thiel cs7 or b&w cdm9nt speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : thiel cs7 or b&w cdm9nt speakers

davo23
11-15-2008, 09:23 AM
i have a pr of b&w cdm9nt speakers and i have a chance to trade them for a pr of thiel cs7.these are not the 7.2 ones.both sets are in excellent condition.i know obviously the cs7 is a better speaker in every aspect.but would it be worth trading seeing how the cs7 are about 12 yrs old..the tweeters have been replaced with the originals.thiel had a problem with there cs7 tweeters blowing easily. i would use them with a plinius 8100 integrated amp.i know the thiels are 86db so they are more power hungry then the b&w but not by much.so would the trade be worth it? thanks guys for all the help!

Mr Peabody
11-15-2008, 01:49 PM
In my opinion, YES, based on just sound quality. If age is a concern contact the factory to see if they still stock the drivers, if so, no problem. Well, except for maybe the cash to replace if anything happens. On good speakers well taken care of 12 years isn't so bad..

RGA
11-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Seriously ask yourself the questions.

I am not a big fan of the B&W but then I don't much care for the Thiel either so if it were me I would sell the CDM 9NT and put the money toward a new or slightly used speaker. If the Thiel speaker truly impressed you you would not have started this thread - which indicates there is a nagging feeling in you that is giving you pause. If it truly wowed you you would have snapped them up.

Wanting to offload the B&W is no surprise to em either. Skip the forums and the magazines and just get out there and start listening - try to listen to different designs, Panel set-ups, High efficiency systems, omnipoler designs, SET and other tube based set-ups, etc..

You may in fact find lesser known competitors at less than half the price of the B&W and Thiel to sound a heckuva lot better.

basite
11-16-2008, 03:42 AM
tweeters blowing easily is pretty overstated with thiel...

if you're listening at normal listening volumes (and loud, too :p), and driving them with a good amp, which delivers clean power, nothing will happen with your tweeters...

just don't use them as party speakers :D
if anything does happen, thiel offers replacement parts for everything concerning their products, new or old. And with their outstanding service, it could end up being free of charge too...

the CDM9nt speakers are good, but no match for what the thiels can deliver...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.