Denon 2308CI vs. 2808CI [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon 2308CI vs. 2808CI

bryanalban
11-19-2008, 11:47 AM
I'm trying to decide between the Denon 2308CI and the 2808CI. If money was no object I would get the 2808. But right now the 2308 are around $450 and the 2808 is around $699, and $450 fits into my budget much better.

What I'm trying to figure out is the 2808 worth the extra $250.

I have HD cable coming in via HDMI, a DVD via component, a CD player and a phono.

A couple questions:

Will the 2808 sound better, especially on acoustic (jazz & classical) music?

The 2808 says it has Burr-Brown convertors, will this make a difference for me?

Will the 10 watts difference make a noticeable difference?

The 2808 has DTS Master Audio, what is this, and will I really miss it?

I think those are the main differences. Does anyone know if one or the other has a better remote (or are they the same). I've read some people say they don't like the remote on the 2308, but no one has said anything about not liking the remote on the 2808.

Thanks so much for all the help, I want to order this puppy by the end of the week, and have it setup for when the family comes over for Turkey Day.

Rich-n-Texas
11-19-2008, 12:06 PM
Hello bryanalban.

I'd like to first answer your question with a question of my own...
Is your mind made up on one of these two receivers? Denon no doubt builds high quality gear, but other less expensive receivers like Yamaha's and Onkyo's are high quality units as well.

bryanalban
11-19-2008, 12:16 PM
I have settled on the Denon's.
I demoed them against the Yamaha's, and for music, I liked the sound of the Denon's better.
I don't really trust the Onkyo's, I know a lot of people are happy with theirs, but I have two friends who have had problems.
So I think I have settled on one of the Denon models.

Rich-n-Texas
11-19-2008, 12:33 PM
Okay. I've never demo'ed or owned either model, so I can't really comment on their sound quality differences but I suspect at least one of the differences has to do with power. Inefficient speakers will benefit from the higher current output, but more efficient speakers... not so much. We don't know what speakers you're trying to drive, so answering your question about sound quality between the two will be difficult. And remember, quality is in the ear of the beholder.

While Burr - Brown no longer exists as a company (acquired by Texas Instruments in 2000) it's technology has stood the test of time. You're getting high quality components when your receiver includes them in it's specs.

DTS - Master Audio is a lossless audio format. I don't see anything in your equipment list that would utilize this format so I'd say no, you wouldn't miss it, until you upgrade to a Blu-ray player.

I've heard stories as well about Denon remotes, but it sounds like it's just something you have to get used to... or buy a universal remote and put the Denon remote in the closet.

Does that help you any?

bryanalban
11-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Thanks, it does help.

I am planning on getting either NHT or Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers.

bryanalban
11-20-2008, 10:32 AM
OK, I was about to order the 2308CI (just because of the budget), and a few last question.

Am I correct in thinking if I have to "down-grade" I should do it on the receiver and not the speakers?

The speakers I have chosen are the NHT Classic Two's. I noticed:

Sensitivity: 86dB (2.83v@1m)
Impedance: 6 ohms nominal

I'm new to the electronics thing, should I be worried about this. In another thread, someone said something about the sensitivity needing to be at least 90 if you don't want to also get an amp.

Thanks