Best Cartridge for $60 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Best Cartridge for $60

fleecaf
11-25-2008, 07:55 AM
OK, so not the largest budget ever, but I'd be interested to hear your recommendations. I'll be pairing it with a Systemdek IIX with a Linn Basik LVX arm..(Would just be nice to get something respectable out of the TT whilst I'm saving the pennies :) ))

Thanking you in advance,

Chris.

BRANDONH
11-25-2008, 08:19 AM
OK, so not the largest budget ever, but I'd be interested to hear your recommendations. I'll be pairing it with a Systemdek IIX with a Linn Basik LVX arm..(Would just be nice to get something respectable out of the TT whilst I'm saving the pennies :) ))

Thanking you in advance,

Chris.

60.00 wont get you into audiophile range but here is one that is 60.00 free shipping.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=GRADBLKSTD

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/GradoBGmd.jpg

dean_martin
11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I agree with the Grado BUT don't pull the trigger on the Black just yet. $60.00 is its regular price. I got a Red for half price ($55 + shipping) from www.audiowaveshifi.com because they're making room for Grado's new line. That was in August. Their half-price sale on Prestige line (black, green, red, gold, etc.) was limited to stock on hand.

02audionoob
11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
For $60 or less, I would recommend the Shure M97XE. It was about that at Buy.com, last time I looked. For cartridges that list this low, consider the AudioTechnica AT95E.

fleecaf
11-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all your responses. I've managed to find a store that will let me take in my deck and allow me to audition all of the above carts :) I'll get back to you and let you know my final choice/opinions!

jrhymeammo
11-26-2008, 02:50 PM
I wouldnt go with a Grado with your tonearm. Grado's compliance is 20 and may cause some problems with your medium to high mass tonearm. Go for a cartridge with lower compliance.

Check this site for a compliance calculator.
http://82.95.237.142/mhsoft/MySystem/rf.html

Add your tonearm mass + headshell weight + cartridge weight
Input 10 hzs for resonance frequency

That should tell you desirable cartridge compliance you should look for in your cartridge selection.

Numbers from calculation doesnt tell you about sound quality, but it's a good idea to keep resonance frequency around 8 to 12.

Regards,
JRA

winston
11-27-2008, 10:40 AM
HI JRA happy TG. thank for your help last time on my ATH-AD 700. need some help on buying a budget cartidge for my kenwood TT KD-770D quartz pll direct drive streight tone arm, had it from 1985 used it for about two years got hooked on cd's. i put it inside a pillow case and back in the box. my kids went to jamaica at our home over there and surprise me with some of my old lp's they braught back Herbie Mann Memphis Underground, Bob James TouchDown they know (battle hymn of the republic) by Herbie Mann was my fav. back then any recommendations thx. and rgs.winston

fleecaf
11-28-2008, 03:43 AM
I've tried the four Carts we've discussed above, and I've decided to plump for the AT95E. I know you may say I've gone with my pocket on this, but to me this cart had the punchiest response in the bass/mids...OK it might not quite have it on the top end, where the Grado/Goldring seemed to just pip it, but for a more muscular sound, better suited to my tastes ( Floyd and Nirvana to name a couple), the AT has it for me. It also seems physically more sturdy, so for a ham-fisted goon such as myself, will maybe take a little more abuse ;)

The cart also seems to suit my system better as it tends to err on the bright side of things (Arcam Alpha 7 amp/ Kef Coda 7 Speakers)

Oh, almost forgot the Shure, sounded very similar to the AT to me, so in that respect, and with my ultimate choice, the purse strings maybe had a little bearing on the outcome :)

Cheers,

Chris.

BRANDONH
11-28-2008, 05:00 AM
I've tried the four Carts we've discussed above, and I've decided to plump for the AT95E. I know you may say I've gone with my pocket on this, but to me this cart had the punchiest response in the bass/mids...OK it might not quite have it on the top end, where the Grado/Goldring seemed to just pip it, but for a more muscular sound, better suited to my tastes ( Floyd and Nirvana to name a couple), the AT has it for me. It also seems physically more sturdy, so for a ham-fisted goon such as myself, will maybe take a little more abuse ;)

The cart also seems to suit my system better as it tends to err on the bright side of things (Arcam Alpha 7 amp/ Kef Coda 7 Speakers)

Oh, almost forgot the Shure, sounded very similar to the AT to me, so in that respect, and with my ultimate choice, the purse strings maybe had a little bearing on the outcome :)

Cheers,

Chris.

Very good and enjoy the vinyl.
its cool you could audition the Carts each have their own sound
The most important is the sound on your system.
Good work.