New entry level vs Used mid level [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New entry level vs Used mid level

qaburk
11-12-2008, 06:45 AM
I’m not a bona-fide audiophile. I’m just a man who, generally speaking, appreciates quality in all things.

In or about the year 2000 I assembled what I’d describe as a mid-range stereo system comprised of the following components:

Receiver: Sony STR-DE825 ($400)
Front: 2 x Infinity Compositions Overture 1 ($1000)
Rear: 2 x Infinity Quadrapole Surround ($300)
Center: Infinity CC2 Center Channel ($300)

My receiver recently went into Protector Mode (suspected to be a result of someone testing the system’s capabilities in my absence) and, as my attempts to clear this condition have failed, I am now left to consider options for replacement.

My question essentially pertains to developments in technology and whether or not new entry level equipment outperforms older (5-10 years) mid-range components. Given that I’m not currently prepared to spend as much as I did previously – which of the three following options (assuming comprehensive research to purchase the best available products in my price range) should be expected to deliver better performance?

1. Keep my (now outdated but previously mid-range) speakers and purchase a new entry level receiver ($250 or less)
2. Keep my speakers and purchase a used mid to high-range receiver that would most likely be 5 or more years old ($250 or less).
3. Sell my speakers (hoping to receive $250 or more) and add that amount to my $250 out of pocket to purchase a boxed home entertainment package ($500 ish)

I could compile a specification comparison to see how my Infinity(s) stack up to new entry level speakers (I’m that type of guy!) but given my lack of technical knowledge I won’t be able to effectively interpret the data. I could compare my system’s performance (from memory) vs an in store package demonstration but wouldn’t be able to compare performance of my speakers with a new entry level receiver.

I’m anxious to hear your expert opinion!

Your time and consideration are greatly appreciated!

L.J.
11-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Sounds like your on a tight budget. No sense getting rid of your speakers if you like them. I'd probably go with option 1 but try to bump up the budget a little. If your gonna have to purchase a new AVR, might as well get a modern unit with latest processing and has some future flexibility. I like the Yamaha 663 or Onkyo 705. These units have latest processing, tons of features and also have preouts which would allow you to add an external amp later on, if needed. This would allow you to enjoy your system now, have the flexibility of HDMI if you have plans on getting an HDTV & BR player. And you could slowly replace your current speakers with quality ones, if you ever feel the need to.

blackraven
11-12-2008, 12:36 PM
If your on a tight budget, look at the onkyo TX SR606, it's 90wpc and has a high current power transformer found on most high end gear. Its a real bargain. Many places sell it for around $350, well below list price. The 706 is a slight step up but only 100wpc and will cost $100-150 more.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543836-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR606B_TX_SR606B_Home_Theater_Receiver.ht ml#features

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/543841-REG/Onkyo_TX_SR706B_TX_SR706B_Home_Theater_Receiver.ht ml

As far as your speakers go, you have to ask yourself do I like the way they sound?
If it was me, I would keep the speakers and get the Onyko and then upgrade the speakers at a later date when you have more money. You dont want to buy cheap sounding speakers. Those 2 onkyo receivers will be able to drive most speakers and do it well.

Woochifer
11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Actually, with your budget I would also look for a new closeout model. Depending on the retailer, you might be able to negotiate up to half off one of the older models if the newer models have begun arriving.

Another option right now is doing the death watch at Circuit City. In my area, about half of the Circuit City stores are closing, and have begun their liquidation sales. With these store liquidations, the discounts usually start around 10% and then get progressively larger as the weeks wear on. Problem of course is that the inventory doesn't get restocked, so if you really want something, it might not wait for the larger markdowns.

robb01
11-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Id probably go with used mid level, you could some better quality then going entry

02audionoob
11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
I'd vote for used mid level. That $250 could get you something like an Adcom GFA-535 and GTP-400 on that world-famous auction site and you'd have better sound quality than a new $250 receiver. Other similarly-priced good options on the used market would include the Kenwood Basic M1 amp and C1 or C2 preamp, but they're not as common as the Adcom.

Edit...I don't know why I went off on the 2-channel tangent. I agree on the HT...new receiver.

blackraven
11-12-2008, 04:59 PM
If your looking at 2ch gear, used may be the way to go. But it looks like your interested in HT as well. I would stick with new if that is the case because you will have all the latest features.

