A humbling experience [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A humbling experience

02audionoob
11-29-2008, 10:10 PM
Today, I went to a home theater store that I hadn't known was there until I saw an ad in the local newspaper. The ad showed some B&W speakers and I'd never heard any, before. They had a room with a Mcintosh MC402 amp, a C46 preamp and an MS750 music server with about 5 different pairs of B&W speakers. The largest pair were playing. They had the Nautilus look but were about 4 feet tall. This setup was playing The Look of Love by Diana Krall, an album that's very familiar to me, so that was good.

Now, I'll admit I've not listened to much high-end equipment. It's mostly new to me. But despite not having much point of reference I must say, this system was absolutely terrific. I knew at first glance it should be the best system I've ever heard, but I was still floored at how effortless it sounded. Sibilance totally under control. Tight bass. Amazingly realistic imaging. Not a bit of harsh edge to anything. I really had to try hard to resist the temptation to sit on the sofa and just listen to the entire album. Just amazing.

pixelthis
11-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Today, I went to a home theater store that I hadn't known was there until I saw an ad in the local newspaper. The ad showed some B&W speakers and I'd never heard any, before. They had a room with a Mcintosh MC402 amp, a C46 preamp and an MS750 music server with about 5 different pairs of B&W speakers. The largest pair were playing. They had the Nautilus look but were about 4 feet tall. This setup was playing The Look of Love by Diana Krall, an album that's very familiar to me, so that was good.

Now, I'll admit I've not listened to much high-end equipment. It's mostly new to me. But despite not having much point of reference I must say, this system was absolutely terrific. I knew at first glance it should be the best system I've ever heard, but I was still floored at how effortless it sounded. Sibilance totally under control. Tight bass. Amazingly realistic imaging. Not a bit of harsh edge to anything. I really had to try hard to resist the temptation to sit on the sofa and just listen to the entire album. Just amazing.

wellcome to the real world.
B&W speakers hooked up to a MAC amp, playing Krall even.
Life doesnt get any better than that.
Good news, a cheaper pair of beemers will sound great also,
and last forever(one pair of mine are seven years, one eight).
B&W is known for their magical Nautilus line, but they are also known as the patron saint of the poorass audiophile.
I have a 540$ pair of 602s2"s, matched with a CC6 center, best stuff I ever bought.
Dont know about their line of DM economy speakers.
I bought a pair of dm305 floorstanders on closeout and they still run neck and neck with my 602's, but those were made in England.
Their new economy line is made in China, and I had a bad experience with Klipsh speakers made in China.
Doesnt mean Chinese beemers are bad tho.
I made the mistake of leaving B&W once, wont make that
mistake again.
And even tho you can get by without one, because of B&W's legendary bass, they make a sweet musical sub also.:1:

E-Stat
12-01-2008, 07:14 AM
...but I was still floored at how effortless it sounded. Sibilance totally under control. Tight bass. Amazingly realistic imaging. Not a bit of harsh edge to anything. I really had to try hard to resist the temptation to sit on the sofa and just listen to the entire album. Just amazing.
As you indicated, there is an ease and authority to the best systems I've heard over the years. It's not about booming bass and sizzling highs. When I was first exposed to McIntosh back in the 70s, I was very disappointed. Like Cadillac, they were more interested in fancy backlighting, gee-gaws than performance. I'm pleased that they have reinvented themselves in the intervening years and now make some excellent gear. I confess that I prefer their current tube stuff though. Hopefully you'll have a chance to sample some large planar speakers which provide a more realistic sound to these ears than box monopole designs.

rw