Bridging Marantz MA6100 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Bridging Marantz MA6100

Tom Kouwenberg
11-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Hi there audio-enthusiasts

I am proud owner of an active homemade loudspeaker system, driven by 8 Marantz MA6100, I was thinking of bridging 2 MA6100 for the bas-section, in the manual it is not shown how, could anybody help me out?

thanks for any tips.
Tom.

Feanor
11-29-2008, 01:26 PM
Hi there audio-enthusiasts

I am proud owner of an active homemade loudspeaker system, driven by 8 Marantz MA6100, I was thinking of bridging 2 MA6100 for the bas-section, in the manual it is not shown how, could anybody help me out?

thanks for any tips.
Tom.

Hi, Tom, and welcome to AR Forums.

Perhaps someone can give you a specific answer for this amp but not me. However don't attempt to bridge the MA6100 without confirming that it's possible for that particular unit. Some amps aren't designed to be bridged and attempting to do so could have a very bad outcome for the amp, speakers, or both.

Glen B
02-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Tom, what you're looking to do is STRAP two separate amps together. Unless they were made to be strappable, you can't do so and will destroy them.. Also, in bridging/strapping, one amp channel is fed an inverted input signal and the other is fed a non-inverted signal. You would need either a preamp that outputs inverted/non-inverted signals or a bridging adapter that accomplishes the same thing.

Kevio
02-14-2009, 07:47 AM
I found a picture of the backside (http://www.marantz.com/p_product_alt.cfm?id=479&cont=u&img_ext=bck). The inverted output leads me to believe that these are designed for bridging. The theory on bridging amplifiers says that you run the signal into one, run a patch from the inverted output to the input of the other. Connect the black speaker terminals together. Connect the positive connection to the speaker to the red terminal on the first amp and the negative speaker connection to the red terminal on the second amp. Of course I would suggest you find a manual and verify this information.

Glen B
02-14-2009, 10:44 AM
The owner's manual for the amp is available on the Marantz website. Its strange though that it provides no information on the use of the inverted output or on strapping two units together. The OP needs to get confirmation from Marantz that the amps can be run that way.