How do i connect my speakers???????? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How do i connect my speakers????????

tony340
11-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Hey sorry guys
I bought some Tara Labs Bi wire for my Mission 731 bookshelf speakers, but i had not noticed that the speakers have got only 2 ends, just a positive and negative 2 ends.. I know it sounds stupid, but well i completely forgot to check the speaker.... How can i connect it to my amp??? Can i connect one positive and negative end onto the speaker?? Or do i have to completely get a new set of wire? Please advice.. Thanks

markw
11-14-2008, 03:04 AM
You can connect the respective positive and negative leads to the same speaker respective terminal. i.e connect the two reds (or whatever) to the positive speaker terminal and likewise for the other wires.

Or you can just connect one pair of wires but make damn sure the other two dangling leads never, ever touch. Tape 'em up or something.

tony340
11-14-2008, 03:21 AM
Hey thanks so much Markw.. Really appreciate it.. My other question is, the guy who terminated the wire for me, has terminated the wire in such a way where, one wire has the 2 outer end of the wire connected to black banana plugs whereas on the other end it has red banana plugs.. Is this a mistake or what? The other wire has the 2 inner wires and outer wires connected to red and black banana plugs respectively..

markw
11-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I don't know from inner and outer. What generally winds up happening is that on one end there is a red/black terminal for connection to the amp and, on the speaker end, there are two pairs of wires. One pair has a red and black wire/terminal for one set of speaker terminals and the other pair has another red and black wire/terminal for the other speaker terminals.

The colors may vary but you get the idea. If this doesn't describe what you have, talk to the people who terminated them.

tony340
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
What i finally did was, take the 2 positive ends on the speaker side and connected it to one banana plug (i used the screw type, hence no soldering) and did the same for the negative end.. The sound is very good now, but just one worry whether i need to get the ends soldered or not? The amp ends are soldered. Just concerned if their could be a problem with Oxydization or something later on??