Now considering Rotel receiver over the Onkyo..help please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Now considering Rotel receiver over the Onkyo..help please!

crash32
11-26-2008, 10:27 AM
I had my mind set on the Onkyo 805 since I had heard so many good things about it and it has decent power. I plan on getting the B&W 683's to go with it.

After doing much more research I am finding that the Rotel is a great combo with the B&W speakers. I am looking to spend around $600 and am seeing that I could get a used Rotel for around that much money.

Is the Rotel worth paying a bit more for and having to buy it used .... or would I be better off buying a brand new Onkyo 805???

What do you guys think? I will be using it for about 50% music and 50% theatre.

Thanks in advance

blackraven
11-26-2008, 10:46 AM
The rotel is better but I'm always leery about buying used unless its from a dealer with a guaranty. The 805 is a fine receiver and will be great for HT. I really dont think you will be able to hear much. difference between the 2 amps. Also, what model Rotel and how old is it. The Onkyo will probably have more of the latest HT features and at 130wpc will have no problem with the 683's.

Jack in Wilmington
11-26-2008, 10:59 AM
Since you are planning to use this system equally for music and home theater, I would go for the 805. It will handle all the latest formats like Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio. That way when you are ready to add additional speakers to go with the 683's, your 805 will be ready. I own both Onkyo and Rotel equipment and they are both excellent companies that make outstanding gear.

BadAssJazz
11-26-2008, 01:54 PM
I faced a similar dilemma before I went with the 805. If Rotel had then released a receiver with HDMI connectivity and True and Master HD at < $800, I would have jumped all over it. But I passed on the previous RSX's.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the current owners of the older Rotel receivers are selling now in hopes of upgrading to the newer formats. More will be on the market once the Rotel RSX 1550 & 1560 drop. (Not sure what the price will be for these two gems, but my guess is that they won't come cheaply.)

You won't regret getting the Onkyo.

**************This Just In*****************

Just wanted to follow up with the news that the Rotel RSX 1550 and 1560 are currently available for sale.

If you happen to live in Northern CA, a quaint AV store called Harmony Audio & Video in San Francisco has both pieces set up for audition. The Rotel RSX-1560 is $2599 and on tap in studio #1. The Rotel RSX-1550 is $1999 and stationed in studio #2. Worth checking out.

crash32
11-26-2008, 06:44 PM
I'm actually in NC. Thanks for the input. It seems as if a lot of you guys are very happy with the Onkyo 805. I have asked before, but the only place that I have really found the Onkyo on the internet is Amazon... can anyone tell me where I can find them or PM me if you want to keep it a secrect!

BadAssJazz
11-26-2008, 07:15 PM
I'm actually in NC. Thanks for the input. It seems as if a lot of you guys are very happy with the Onkyo 805. I have asked before, but the only place that I have really found the Onkyo on the internet is Amazon... can anyone tell me where I can find them or PM me if you want to keep it a secrect!

The 805's were replaced by the 806, so I'm not surprised that it's a tough find. A quick view of pricegrabber.com tells me that only Amazon has the 805.

Even the 806 is a tough find. They are in stock at One Call and Vanns for $649:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=92049

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/538999972/onkyo-tx-sr806?s_c=site_search

Finally, if refurb units don't scare you, you can always try the Shop Onkyo site for a renewed to specs 805 selling for about $500:

http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1&subcat=Receiver

voxstr
01-08-2009, 06:49 PM
I bought an onkyo don't remember the model but after two weeks returned it for a rotel 1065 best choice I ever made, I will be upgrading to the new 1560 soon can't wait if you can find a good used rotel from a reputable dealer you'll love it, oh and don't worry the processing is so good i hear almost no difference between regular DD and D true hd. But thats only my opinion, you know your budget and you know what sounds good to you.

blackraven
01-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Get the Onkyo 806 and don't look back!

kexodusc
01-09-2009, 05:30 AM
I like the Onkyo here...Side by side, the Rotel sounds a lot better - they make a great sounding reciever, 2nd only to Arcam IMO below $4000 in terms of sound quality.
But feature wise the Onkyo is better. You can split the difference for 2-ch stereo, buy a quality power amp if you find the Onkyo lacking, and still come in cheaper.