Just sold my 840c [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just sold my 840c

blackraven
11-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I just posted my Cambridge Audio 840c on Audiogon and I just sold it with in 30 minutes of it posting. I think I listed it to low at $929. I saw people listing them between $890-1100.
I may buy the Marantz SA8003 SACDP or another piece of Van Alstine gear like the hybrid DAC.

frenchmon
11-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Good for you and congrads! Can't wait to hear the review of the Marantz.

frenchmon

02audionoob
11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
How did you like (or not like) the 840c?

Feanor
11-12-2008, 05:26 PM
I just posted my Cambridge Audio 840c on Audiogon and I just sold it with in 30 minutes of it posting. I think I listed it to low at $929. I saw people listing them between $890-1100.
I may buy the Marantz SA8003 SACDP or another piece of Van Alstine gear like the hybrid DAC.

I'm not surprised it sold fast. Seen any reviews of the SA8003? The Marantz would make a lot of sense to a classical lover who buys SACD, like say me.

On the other hand I can't do without a DAC. With a grand rattling around in my pocket I would be very tempted to try the Monarchy NM24 DAC/preamp (http://www.monarchyaudio.com/). (MSRP is $1590 but I'm pretty sure it can be had new for around $1100.)

blackraven
11-12-2008, 07:31 PM
Here's a link to the SA8003. http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/cd-players-recorders/marantz-sa8003-456022/review

I owned the SA8001 and the 840c at the same time and sold the 8001 because of its rolled off treble and less detail, transparency and resolution compared to the 840c. But what I ended up finding out was that I found the 840c to be fatiguing on music that tended to be on the bright side. Not all music was fatiguing, but I listen to alot of Blue's and Jazz which can be slightly bright. So it wasn't a good match with my system. The Van Alstine preamp cleaned some of the brightness up though. And after hearing the VA hybrid DAC and premamp together, I knew that the 840c had to go. I would have liked to keep it for my secondary system and sold my Music Hall but I needed the money for upgrading.

The new SA8003 is supposed to handle treble better with more accuracy and detail than the 8001. It has some trickle down tech from their more expensive players. It does not use op-amps and uses HDAM-2 tech.

I'll have to decide between it and the Van Alstine Hybrid DAC which is about $700 more than the Marantz. The DAC has pristine sound and transparency and sound stage to die for.

That Monarchy Pre/DAC looks very nice, but I am sold on the Van Alstine gear. My dilemma is that I have alot of hybrid CD's and the Marantz may have that tube like sound that I like. I've got a giant Headache right now because I cant decide which to buy.

audio amateur
11-13-2008, 03:31 AM

On the other hand I can't do without a DAC. With a grand rattling around in my pocket I would be very tempted to try the Monarchy NM24 DAC/preamp (http://www.monarchyaudio.com/). (MSRP is $1590 but I'm pretty sure it can be had new for around $1100.)
Nice guts!

Feanor
11-13-2008, 06:15 AM
I owned the SA8001 and the 840c at the same time and sold the 8001 because of its rolled off treble and less detail, transparency and resolution compared to the 840c. But what I ended up finding out was that I found the 840c to be fatiguing on music that tended to be on the bright side. Not all music was fatiguing, but I listen to alot of Blue's and Jazz which can be slightly bright. So it wasn't a good match with my system.
That Monarchy Pre/DAC looks very nice, but I am sold on the Van Alstine gear. My dilemma is that I have alot of hybrid CD's and the Marantz may have that tube like sound that I like. I've got a giant Headache right now because I cant decide which to buy.

I understand this phenomenon very well. My previous amp was a Bel Canto eVo2 Gen II; on the best recordings it sounded terrific: super clean, transparent, and airy. But poorer recordings sound bright and edgy. My current Monarchy SM-70 Pros are not quite as transparent (though still highly resolving), but they're smoother, slightly warmer, and make 80% of my recordings sound more musical.

My own Monarchy experience plus the endorsement of the NM24 by Positive Feedback reviewer, Brad Morrical, whose opinions I highly respect, are what inclined me to that model.

blackraven
11-13-2008, 11:05 AM
It's amazing to think that a little high frequency sound can be so irritating
after 30 minutes of listening.

JohnMichael
11-13-2008, 01:37 PM
First let me say if you do buy the Marantz I will be interested in reading your review. I have a question about DAC's that pertains to cd/sacd players. Can outboard DAC's process only cd's digital output and not sacd's? I am still enjoying the SA 8001 so I am not planning any changes but interested if the 8003 might be a step up.

Mr Peabody
11-13-2008, 01:49 PM
I believe Emaidel had both the 8001 and 8003.

Blackraven, why don't you buy the 8003 from some place that allows a return, like www.amusicdirect.com and compare it side by side to the VA DAC.

blackraven
11-13-2008, 04:23 PM
There's a store in Minneapolis that has the 8003 for $1K and they have a return guarentee. I spoke with them today and they will let me take the demo home or buy a new one and return it if I dont like it. So I'll post a review of it on Saturday.

Out board DAC's can only process standard CD's not SACD's. So you could use an outboard DAC from your digital out on the Marantz for regular CD playback. I have been so impressed by the DAC's from Van Alstine that I will probably do just that depending upon how good the std CD playback is on the Marantz should I elect to keep it.

The only thing that pisses me off about DAC's is the cost. How come they cost way more than a CDP which has more parts including a laser, torriodal power transformers and a mechanical drawer?