Mr Peabody
11-12-2008, 05:28 PM
My vote is to keep your speakers. You aren't going to find anything comparible for $250.00

LJ and BR gave good receiver recs, which way to go depends on where you are at and where you want to go. If HT is important, go for as much features and latest technology as you can afford. I believe you are or you wouldn't have the 5 speaker set up. If no longer interested in HT and just want stereo, look for a used integrated amp.

pixelthis
11-13-2008, 11:28 PM
I’m not a bona-fide audiophile. I’m just a man who, generally speaking, appreciates quality in all things.

In or about the year 2000 I assembled what I’d describe as a mid-range stereo system comprised of the following components:

Receiver: Sony STR-DE825 ($400)
Front: 2 x Infinity Compositions Overture 1 ($1000)
Rear: 2 x Infinity Quadrapole Surround ($300)
Center: Infinity CC2 Center Channel ($300)

My receiver recently went into Protector Mode (suspected to be a result of someone testing the system’s capabilities in my absence) and, as my attempts to clear this condition have failed, I am now left to consider options for replacement.

My question essentially pertains to developments in technology and whether or not new entry level equipment outperforms older (5-10 years) mid-range components. Given that I’m not currently prepared to spend as much as I did previously – which of the three following options (assuming comprehensive research to purchase the best available products in my price range) should be expected to deliver better performance?

1. Keep my (now outdated but previously mid-range) speakers and purchase a new entry level receiver ($250 or less)
2. Keep my speakers and purchase a used mid to high-range receiver that would most likely be 5 or more years old ($250 or less).
3. Sell my speakers (hoping to receive $250 or more) and add that amount to my $250 out of pocket to purchase a boxed home entertainment package ($500 ish)

I could compile a specification comparison to see how my Infinity(s) stack up to new entry level speakers (I’m that type of guy!) but given my lack of technical knowledge I won’t be able to effectively interpret the data. I could compare my system’s performance (from memory) vs an in store package demonstration but wouldn’t be able to compare performance of my speakers with a new entry level receiver.

I’m anxious to hear your expert opinion!

Your time and consideration are greatly appreciated!

Your speakers are way too good for a 250 buck receiver, or even a 400 dollar one like you had.
I had a sony a long time ago, it burnt out also(they do that)
The 606 would be nice, but I WOULD SPEND AT LEAST 800 BUCKS
for a receiver, or get a used 800 buck receiver for less.
One thing, DONT GET A HTIB.
They are a total waste of money and time, and would be a step back.
A big step back.:1:

RoadRunner6
11-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Absolutely forget #3. I would avoid used equipment unless you know what you're doing.

#1 is the obvious choice in my opinion. Unfortunately, you have a very limited budget. I like the Onkyo 606 but it is over your budget. If you really are limited to $250 then my pick is the Onkyo TX-SR506. It is one of the best entry level receivers and should be fine with your speakers. You will not get the latest super high definition audio formats, Dobly Digital Plus, Dolby True HD and DTS HD MA as you would on the 606. However, you will get the normal Dolby Digital.

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR506&class=Receiver&p=i

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-audio-receivers/Onkyo-TX-SR506-Receiver/m65331161.html/search=onkyo%20tx-sr506/st=sort/sort_type=bottomline

http://electronics.pricegrabber.com/home-audio-receivers/Onkyo-TX-SR606-Receiver/m67294715.html/search=onkyo%20tx-sr606/st=sort/sort_type=bottomline

You might save a couple of bucks thru Amazon.

RR6

BadAssJazz
11-14-2008, 03:32 PM
If I were in you, I'd keep the speakers and probably pick up an Onkyo 605 renewed to specs from an authorized dealer like accessories4less.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR605/Onkyo/TX-SR605-7.1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html

However, if I were me (and I am, I am!) then I'd probably do a little more soul searching and figure out if buying one item will only inevitably lead to a complete overhaul...and save up some more ducats accordingly. It's a slippery slope!

RoadRunner6
11-14-2008, 11:27 PM
B. A. J., I saw that refurbished unit but it is $9.99 over his budget! Shame on you for trying to crank up the price on him :biggrin5:. (Actually that is a nice deal).

