Moving a rear projection TV [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Moving a rear projection TV

marcike
11-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I am moving an older Sony 53" rear projection TV and was planning on just using my van to transport it. The only problem is because of its height (57" tall) the only way it will fit in the van is if I place it face down.

This is a model year 2000 Sony rear projection TV so it is very heavy but most of the weight is in the bottom. Does anyone see any problems with laying this TV screen side down? I was planning on putting plenty of padding under it so it would not scratch the screen. I just did not know if I would be harming any of the internal componets. Thanks.

02audionoob
11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Seems like it might be worth a call to a technician. I've read that they can be turned sideways without harm, but that it might throw off the convergence. Convergence is adjustable, so that might be a non-issue. Why do you propose to go screen-down instead of screen-up?

marcike
11-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Because of its shape in the back it will not lay flat on its back. My other option is to stand it up upright. However in that case I would need a pick up truck which concerns me that it could blow over because it is almost 5 feet tall.

That's a good idea I think I will contact someone who works on these TV's and get their opinion. Thanks for you help.