RIP Kenny MacLean [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Kenny MacLean

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2008, 10:05 AM
I was never a huge fan of this band, but they were all over the Canadian airwaves in the 80's.

Platinum Blonde bassist found dead: news report

Mon Nov 24, 11:39 PM
By The Canadian Press

TORONTO - Bass player Kenny MacLean, who was a member of the '80s Canadian band Platinum Blonde, has died, several news outlets reported Monday.

MacLean attended a CD release party at the Mod Club on Friday night to celebrate the upcoming release of his long awaited third solo album "Completely."

His sister discovered him dead on Monday, reports said.

Police said the veteran musician was discovered collapsed and unresponsive at his downtown apartment.

MacLean's apartment was in a building that also housed his company - hMh Music - that sought to help develop budding artists.

The company's website says hMh offers instruction from the ground up, through the practical and theory of music as well as image consulting.

The Scottish musician joined Platinum Blonde for their second album, 1985's "Alien Shores," freeing singer/bassist Mark Holmes to focus on lead vocals.

"Alien Shores" contained one of the band's biggest Canadian hits - "Crying Over You" - and their only U.S. hit, "Somebody Somewhere."

He was also a songwriter having won a SOCAN Award for "Don't Look Back".

He also strayed from his rock roots to play with the Edmonton Symphony and Orchestra London.

Platinum Blonde was one the biggest Canadian bands of the 1980s.

Their 1987 album "Contact" went platinum while"Alien Shores" went quadruple platinum.

Hyfi
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Never heard of him so I guess I won't miss him all that much. What did he die of, overdose of popularity?

Swish
11-25-2008, 03:46 PM
What did he die of, overdose of popularity?

Probably colder than his body when they found him.

ForeverAutumn
11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Never heard of him so I guess I won't miss him all that much. What did he die of, overdose of popularity?

Yup. Just like all the music you post about, eh?

kexodusc
11-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Well, at the risk of being uncool with the comics here, I can say I met guy a few times, as he did play a bit at a few local music festivals I volunteer for. He's was a rather quiet, humble individual, and it kinda sucks he's gone so young.

Heart problems, not drug O/D if people are wondering.

What's next? Some good rape jokes?

Hyfi
11-26-2008, 04:57 AM
Yup. Just like all the music you post about, eh?

I deserved that.

timrs2001
11-26-2008, 06:49 AM
I deserved that.

You did deserve that. And more.
Just because these pimply faced young twerps are too young to remember the "glory days" of some musicians is no reason to disrespect their good work.
Why don't you do a quick Wikipedia search or go to Youtube and search "Kenny MacLean" before you say something so hurtful.

Hyfi
11-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Just because these pimply faced young twerps are too young to remember the "glory days" of some musicians is no reason to disrespect their good work.
Why don't you do a quick Wikipedia search or go to Youtube and search "Kenny MacLean" before you say something so hurtful.

I did look him up. It was a lame reply and I already acknowledged it. It was not supposed to be a slam on anyone or their musical tastes.

I'm not sure by your post if you are calling me a "pimply faced twerp" or not. You may have me mistaken with someone who is not in their late 40s. Even though I am old, I don't know, like, or follow every musician and band.

By the way, I see your reply was your first post here. Welcome and have fun and don't get too broke up over a lousy attempt at a comedic response to someone who actually got it.

ForeverAutumn
11-26-2008, 10:23 AM

Hi timrs2001. Welcome to AR.

Thanks for your post. Please don't take Hyfi's comment to heart. He's really a good guy who I know would never intentionally hurt anyone. I didn't take his comment seriously and I hope that you don't either. I'm just sorry that it took something that you found hurtful to get you to register and post here. I hope that you stick around. Cheers!

Swish
11-26-2008, 12:24 PM

...'elder statesmen' I believe. I'm not as old as Davey, but not too far behind. As for what FA said, don't take this thread too seriously because we're generally not quite so irreverent. Generally.

Swish - older than Moses's toes and twice as corny