New Naim Integrated Amp!!! Nait XS [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Naim Integrated Amp!!! Nait XS

Ajani
11-28-2008, 08:06 AM
Looks like Naim is really going for modern flexible products now... They've just introduced a new Integrated amp based on the SuperNAIT (without the DAC):

http://www.naimusa.com/cms/index.php/news/333-new-product-nait-xs-integrated-amplifier.html

Priced at $2,250, 60 watts per channel & most interestingly can be used as either a pre or power amp....

audio amateur
11-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Sexy lookin' thing. I always like Naim guts:D

Ajani
11-28-2008, 08:32 AM
Sexy lookin' thing. I always like Naim guts:D

Yep... as if I wasn't confused enough with all the options available... now I've got to start thinking about what the Naim Nait XS (Extra Special?) and a pair of Totem Hawks might sound like...

:incazzato:

elapsed
11-28-2008, 09:46 AM
Looks like Naim is really going for modern flexible products now... They've just introduced a new Integrated amp based on the SuperNAIT (without the DAC)
The Nait XS looks brilliant, may even give my 122/150 a run for the money. Twice the power of the original Nait 5, upgradable with external power supply, iPod connection, powered input for phono stage, pre-outs, and for the first time they are offering all RCA as an option (wtf Naim, you've finally given in).

I suspect this will become Naim's strongest selling product once it ships, though knowing Naim this won't be out for another 6-12 months ;)

Yep... as if I wasn't confused enough with all the options available... now I've got to start thinking about what the Naim Nait XS (Extra Special?) and a pair of Totem Hawks might sound like...
Funny you mention that, I was just about to audition a pair of Totem Sttaf and Totem Hawks. Beautiful speakers! I've been really impressed with my friend's Aro's.

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
11-28-2008, 10:15 AM
The Nait XS looks brilliant, may even give my 122/150 a run for the money. Twice the power of the original Nait 5, upgradable with external power supply, iPod connection, powered input for phono stage, pre-outs, and for the first time they are offering all RCA as an option (wtf Naim, you've finally given in).

Yep... it looks like Naim is intent on dramatically increasing their market share...

I suspect this will become Naim's strongest selling product once it ships, though knowing Naim this won't be out for another 6-12 months ;)

I also think it will become their strongest or at least one of their best selling products...

Funny you mention that, I was just about to audition a pair of Totem Sttaf and Totem Hawks. Beautiful speakers! I've been really impressed with my friend's Aro's.

cheers,
elapsed

I haven't auditioned the Totems in about 2 years, but from what I remember, the Arros and Hawks were the best ones in their line... The Sttaf was kind of the odd-man-out in the lineup (though it has its own fans as well)...

If you still had the Nait 5i, then I'd suggest using the Arros, but with the high quality gear you've got now, I suspect the Hawk would be the minimum you'd want to consider....

elapsed
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Actually would love a pair of Totem Model-1 Signature's, but the 150x poweramp won't have enough drive for these beauties. I would need a 250 poweramp at minimum, but this is 3x the cost of my present amp

Regardless, the blokes over at Naim forum highly recommend the Hawk's with my present setup. Only one Totem dealer now in Vancouver, so crossing my fingers I can home audition these speakers next year

My next purchases are a Naim Hi-Line interconnect and Squeezebox Duet, then need to work out what I'm going to do for headphones

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
11-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Actually would love a pair of Totem Model-1 Signature's, but the 150x poweramp won't have enough drive for these beauties. I would need a 250 poweramp at minimum, but this is 3x the cost of my present amp

Regardless, the blokes over at Naim forum highly recommend the Hawk's with my present setup. Only one Totem dealer now in Vancouver, so crossing my fingers I can home audition these speakers next year

My next purchases are a Naim Hi-Line interconnect and Squeezebox Duet, then need to work out what I'm going to do for headphones

cheers,
elapsed

Have you decided on a Headphone Amp Yet? Are you going with Naim or are you going to try for a totally different sound for the Headphone setup?

elapsed
11-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Have you decided on a Headphone Amp Yet? Are you going with Naim or are you going to try for a totally different sound for the Headphone setup?
I'm committed to an all Naim system, so I'm looking at a Headline 2 with NAPSC2 power supply. But I still have a hesitation in that the Stax system I auditioned absolutely blew away the Naim system, the difference was enormous for roughly the same price I would be paying for a Naim/HD650 system with headphone cable upgrade. Only thing is that I don't have the room for the Stax headphone amp, which uses proprietary connectors, so I'm strongly debating which direction I'd like to take this

Decisions decisions!

elapsed

Mr Peabody
11-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I wish some one remotely close handled Stax. I'd love to hear a set up. From what bit I've heard tubes and electrostats can be an incredible combo. That's one reason I'd like to get my hands on a pair of Martin Logans to see how they sound with my CJ gear. Unfortunately I don't have the room needed if I did like them with my gear. I thought about just dragging them out occasionally to enjoy a pair but I don't even really have a place to stick them while not hooked up. The down side of collecting too many LP's, CD's and other stuff.

