What is the best way to do this..... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to do this.....

crash32
11-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Christmas is coming and I am going to get started on my stereo system. I have nothing now so for christmas the plan is to get a receiver. Probably the Onkyo 805.

By Feburary, my house should be built by then and I was hoping to simply audition speakers in my house to see which ones I like the best. Right now I am leaning towards the B&W 683's from what I have heard at the stores.

Is this a good idea? I hate buying the receiver and speakers at different times, but budget wise...this is the best thing for me to do. Does the Onkyo sound good with a wide variety of speakers just in case I decide not to go with the B&W's. Is the Onkyo even a good match for the B&W's I plan to purchase?

My concern is that I will buy the Onkyo 805 and then 2 months later... fall in love with something other than the B&W's and then by that time it is too late to return my receiver.

Let me know if you guys think this is the best way for me to approach things or if you have better suggestions!

Thanks!

markw
11-25-2008, 10:38 AM
If you have to buy at separate times, buy the speakers first.

Electronics just keeps getting cheaper and more feature-laden as time goes by and the trickle-down theory operates. Speakers, not quite so.

Personally, why not just wait on both and go for 'em both at the same time. Stick the $$$ in a short-term CD and make a few pennies while you wait.

But, that's just one opinion.

kexodusc
11-25-2008, 10:52 AM
If you have to buy at separate times, buy the speakers first.

Electronics just keeps getting cheaper and more feature-laden as time goes by and the trickle-down theory operates. Speakers, not quite so.

Personally, why not just wait on both and go for 'em both at the same time. Stick the $$$ in a short-term CD and make a few pennies while you wait.

But, that's just one opinion.
markw is right. Every year the receiver manufacturers come out with new models with newer features or slightly better something or other...and the previous year's models go on sale at bargain prices. Wait it out and snarf up one of them obsolete 2008 models!

Speaker improvements from year to year are minimal if there's any at all. Usually a speaker model is no the market for a few years before even the smallers revision. And revisions are more along the lines of tweaking than adding substantial improvements.

RoadRunner6
11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
If you are going to buy the Onkyo 8xx series, get the 805 instead of the newer 806. Onkyo has apparently skimped on the amp in the new 806. The weight of the new 806 receiver is down about 6 lbs. Read a review on both:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/processor-and-receiver-reviews/ssps/onkyo-tx-sr806-thx-ultra2-plus-7.1-av-receiver.html

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_14_3/onkyo-tx-sr805-receiver-9-2006-part-1.html

Next's years model is not always an improvement when the manufacturerer decides to increase the bottom line.

RR6

PS: I mention this because the 805 is obviuosly a closeout item and won't be around forever.

babyybluee
11-25-2008, 03:50 PM
getting hi quality speakers first is your best bet

blackraven
11-25-2008, 03:52 PM
If you go with the Onkyo amp you will be ok with just about any speaker you buy in that price range. The 805-806 has plenty of power (130wpc) to drive most speakers. And if you really like the B&W 683's then stop looking at speakers and driving yourself crazy.

crash32
11-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Haha I'm pretty sure that I will get the B&W's but cannot say for sure yet until I actually listen to it in my actual house and am blown away!!

The thing is..... the Onkyo 805 are already at a great price. I can get it for $600 and I think that is a great bargain for the type of receiver it is. I am afraid that in 3 months..... it will be more difficult to find the Onkyo 805's. Maybe I'm totally 100% wrong!!!

blackraven
11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Your right about the 805. If thats what you want go for it. The B&W speakers arent going any where. In the price range of receivers that your looking at there will not be much difference in sound among different brands, but different speakers will make a big difference in sound.

RoadRunner6
11-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Three months? More like three weeks? I only see about 2 dealers that even still have it. The 806 is down to $649, but if you want the 805 I would jump on it.

RR6

crash32
11-26-2008, 10:04 AM
Where is the best place to buy Onkyo receivers... so far I have found Amazon...nothing else really.

Please let me know!

Thanks

RoadRunner6
11-26-2008, 09:50 PM
I usually go to comparison shopping sites like Price Grabber. You will see that Amazon is about the only one left who has the 805 left in black. That means that it is almost sold out. I would buy it fast!

For current models that are in stock, there are lots of good online retailers. Try to use ones that have 4-5 star ratings only with a least 100 ratings. Some of the better dealers are Vann's, B&H, J&R, NewEgg, 6th Ave, Abt, Amazon, Etronics, One Call, Crutchfield just to mention few. Be sure to always use a credit card only (no debit cards, checks or money orders). Always designate that you want a brand new factory sealed unit unless you are specifically buying a refurbished unit.

Accessories4less has refurbished and new units. They currently have the new 805 in silver for $550.

You can also check here for dealer ratings.

http://www.resellerratings.com/reseller_list.pl?browse=b&page=11#reviews

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?encquery=978e741dd22ae3e95a1fcff6918b440b69 a3a982b28a120fbef200c68a3101e8&invocationType=keyword_rollover&ie=UTF-8

RR6