team the ball on the 40. But the ball took a strange bounce (as it sometimes does) and stayed inbounds near the line. The receiver was smart enough to know that if he had one foot out of bounds when he picked up the ball it would end up on the 40 as well. So he reached with one leg and picked up the ball while stretched out as far as he could. I had never heard of that rule, but I sure knew about ties. It's a matter of record that many teams have ended up with a (1) in that third column. Even if it had not happened in a long time, it does happen and it makes it into the standings every time. That kickoff rule is something that won't show up in the w/l record at the end of any season. "Sorry Donavan. You should have known that rule." How else will he know to hurry up if time is running out at the end of overtime. He needs to know that rule to do his job correctly.
I don't mean to bash Donavan. I like him as a man, and as a QB.

3-LockBox
12-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't think that McNabb's gaff is all that big of a deal. It wasn't too long ago that overtime in the NFL was a two period maximum, now its just one. But still, McNabb should just keep quiet and not volunteer any random thought, no matter how seemingly harmless he thinks it will be, because he's got a bulls-eye on him at all times. And to think Rush Limbaugh got fired over what he said 4 or 5 years ago about McNabb. Its mild compared to whats said about McNabb now.

Swish
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I think McNabb should have known, but ignorance of that obscure fact of knowledge is forgiveable in the context of all the stuff players could potentially know. Dozens of times each game, players in the NFL forget cues and patterns and plays, options etc, all which contribute to the end result. To single on that one blunder is a bit unfair. But he's a target, and easy one at that, and the scapegoat usually for all that is wrong with the players on that team.
I feel bad for him. But damn, if that was a playoff game he'd chased by the mob.
Every star player screws it up for their team during their career. No big deal here.

The fact that he said he didn't realize until after the game probably made no difference. He doesn't call the plays and he couldn't will them to break the tie. He sucked that game, but so did the rest of the team.

kexodusc
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I think McNabb should have known, but ignorance of that obscure fact of knowledge is forgiveable in the context of all the stuff players could potentially know. Dozens of times each game, players in the NFL forget cues and patterns and plays, options etc, all which contribute to the end result. To single on that one blunder is a bit unfair. But he's a target, and easy one at that, and the scapegoat usually for all that is wrong with the players on that team.
I feel bad for him. But damn, if that was a playoff game he'd chased by the mob.
Every star player screws it up for their team during their career. No big deal here.

Rich-n-Texas
12-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Look at that! Swish quoted Kex even though Kex hadn't posted yet. This place is going to hell-in-a-handbasket. :rolleyes:

On Topic: Can we get back to Plax? Anything to report today?

Hyfi
12-03-2008, 12:07 PM
It's one obscure rule and there hadn't been a tie in over 6 years in the NFL., and only 14 since 1980. They're as rare as hens' teeth and I wouldn't judge him to harshly for it. You can't know every stinkin' rule in football. There are just too many and, with all the game film he has to review, new plays, practice...I can understand why this would slip by. Really.

Swish

OK, maybe I'll give you that one. But, How many of these guys after playing the game since they were 5 years old still don't know that holding is a penalty?

I think it's time to start using Soccer rules in other sports. If your an ass, you get the Yellow card. If your an ass twice, you get the Red card and your gone for the rest of the game and your team has to play short handed because your an ass. Maybe that would clean up the game a bit.

GMichael
12-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Look at that! Swish quoted Kex even though Kex hadn't posted yet. This place is going to hell-in-a-handbasket. :rolleyes:

On Topic: Can we get back to Plax? Anything to report today?

The local paper says that he is suspended for the rest of the season.

Rich-n-Texas
12-03-2008, 12:29 PM
Well, that's a good start.

GMichael
12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, that's a good start.

Fines of over $200,000 a week.

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081203/SPORTS/812030347/-1/SPORTS08

This is the worst part for Giant fans.
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081203/SPORTS/81203017/-1/SPORTS08

bobsticks
12-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Let's not forget the doctor who now pays a price as well:

Dr. Josyann Abisaab was suspended for not reporting Burress injury. She apparently arrived at the hospital at 2 a.m. to treat him, but it’s not clear why she was called.

GMichael
12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Let's not forget the doctor who now pays a price as well:

Suspended.