Qaburk, I bought a new amp power amp tonight and plan on following up in the near future with a matching pre/pro. Thus I will be selling my Sony receiver if you might be interested. I will sell it for $250, I will pay the shipping, as long as you are in the lower 48 states. You can pay me direct or I think the paypal charge is about 3%. (there is one listed on the Polk forum for $350 shipped). Send me a private message for more info and photos.

It is a Sony STR-DA4ES receiver from the Sony ES line. I do have the original box and all accessories and manuals. I think it is past the original 5 year warranty (I have to find my paper work but it should be about 5-6 years old. It listed for $1100 when new. It is Dolby Digital/DTS/Dobly Pro Logic II with a discrete 7 channel amp (110 watts per channel) and a very sophisticated bass mangement system and three channel parametric equalizer on each individual channel. Weight is 46.3 lbs! It is comparable to receivers in the $1500 range today. It does not include the new HDMI or new HD audio formats. It is in mint condition and never had any problems.

http://www.epinions.com/specs/pr-Receivers_Sony_STR_DA4ES_Surround_Sound_AV_Receive r_STR_DA4ES

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=51 (ask here at the Sony forum for opinions on the STR-DA4ES)

RR6 :22:

jaytrezza
11-15-2008, 09:24 AM
i too am budget minded in my HT system. I have an older Integra Dtr-5 which i love but it does not have Hdmi connections. I have only one Hdmi connection on my TV so i had been using a radio shack hdmi switch box that would switch when you adjusted the volume or the tv. i also had an audio switcher.What a nightmare. I couldn't take it anymore so i stooped to a Sony STR-DG520 receiver(please don't hurt me fellow forum friends!!??!). It is pretty feature rich and is now at Circuit city for $179.00 w/ free shipping. I have a pretty good sound system, for the money i invested(roughly $1200.00) but am quite happy with the sony for now. I will upgrade( i am stupid about denon and onkyo) "but i got good sound for now!"

Turk182
02-01-2009, 01:31 PM
B. A. J., I saw that refurbished unit but it is $9.99 over his budget! Shame on you for trying to crank up the price on him :biggrin5:. (Actually that is a nice deal).

Qaburk, I bought a new amp power amp tonight and plan on following up in the near future with a matching pre/pro. Thus I will be selling my Sony receiver if you might be interested. I will sell it for $250, I will pay the shipping, as long as you are in the lower 48 states. You can pay me direct or I think the paypal charge is about 3%. (there is one listed on the Polk forum for $350 shipped). Send me a private message for more info and photos.

It is a Sony STR-DA4ES receiver from the Sony ES line. I do have the original box and all accessories and manuals. I think it is past the original 5 year warranty (I have to find my paper work but it should be about 5-6 years old. It listed for $1100 when new. It is Dolby Digital/DTS/Dobly Pro Logic II with a discrete 7 channel amp (110 watts per channel) and a very sophisticated bass mangement system and three channel parametric equalizer on each individual channel. Weight is 46.3 lbs! It is comparable to receivers in the $1500 range today. It does not include the new HDMI or new HD audio formats. It is in mint condition and never had any problems.

http://www.epinions.com/specs/pr-Receivers_Sony_STR_DA4ES_Surround_Sound_AV_Receive r_STR_DA4ES

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewforum.php?forum=51 (ask here at the Sony forum for opinions on the STR-DA4ES)

RR6 :22:

hey.. I am interested.. I wanted/tried to PM you, but it is not allowing me.. maybe because I am a newbie here. if you get this. PM me ASAP.

f0rge
02-02-2009, 07:56 AM
what do you have as far as other components in your HT? does anything have HDMI? will you be going to bluray in the future?

if so i would take a look at something new (so option #1). an onkyo 606 like others have suggested is probably your best bet, even if it is slightly over your budget.

i would keep your current speakers, they seem to be quite good and speakers never really get outdated

02audionoob
02-02-2009, 03:50 PM
We should take a vote...All in favor of the Onkyo 606 say "Aye". All opposed? Motion passed.

<a href="http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTXSR606/Onkyo/TX-SR606-90w-x-7ch-HDMI-Theater-Receiver-BLACK/1.html">Onkyo TX-SR606</a href>

BadAssJazz
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
This thread was started way back in November. Wonder what the OP ultimately decided.