I know Naim's 60 wpc is laughably under rated but there's a lot of higher powered competition over $2k, those had better be some good sounding 60 watts.

Ajani
11-28-2008, 06:17 PM

cheers,
elapsed

I totally missed that the 1st time... any plans on getting a DAC for the Duet?

JohnMichael
11-28-2008, 07:14 PM

:incazzato:

Now I am wondering what a Naim Nait XS and a pair of Mobile Fidelity's Original Monitor Loudspeaker 1 might sound like.

elapsed
11-28-2008, 07:35 PM
I know Naim's 60 wpc is laughably under rated but there's a lot of higher powered competition over $2k, those had better be some good sounding 60 watts.
Oh quite easily so, my little Naim 150x poweramp is underrated at 50watts @ 8ohm, but if I recall has been tested 120 watts per channel @ 4ohm, and peaks at 500 watts driving a 1 ohm load. Quite a little amp, Naim watts are very deceiving! I recently auditioned the same Naim system as I presently have (Naim CD5x/FC2x/122x/150x) driving a gorgeous pair of Marten Bird loudspeakers ($30,000), I was blown away at what this amp is capable of.

I totally missed that the 1st time... any plans on getting a DAC for the Duet?
No plans for a DAC with the Duet, I don't use the Squeezebox for any critical listening. There's really no comparison with my Naim CD5x, I couldn't imagine even trying to bring the Squeezebox up to that level in my system.

In any event, I just sold my Squeezebox 3 this week to a friend as I no longer have any rack space, which is why I intend to purchase the Duet. Absolutely love the Squeezebox for what is already capable of delivering for the modest price.

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
11-28-2008, 07:49 PM
No plans for a DAC with the Duet, I don't use the Squeezebox for any critical listening. There's really no comparison with my Naim CD5x, I couldn't imagine even trying to bring the Squeezebox up to that level in my system.

In any event, I just sold my Squeezebox 3 this week to a friend as I no longer have any rack space, which is why I intend to purchase the Duet. Absolutely love the Squeezebox for what is already capable of delivering for the modest price.

cheers,
elapsed

The Squeezebox is an amazing product even without using an external DAC...

Speaking of DACs, I wonder if Naim will further break their exclusive trends and produce either a standalone DAC or a CD Player with digital inputs to accompany the NAIT XS...

Just Imagine how sweet a combo that could be.....

elapsed
11-28-2008, 08:08 PM
The Squeezebox is an amazing product even without using an external DAC...

Speaking of DACs, I wonder if Naim will further break their exclusive trends and produce either a standalone DAC or a CD Player with digital inputs to accompany the NAIT XS...

Just Imagine how sweet a combo that could be.....
Agreed that would be sweet! We have slowly seen Naim catching up to the times, by introducing RCA connections on the Nait, and a DAC on the SuperNait. But somehow I don't see Naim offering digital connectors on their products or an outboard DAC for some time to come. Naim likes to keep the DAC as close to the CD transport as possible, I believe this is to keep jitter to a mimimum.

The best CD player I've heard to date was a Naim CDS3 with an XPS2 power supply (roughly $15,000). I have yet to hear any CD player or outboard DAC that comes close to delivering the musicality that this player was capable of over analogue. But this comes at a cost of course! Even my modest CD5x (which in itself is an exorberant purchase) often blows me away at what it is capable of in the context of my system. In any event, I've yet to hear any system that gets my toes tapping like a Naim System, which all comes down to the music, not the speakers or gear (though I do admit its often a balance between hobby and music!).

cheers,
elapsed

audio amateur
11-29-2008, 07:24 AM
elapsed
I think you just completely and utterly insulted Ajani.:arf:
Very nice system you've got there by the way, i'm jealous.

elapsed
11-29-2008, 08:39 AM
lol not at all, I promise! I've got lots of respect for the SqueezeBox, its brilliant for the price, I know my system would be missing something without one. But keep in mind that the CD5x costs 10x the price, I would certainly hope it outperforms a streaming media player or DAC!

