Time Out New York Music Recap [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time Out New York Music Recap

Gresh
03-13-2004, 11:11 AM
Here is what TONY is highlighting this week in their music section:

Amel Larrieux

A critically acclaimed "neosoul" singer, Larrieux is releasing her first disk (Bravebird)on the independent label Bliss Life after asking to be released from her contract with Epic. The music has a nod to the "NYC house music of the late 80's and early 90's". Although Bliss Life lacks the resources to mount a flashy marketing campaign, the singer feels the rewards of creative control are worth far more at this stage in her career. The single "Say You Want it All" offers a "scorching indictment of the music industry - -

" Ride the product line/ Hop in your box but don't protest/ You've just been signed/ To the three-ringed bull**** business"

Just Jack

His debut album, "The Outer Marker", is being compared with The Streets "Original Pirate Material". Just Jack (Jack Allsop) seems to be working the same side of the street as Mike Skinner. The sound isa described as a dubby club rhythm and singsong street poetry that "describes the "day in the life of a north London boy".

The album had had success abroad but the writer questions whether US audiences will appreciate it.

Also mentioned this week:

* The Ponys "impetous rock and roll"

* Sharon Tandy "that Sharon Tandy is completely unknown defies belief"

* Neulander " successfully crafted intimate electronics that eschew downtempo cliches, and low key dance numbers that blissfully marry classic song craft with state of the art beats".

Davey
03-13-2004, 11:24 AM
A critically acclaimed "neosoul" singer, Larrieux is releasing her first disk (Bravebird)on the independent label Bliss Life after asking to be released from her contract with Epic.
Hey, Amel! Haven't heard about her for awhile and just to prove I'm not always the indie snob I might sometimes appear to be, I even have her Infinite Possibilities debut on the evil Sony label. Pretty good, but a little bit lightweight and probably suffers from the big label production. Be good to hear something a little more raw from her, if that is what the new one is like.

BTW, I know you've been hanging around and posting for a couple weeks now Gresh, but just wanted to say welcome to the board since I don't think I have yet. Nice to have you here and I enjoy reading your posts, as I'm sure everyone else does too :)

Gresh
03-13-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks Davey, I finally "took the plunge" to start posting - hopefully, I can contribute. I appreciate the welcome.
Gresh