I was listening to tunes in a local pub and... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I was listening to tunes in a local pub and...

Swish
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
...I strolled up to the bar, commenting how nice it was to have indie rock (it was Wilco) playing in a local bar. Then I asked the attractive barmaid if I could have some intercourse. She started screaming and calling me a pervert, and next thing I knew, a couple large bouncers grabbed me and were trying to get toss me out the door. I pleaded my case and told them 'I was only asking for some Intercourse Paradise Pale Ale!". They put me down and started grilling me, and I insisted it was a real beer. They were skeptical at best, but I had them check Google the name on their PC and, sure enough, they found out I was serious. You can check it out at http://intercoursebrewingcompany.com/default.aspx

Intercourse is a small town in Lancaster County, right near Blue Ball and Paradise. Most Pennsylvanians know this area, and I'm not joking. For once in my life.

Swish

3-LockBox
11-13-2008, 09:56 PM
Intercourse is a small town in Lancaster County, right near Blue Ball and Paradise.

I've heard that the townsfolk of Blue Ball and Intercourse do not get along, at all. However, people who have moved from Blue Ball to Intercourse wondered why they ever lived in Blue Ball and vow never to go back. The people of Blue Ball are of course, understandably frustrated by that development.

RoadRunner6
11-13-2008, 10:54 PM
I wondered if they had a brewing company down there in Climax, North Carolina? So my wife and I took a drive down there after work to have a cold one. Well, I'll be damned if they didn't move it up to Jersey.

http://www.climaxbrewing.com/

Swish, the next time you're in that pub you could ask that attractive barmaid if she could give you a Climax.

RR6 :biggrin5:

MindGoneHaywire
11-13-2008, 11:00 PM
You'd think that people who live in a state with a town named Bird-In-Hand would consider that it might actually be in the same vicinity as Intercourse.

BradH
11-14-2008, 01:35 AM
I would assume Bird-In-Hand is much closer to Intercourse than to Blue Ball.

Slosh
11-14-2008, 04:13 AM
Did this bar happen to be in Virginville, PA?

kexodusc
11-14-2008, 04:48 AM
You always wonder if people that named these towns were clever jokers or just oblivious? I recently did a camping trip thing that took me through two towns, one named Dildo, the other Come-by-chance, the latter of which is located at the head of Placentia Bay in Newfoundland, Canada...Them crazy Irish settlers...

Swish
11-14-2008, 05:27 AM
They have Buttzville, Wycoff, Ho-Ho-Kus, Rudeville, Hopatcong, Lopatcong. However, some of the southern states are just killer. I'm not going to go on and on, but Bald Knob and Toad Suck, Arkansas, Cut and Shoot, TX.

How about Whiskey Dick Mountain in Washington? Then there's Mianus, CT. Could you be from a worse place than Mianus? :D

Swish

Auricauricle
11-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Goin' fishin'. Anybody know directions to the Master Bait store?

ForeverAutumn
11-14-2008, 07:31 AM
Could you be from a worse place than Mianus? :D

Swish

YOU GUYS ARE KILLING ME! I now have coffee up my nose.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Duds
11-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Imagine the article in the local Mianus paper if nascar driver Dick Trickle visited...

"Nascar driver Dick Trickle was in Mianus last week......"

They have Buttzville, Wycoff, Ho-Ho-Kus, Rudeville, Hopatcong, Lopatcong. However, some of the southern states are just killer. I'm not going to go on and on, but Bald Knob and Toad Suck, Arkansas, Cut and Shoot, TX.

How about Whiskey Dick Mountain in Washington? Then there's Mianus, CT. Could you be from a worse place than Mianus? :D

Swish

MindGoneHaywire
11-14-2008, 07:50 AM

Swish

Yeah. Uranus.

On a trip to Hersheypark like 30 years ago I remember the bus took us through towns like Bird-In-Hand & Intercourse, and we were told we were pretty much in the heart of the Pennsylvania Dutch area, Amish country, and those are just the sorts of names one tends to remember when they don't have anything better to do.

:rolleyes5:

Not to defend NJ, but some of those names seem like they could be native names. Not that that makes them sound any less dumb. Just food for thought coming from someone who's from Long Island, what with Massapequa, Matinecock, Patchogue, Copaigue, Montauk, etc. etc. I didn't think much about the origins of these names until one day it struck me how different they were than names like Hicksville & New Hyde Park & Southhampton & Port Jefferson. Where someone comes up with something like French Lick, IN is another story, but what the hell this has to do with music is beyond me anyway.

Just got a box set I've LONG wanted, the Complete Billie Holiday on Verve. I'm going to hibernate with this for awhile, I think.

BradH
11-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Could you be from a worse place than Mianus?

Just imagine their cheering squad during football season.

"Gooooooooooo MIANUS!!!"

Swish
11-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Ah, forget it.