Now if only Naim would release a streaming media player which is capable of wireless and could stream FLAC, then we'd be talking. But for now all they have is the HDX for $8,000, which is hard drive based (can you imagine the hardware failures this guy will have in a few years?), not to mention no swing out drawer, just holds its own against the much cheaper CDX2 (not my favorite CD player in the world, needs an XPS2 power supply to really sing), and that the price is way out of anyone I know's ballpark.

Instead of a Naim DAC, let's see a Naim streaming music player in the 5-Series, for under $3,000 and they'd have a serious winner on their hands

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
11-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Instead of a Naim DAC, let's see a Naim streaming music player in the 5-Series, for under $3,000 and they'd have a serious winner on their hands

A Streaming music player should still have at least one or two digital inputs in order to be competitive...

Under $3K, they'd be competing directly with the Slim Devices Transporter & the yet to be released Ultra Link DAC/Wireless Bridge Combo from PS Audio.... But it would be a good market for them to enter... as more and more audiophiles are accepting that high-end sound can be obtained using a Music Server...

Ajani
11-29-2008, 10:49 AM

:lol: Not at all.... The fact that I bought a Benchmark DAC1 to bypass the DAC and Headphone Amp sections of the Squeezebox, shows that I know the sound can be bettered... It's a still a great product for the money... but it doesn't approach high end until you add a decent DAC....

If I was in Elapsed position (owning a $3K CD Player) I doubt anyone could convince me to ditch the CD Player for a Squeezebox/DAC combo (unless I was feeling severely burdened by the weight of all the money in my pocket)....

Ditto!!! There's just something extra special about the look (and sound) of an all Naim system...

elapsed
11-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Under $3K, they'd be competing directly with the Slim Devices Transporter & the yet to be released Ultra Link DAC/Wireless Bridge Combo from PS Audio.... But it would be a good market for them to enter... as more and more audiophiles are accepting that high-end sound can be obtained using a Music Server...
Actually I disagree... the difference being that Naim owners typically consider Naim to be a system, unlike the approach often taken in North America which is to mix and match components. The beauty of an all Naim system is system synergy and a common earth/ground (not to mention all the pace, rhythm and timing!)

What I'm saying is that most audiophiles wouldn't throw an expensive Naim streaming music server or DAC into their existing systems, the synergy just wouldn't be there. But existing Naim owners would purchase the product in huge numbers. Naim could release a $3,000 or $15,000 streaming music server and they would still have a specific niche market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio amateur

Ditto!!! There's just something extra special about the look (and sound) of an all Naim system...

Thanks guys! I saved for 3 years to build this system! I've been really fortunate, but worked my butt off with lots of extra hours to be able to swing it

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
11-29-2008, 12:31 PM
Actually I disagree... the difference being that Naim owners typically consider Naim to be a system, unlike the approach often taken in North America which is to mix and match components. The beauty of an all Naim system is system synergy and a common earth/ground (not to mention all the pace, rhythm and timing!)

What I'm saying is that most audiophiles wouldn't throw an expensive Naim streaming music server or DAC into their existing systems, the synergy just wouldn't be there. But existing Naim owners would purchase the product in huge numbers. Naim could release a $3,000 or $15,000 streaming music server and they would still have a specific niche market.

I agree that Naim will always have a market with existing Naim owners... However, I suspect that the reason Naim has become more flexible over the years (including rca connections and even a DAC on the Supernait) is to make their products more accessible to non Naim owners... So for example, someone like me who already has a Benchmark DAC1 and Squeezebox as source, might buy a Nait XS (since it has rca rather than just DIN)... and later decide to dump the DAC1/Squeezebox combo to get a Naim Music Streamer and DIN interconnects (for maximum system synergy)....

elapsed
11-29-2008, 01:26 PM
I agree that Naim will always have a market with existing Naim owners... However, I suspect that the reason Naim has become more flexible over the years (including rca connections and even a DAC on the Supernait) is to make their products more accessible to non Naim owners... So for example, someone like me who already has a Benchmark DAC1 and Squeezebox as source, might buy a Nait XS (since it has rca rather than just DIN)... and later decide to dump the DAC1/Squeezebox combo to get a Naim Music Streamer and DIN interconnects (for maximum system synergy)....
Very valid point! And the Totem Hawks you're looking at would be a great match. I've auditioned the Nait 5i with Neat Motive 2, Sonus Faber Concertino Domus, Naim n-Sat's, all well worth consideration as well.

