Antenna [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Antenna

rayh78
11-27-2008, 07:37 AM
About 6 years ago spent over $1500.00 for receiver, 50+ CD player and surround speakers.
Past 5 years I hardly ever use it. Last time even tried a CD it seemed to skip a lot. But maybe just need to take out all of the CDs and clean.
But my main question is about the radio signals. At the time this Yamaha HTR-5560 was sort of expensive.
But seemed to work like just about any indoor stereo I ever had. Can not pickup even have the stations I can pickup in my car even with it parked in the garage. In the past tried a few indoor antennas of different types but always disappointed.
Can someone recommend a small antenna that I could even mount inside my garage and run the wire under the crawlspace to stereo. And would this pickup as good as a car would in the same garage.
Why do cheaper car steros pickup better than home equipment.

blackraven
11-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Most home tuners in receivers are an after thought as opposed to cars where most people use the radio most of the time so the manufacturers put in good tuners in the car stereo's. I find that many after market car stereo's do not have as good radio reception as factory radio's. My wife's car needed a new radio and we went through several nice stereo's and finally settled on a cheaper pioneer with a super tuner which got the best AM/FM reception.

If you want better reception, buy a dedicated tuner or hook up an outdoor antenna.

hydroman
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
I have had great success with 7' passive half wave antenna. It looks for all the world like a cat scratching post. It pulls stations well with none of the noise from an amplified antenna.

But really - with digital cable I use the music channels ;)

O'Shag
12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
From what I can gather, an outdoor antenna is an order of magnitude better than any indoor antenna. I am having some success with my indoor antenna (a day-sequerra model) and some stations, especially those improtant to me are pretty much noise free. I plan to get a smaller outdoor antenna to see if that will make a big improvement.

Hydroman, do you not find the digital audio on your cable to be somewaht compressed and harsh sounding?

Auricauricle
12-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Terk makes pretty respectable antennae. I'm sure there wouldn't be much problem running the wire wherever you liked.....I've had good results with one and an older Sansui tuner.

hydroman
12-08-2008, 01:01 PM
Not enough to stop listening...

Hydroman, do you not find the digital audio on your cable to be somewaht compressed and harsh sounding?

Hyfi
12-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Terk indoor outdoor appears best for radio, any roof antenna uhf/vhf/fm will also work.