White Stripes LP Elephant [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : White Stripes LP Elephant

Audio Girl
03-13-2004, 10:21 PM
The Lp version is significantly inferior to my CD version but I may be having some issues with either my cartridge or table.

Is the LP inferior to the Cd version? Please advise.

Ag

hifitommy
03-14-2004, 07:12 AM
has been revered elsewhere, i have it, but not the cd. you dont list your system in your profile so its hard to imagine.

i tend to find the LP version to sound better than that of the same recrding on cd. this isnt always the case but the usual.

nobody
03-15-2004, 10:11 AM
I've got both the CD and LP of this one, and they're about a toss up for me, despite the fact that I'm usually a vinyl person. The CD is more dynamic, but the LP seems a bit more detailed to me. I can hear some tape hiss on the LP.

I have the vinyl where one record if red and the other white. I've seen people mention a black vinyl version that is supposedly superior, but I've never heard or seen it.

The CD version is really one of the best sounding commercial rock CDs I've got in my estimation. I'd consider the vinyl good, but nothing spectacular compared to the rest of my vinyl. Of course, this is all just casual memory. Some time I should sit down and compare them both head on.

What kind of differences are you noticing?

hifitommy
03-15-2004, 08:13 PM
i cant speak to differences. i like what i have, i am not interested in dumping money owning more of the same music on the other formats. i AM interested in the diffs however. i did all the comparisons i needed for cd/vinyl and wish i could justify the expenditure of the same for vinyl/cd/sacd/dvda.

some of these things i'll have to take other's word for it. conjecture exists that LP is superior to sacd, cd superior or equal to sacd and vinyl, etc (BS!). i am trying to up my pure dsd inventory but that isnt cheeeeep and some of the reissues are hard to resist.

as time wears on, enough pure dsd will be on the market to make a sane judgment of that. if only my cd and sacd hardware were of the pedigree of my best vinyl rig. that said, sacd hits a high mark as does vinyl (even on my lesser rig) and even cd which sounds better on the sacdp than any cdp ive had in the house.

its an interesting time as john c. aussie says on AA.

Audio Girl
03-15-2004, 08:37 PM
I know many think I am crazy when I duplicate a CD with an LP purchase or vice versa (X-Lion Tamer and I have had this very discussion) but if the release is good, sometimes I want it on both formats for reasons that I will spare you all with. I tend to purchase both formats ONLY on the releases I absolutely adore. Kinda strong words there for music, eh?

Specifically with the WS LP: Jack's voice seems to be at the back of the soundstage on the LP vs. compared to being in front on the Cd. The CD sound quality is FABULOUS

By the way, I am one of those odd creatures that purchases the same release on LP (LP
only) when I find old releases that are meticulous.

Ag

Audio Girl
03-15-2004, 09:07 PM
my LP and CD equipment are equivalent in playback capabilities. Possibly slanted towards the LP side of the equation, now that I've added a Linn Ittok LV II tonearm to my recently purchased Linn Sondek LP 12. CD player is Ayre CX-7.

I know many think I am crazy when I duplicate a CD with an LP purchase or vice versa (X-Lion Tamer and I have had this very discussion) but if the release is good, sometimes I want it on both formats for reasons that I will spare you all with. I tend to purchase both formats ONLY on the releases I absolutely adore. Kinda strong words there for music, eh?

Specifically with the WS LP: Jack's voice seems to be at the back of the soundstage on the LP vs. compared to being in front on the Cd. The CD sound quality is FABULOUS

By the way, I am one of those odd creatures that purchases the same release on LP (LP
only) when I find old releases that are meticulous.

Ag