Wiring Question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Question

fleecaf
11-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Almost feel ashamed to ask this but I can't seem to find answers elsewhere. Please try to keep your laughter to a minimum:( :o

How do I go about wiring a single speaker to a stereo amp to get a mono mix? Don't want to see any blue smoke today if at all possible hehe.....

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

bubslewis
11-23-2008, 06:37 AM
Don't know what you mean by mono "mix".

Run speaker wire from positive left and right on the amplifier to positive terminal on the speaker. Do the same for negative left and right to the negative terminal of speaker. You will have two wires going to each speaker terminal.

Or, splice positive left and right from the amp and connect to positive speaker terminal. Do same for negative, You will have one wire going to each speaker terminal, with splices wherever you want to hide them.

markw
11-23-2008, 07:24 AM
You can't. connecting both channels together brings a good risk of neither channel working, at least without repairs.

Connect the speaker to one channel and be happy.

E-Stat
11-23-2008, 10:24 AM
How do I go about wiring a single speaker to a stereo amp to get a mono mix? Don't want to see any blue smoke today if at all possible hehe...
While Mark is correct, there are a couple of outside possibilities:

1. Your amp is bridgeable. That means there is a way to switch the amp's configuration to use both sides of it with a single output. Such would be evident in the manual or by looking at a switch on the amp.

2. Your speaker is bi-ampable. In which case you would split the signal and send the same input to each channel of the amp. One channel output would be connected to the woofer's connectors and the other to the upper driver(s) connector.

rw

fleecaf
11-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks all...Managed to get a plug-in for winamp that allows for mono out, so I'm just running the speaker using the left channel of the amp...The beatles sound fine through it, so it must be working ;)