Speaker advice for a Noob [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker advice for a Noob

cmatthews
11-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post, however, have been lurking in the shadows for quite some time now. Thanks in advance for all your help! I am in the market for some new speakers. My purpose is 2-fold, to free up some space in switching to towers and removing the sub (bad idea?), as well as upgrading my current speakers.

I am contemplating 2 sets of used towers (assume both to be in similar, like-new condition) and would appreciate any input. They are a set of Definitive Technology BP 8s and Klipsch KSP-300. Based upon reviews both seem to have been looked at favorably back in their day, but that was many years ago. Am I spinning my wheels trying to get a used deal? Which set do you think would be optimal from a home theater 5.1 standpoint? Do the two really compare? My current receiver is a Denon avr-889, is this enough to handle a higher-end tower set-up?

Thanks for your time and again for your help!

Regards,

Chris

blackraven
11-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Your Denon I believe is 100wpc and it should be fine for the BP8's.
I dont know a thing about Klipsch except in general I dont care for their sound.

As far as getting rid of your sub, that would be ok for 2ch music, but not for HT. There are many small subs that can fit under tables or the corner of rooms. Check out www.velodyne.com They offer a few small subs.

02audionoob
11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
The KSP-300 speakers are even more efficient than the BP8. That's not a reason to choose them...just a confirmation that these aren't speakers that need more power than your Denon has.

cmatthews
11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks for your input! I will definitely check out some of those smaller subs. I guess it would help to be a little more forward. I am considering 2 craigslist ads and would appreciate any advice on which people view as the better deal. Here are the two ads:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/925518612.html

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/ele/922298973.html

Additionally, I believe I can get a def tech center chanel (C1 JR) for $50 from the BP 8 seller. Should I be scared about the age of both speaker sets? I certainly don't mind spending a little more if I am getting better quality. Are the def techs much nicer?

Thanks!

blackraven
11-20-2008, 09:39 AM
Go with the DT's and get the center channel to match. DT also makes a very small sub called the Cube. For $375, I dont think you could do much better. And if you don't like them you could probably flip them and get your money back.

cmatthews
11-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Thank you all for your help! I am going to go with the def techs. Now to find a set of rear speakers to compliment the towers, any suggestions?

blackraven
11-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Go with DT rears if you can for best speaker matching.

bobsticks
11-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Go with the DT's and get the center channel to match. DT also makes a very small sub called the Cube. For $375, I dont think you could do much better. And if you don't like them you could probably flip them and get your money back.

Given the budget that we're talking about, this is good advice.