Plus with the new Nait XS you'd have the ability to throw on a FlatCap-2x power supply at a later date, which would benefit both the pre as well as a Naim CD Player... Great upgrade path. But then you get hooked and end up purchasing a Hi-Line, a Power-Line, a new rack, upgrading to separates, it goes on and on.. The trick with Naim is never to audition unless you intend to purchase, as your ears will empty your wallet

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
11-29-2008, 01:54 PM
Very valid point! And the Totem Hawks you're looking at would be a great match. I've auditioned the Nait 5i with Neat Motive 2, Sonus Faber Concertino Domus, Naim n-Sat's, all well worth consideration as well.

Plus with the new Nait XS you'd have the ability to throw on a FlatCap-2x power supply at a later date, which would benefit both the pre as well as a Naim CD Player... Great upgrade path. But then you get hooked and end up purchasing a Hi-Line, a Power-Line, a new rack, upgrading to separates, it goes on and on.. The trick with Naim is never to audition unless you intend to purchase, as your ears will empty your wallet

cheers,
elapsed

:mad2: The last thing my wallet needs is for me to get hooked on Naim :mad2:

Ajani
11-30-2008, 02:10 PM

There is some stiff competition in that price range, including:

The new Krell Integrated 150 wattsx2
The Creek Destiny 100 wattsx2

& as a similar powered alternative:

Bryston B60R SST 60 wattsx2

If I had that kind of money to spend on an integrated, I'd be most interested in the Creek (supposedly balances the best sound qualities of tubes, solid state, analog and digital - according to reviews) & the Nait XS (Naim's reputation for PRAT is legendary)...

audio amateur
11-30-2008, 02:59 PM
:lol:

bobsticks
11-30-2008, 03:58 PM

Man, ain't that the truth...though that is a sexy, little streamlined lookin' thang.

...and I concur with AA, I've always liked the presentation and the very solidly-planned progression of your system, elapsed.

That's one reason I'd like to get my hands on a pair of Martin Logans to see how they sound with my CJ gear. Unfortunately I don't have the room needed if I did like them with my gear. I thought about just dragging them out occasionally to enjoy a pair but I don't even really have a place to stick them while not hooked up.

How doyaknow they'll be relegated to "secondary" status?

Peace, gents.

elapsed
11-30-2008, 04:26 PM
...and I concur with AA, I've always liked the presentation and the very solidly-planned progression of your system, elapsed.
Actually my system was anything but solidly-planned. I spent a year planning and saving before making my first purchase, thinking I had it all worked out. But in actuality I had plenty of missteps along the way, there sure are a lot of learning experiences in building an audio system!

My early system 2 years ago consisted of a Krell Integrated with a Naim CD5i. Sounded really awful as these are a bad pairing to begin with, but also the Krell didn't play well with my speakers

Over time I've had to switch out my integrated, speaker cabling, interconnects, rack, power strip, and sell my subwoofer, to finally build a system I'm happy with. I learned an awful lot about synergy along the way, which is one of the reasons I absolutely love a Naim system. When you get it right and all of the components play well together, it's no longer about the system and you can relax and enjoy the music

If I'd known this when I first started I would have probably purchased a Nait5i and CD5i and would have been happy without ever feeling the need to upgrade (and spend more than twice my budget in the process!) So my advise is if you are considering a Nait XS, whatever you do make sure you don't ask to hear a 282/250/Hi-Cap system, avoid the Naim forums at all cost, trust that Naim interconnects and speaker cabling offer the best synergy, and budget for a FlatCap-2x power supply and Hi-Line interconnect as they're both well worth the upgrade cost.

cheers,
elapsed

Mr Peabody
11-30-2008, 07:22 PM
The reason any ML's would be 2nd is room and the fact that my HT and stereo rigs are in the same room and share my main speakers. I need a winfall of cash to come my way so I can buy a house that would allow me to separate these systems into their own room.

audio amateur
12-01-2008, 02:06 AM
How doyaknow they'll be relegated to "secondary" status?

