Pro-Ject Experience 2 TT [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Ject Experience 2 TT

blackraven
11-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a mint condition used Pro-Ject Experience 2 turntable with a Linn Adikit Cartridge and a Pro-Ject Speed Box SE speed controller for $950 from a local dealer.

Do you think that this is a good buy?

And how would you rate this TT and Cartridge. I think the cartridge new sells for $350.

Thanks!

JohnMichael
11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I have the opportunity to buy a mint condition used Pro-Ject Experience 2 turntable with a Linn Adikit Cartridge and a Pro-Ject Speed Box SE speed controller for $950 from a local dealer.

Do you think that this is a good buy?

And how would you rate this TT and Cartridge. I think the cartridge new sells for $350.

Thanks!

Depends, how much are you saving over new products? Has the dealer inspected the stylus? Linn's moving magnet cartridges used to be sourced from Audio Technica. I am not sure if they are still the source. How does the table sound?

blackraven
11-20-2008, 04:47 PM
I havent listened to it yet. I was at the store returning the Marantz SA8003 that they loaned me. The table and cartridge have been inspected and calibrated by an audio engineer. I wanted to find out more about the table before I wasted time listening to it. I've been looking at the Pro-Ject 5.1SE and Music Hall MMF7SE.

I know the Linn cartridge is entry level and I would eventually replace it with something in the $500-700 range. I would need a phono preamp and was considering the Pro-ject phono box II.

02audionoob
11-20-2008, 05:12 PM
Just a sort of general impression...Seems like the Phono Box II isn't up to the standard of your turntable choices. What are your thoughts on that?

JohnMichael
11-20-2008, 05:45 PM
I havent listened to it yet. I was at the store returning the Marantz SA8003 that they loaned me. The table and cartridge have been inspected and calibrated by an audio engineer. I wanted to find out more about the table before I wasted time listening to it. I've been looking at the Pro-Ject 5.1SE and Music Hall MMF7SE.

I know the Linn cartridge is entry level and I would eventually replace it with something in the $500-700 range. I would need a phono preamp and was considering the Pro-ject phono box II.

I did not mean to disparage the cartridge because Linn improves on the stock cartridge. If the table has been checked out and they give you a brief warranty I think you would enjoy it.

I have read a great review lately on the Phono Box SE which is a step up from the Phono Box. You might want to consider the Cambridge Audio 640P which I have been happy with for not much money. The CA can be had for $169 from AudioAdvisor. In the same review the CA 640P was considered as good as the more expensive Phono Box SE.

blackraven
11-20-2008, 07:06 PM
Oops, I meant to say the Pro-ject tube box IISE.
And JM, I didnt feel you were dissing the cartridge. It has good reviews but it is what it is, a $350 cartridge. I think that overall its a good deal. The speed box is supposed to get the most out of the TT.

JohnMichael
11-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Oops, I meant to say the Pro-ject tube box IISE.
And JM, I didnt feel you were dissing the cartridge. It has good reviews but it is what it is, a $350 cartridge. I think that overall its a good deal. The speed box is supposed to get the most out of the TT.

Yes the Tube Box II SE is a step above the entry level. I have read good things about it. I think you will be pleased.