You guys have to hear Cynic [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : You guys have to hear Cynic

Mr Peabody
11-29-2008, 07:33 PM
I got my copy of Cynic's, Traced In Air album today. It is very good and I think many of you would like it too. They're classified as Metal and although the album has aspects of Opeth, Rush and Porcupine Tree they really defy category. Cynic has an excellent drummer and they will stand out which is the similarity to Rush. I feel even though the drummer does the double Metal kick his overall style leans toward a Phil Collins. There are growling vocals at points but they are blended with Masvilad's almost angelic voice which works very well. The growling and melodic aspects is the parallel to Opeth. Masvilad is also an excellent guitarist, more along the lines of Jazz/Fusion than Metal. Also missing is heavy distortion and any thrashing. All of this makes for an interesting and fairly unique blend. I really think we will see big things from these guys. They did have a debut album 15 years ago but disbanded before Traced In Air could be complete. In today's market coming in at a run time of only 34 minutes you wonder if it still wasn't complete but it's 34 minutes of great music though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B001F4YH54/ref=pd_krex_dp_a

Finch Platte
12-01-2008, 09:02 AM
I posted about these guys (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=28681) not too long ago, and no one was too interested.

As I told you in my email, I went & bought the disc, got it home & realized I had just paid $15 (after tax) for a disc w/ less than 35 minutes of music on it. I duped it, then took it back, pissed off that I had been "taken." I know, real mature, and call me a cynic, but fock those guys. :mad:

I haven't given it a real listen yet, but maybe someday I will when I cool off. :prrr:

:p

Hyfi
12-01-2008, 09:24 AM
I listened to the samples from the link you sent me. From the 30 second clips, I got nothing but the "same old". Drum beats were the same on almost all tracks along with lousy vocals. Nothing I have not heard yet. Sorry, this one is not for me.

Mr Peabody
12-01-2008, 05:08 PM
The vocals are actually very good. The drummer is excellent, they do the double kick to try and meet the Metal quota but the rhythms and fills he does are very good.

Finchy I don't know how I missed your post. I got Opeth, Still Life today, a double album for the price of a single, now that's value. Well I should wait until I hear it first I guess before declaring it a value. What's your choice a small load of gold or a ton of crap :) I keep listening to Watershed hoping it will grow on me. Depending on my mood sometimes I like it more than others. I liked what I heard of Still Life, if this album don't do it for me I will probably give up on Opeth.

Back to Cynic, did your album come in the book style? Didn't you think the poster in the back in addition to the 34 minutes of music pushed it to the value point :)

ironbird01
12-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Have You Guys checked out Gordian Knot?

http://www.seanmalone.net/

Mr Peabody
12-01-2008, 06:48 PM
I have a Gordian Knot disc, I forgot the name but it starts out with sort of a bass solo intro that plays very deep or at least recorded in a way to test your woofers. I like the album pretty well. I wanted to check out others by them but the samples sounded similar to the album I have.

* Correction, Still Life is not a double album. The second disc is a 5.1 mix on a DVD. Unfortunately the DVD has no footage just a picture with the song title. I didn't listen to the entire DVD I just wanted to check it out. They do put some of the instruments in the rear speakers but it's a cool alternative to the CD. Like on one song the acoustic guitar starts in the right rear then goes to the left rear.

I also like Still Life a lot. Watershed seems like the growling vocals and speed drums was an after thought and they just spliced it in any where. On Still Life the growling is part of the song and blends very well. The transitions on Still Life are done much better from the more up tempo to acoustic or slower passages, Still Life flows where Watershed is to choppy.

ForeverAutumn
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I haven't heard Still Life, but I really like Watershed.

3-LockBox
12-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Have You Guys checked out Gordian Knot?

http://www.seanmalone.net/

I have two of their albums (and no, they do not do CMVs)