Peace, gents.
It's a matter of honor:smilewinkgrin:

elapsed
12-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Nait XS hit the shelves yesterday, have to wait and see some early reviews of her over on the Naim forums (esp. vs Nait 5i-2, 122/150 and SuperNait), once she's been warmed up and broken in

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
12-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Nait XS hit the shelves yesterday, have to wait and see some early reviews of her over on the Naim forums (esp. vs Nait 5i-2, 122/150 and SuperNait), once she's been warmed up and broken in

cheers,
elapsed

Should be interesting to see how it stacks up against the 5i-2 - Is it worth the extra cost on sound quality alone (the upgraded features certainly are nice)?

Also versus the 122/150 - Might it be better than the more expensive pre/power combo? It does have an extra 10 watts over the combo... and like the combo it can be upgraded....

Supernait should hopefully sound quite a bit better, given the doubling of price (though we should figure the cost of the internal DAC into the price equation)... but it would still be interesting to see how close the XS gets....

Ajani
01-13-2009, 07:11 AM
The first reviews are in for the new NAIM:

5 Globes from Hi-World

&

5 Stars from What HiFi?

http://whathifi.com/Review/Naim-Nait-XS/

And based on the reviews it is supposed to be a substantial improvement over the highly regarded NAIT 5i-2 & is good enough to challenge the Supernait (as long as you are willing to do without the headphone amp, DAC and extra 20 watts of power)...

Ajani
01-26-2009, 10:53 AM
Yet another 5 star review for the new NAIT, this time from HiFi Choice:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/amplifiers/naim-audio-nait-xs-498536/review?artc_pg=1

I'm dying to see some North American reviews of this amp....

elapsed
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
I auditioned the Nait XS last week with my speakers, was really impressed! But didn't have an opportunity to audition against a Nait 5i-2 or SuperNait. I've never been a fan of the SuperNait though, but if I were to purchase my system again I would give high consideration to the XS over my 122/150 separates, and spent the difference on a Hi-Line interconnect.

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
01-26-2009, 11:44 AM
I auditioned the Nait XS last week with my speakers, was really impressed! But didn't have an opportunity to audition against a Nait 5i-2 or SuperNait. I've never been a fan of the SuperNait though, but if I were to purchase my system again I would give high consideration to the XS over my 122/150 separates, and spent the difference on a Hi-Line interconnect.

cheers,
elapsed

Thanks for the info.... It's good to a get an idea of how well the XS compares to the 122/150 combo.

Quick question: have you listened to a Naim(electronics)/Rega(speakers) combo and what did you think of it? I see Rega has out a new RS range, that should compliment the Nait 5i-2 or XS well (in theory)...

elapsed
01-26-2009, 11:51 AM
I haven't auditioned Naim/Rega for myself, but I do know a few people who swear by Rega Kyte, you can often find these on Audiogon or eBay for under $150.

Best match for Naim separates are... Naim speakers! And of course the usual suspects.. Neat, Rega, Epos, Linn, Sonus Faber, Totem, Royd, Spendor, Shahinian

You may want to consider a Nait 5i with Neat Motive 2's, great combination!

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
01-26-2009, 04:06 PM
Best match for Naim separates are... Naim speakers! And of course the usual suspects.. Neat, Rega, Epos, Linn, Sonus Faber, Totem, Royd, Spendor, Shahinian

This is the prob I have... I would love to try Naim, but I'd probably have to buy without auditioning and the only recommended speaker I've heard on your Naim list is Totem... :mad2:

So when the time comes to buy, I'll have to either play it safe and get Monitor Audio and a non-Naim amp or risk Naim and Rega or Epos (without having auditioned any of them)...

Auricauricle
01-26-2009, 04:19 PM
That shore is purty!

Mr. P, if you wanna go the Stax route, yer gonna feel it! D'ya recall their electrostatic loudspeaker? Sorta looked like Apogee, if'n I recall right....

elapsed
02-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Here ya go Ajani, just announced.. the NaimUniti: http://www.naim-audio.com/products/uniti.html

Just so long as it is better than the ill-conceived Naim n-Vi

Btw, exciting news, my Naim Hi-Line interconnect will be arriving next week!

cheers,
elapsed

Ajani
02-19-2009, 05:58 AM
Here ya go Ajani, just announced.. the NaimUniti: http://www.naim-audio.com/products/uniti.html

Just so long as it is better than the ill-conceived Naim n-Vi

Btw, exciting news, my Naim Hi-Line interconnect will be arriving next week!

cheers,
elapsed

Damnit!!! I just went to this site to start a thread about the Uniti and you beat me to it!!!! :mad2:

EDIT: Started a thread anyway:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=29692