My first post here...Hello all. DVD player question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : My first post here...Hello all. DVD player question

Drew888
03-13-2004, 09:23 AM
I desire to upgrade from my 5yr old Sony DVD player to something w/progressive scan.
Doing a tiny bit of research I am now finding out that they are not all created equal.
I would like enough out of a new player to show off my new Hitachi 57S700 yet spend as little as possible doing so.

Can anyone steer me in the direction of the least expensive player you would put up with (realizing that most of you probably would be spending more than I could, I'd like to cap this at $250).

Thanks a bunch!

Drew

PmR
03-13-2004, 04:26 PM
In that price range, try to get a used Panasonic XP30 at www.videogon.com. I think I saw one available there recently.

uncooked
03-13-2004, 07:42 PM
the pioneer 563 has some good reviews, and plays sacd and dvd-a which is a big bonus, that must be well uder 250 becuase it is 240 here in canada.

also yamaha dvd players have awsome picture. like the 5650. but i would go with the pioneer becuase it has sacd and dvd-a.

if you dont have 5.1 then the pioneer with sacd and dvd-a is un needed and i would go with a yamaha, or denon or something because out of personal experience they have better picture then the pioneer. but if you do have a 5.1 system the sacd, dvd-a out plays the slight picture difference........ confusing but i hope you get it

recap

if you have 5.1 --------- pioneer 563

if not -------------- yamaha, denon, "if you can get a good deal on a harmon kardon"

F1
03-13-2004, 08:40 PM
For DVD player I would not get a used one. Simply because it involves some moving parts. Select the player based on the feature you want. As for picture quality my guess is that all players will perform very good as the technology becomes so standard. Picture quality depends on TV calibration as well.

andrus
03-14-2004, 04:19 PM
You could try Onkyo ultra high band Progressive scan DVD player.

Whatever"ultra high band" means, i dunno.

PmR
03-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Another consideration if you are willing to up your budget a bit is Yamaha is releasing a new Faroudja-equipped universal player (DVD/DVD-A/SACD) in April according to company reps. Their release from last year was well-received by the guys at DVD Benchmark but had a MSRP of $999. The new system is supposed to have MSRP of $399 according to reports from CES 2004.

The new player is called the S1500.

TheAmazingJosh
03-14-2004, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=if you dont have 5.1 then the pioneer with sacd and dvd-a is un needed and i would go with a yamaha, or denon or something because out of personal experience they have better picture then the pioneer. but if you do have a 5.1 system the sacd, dvd-a out plays the slight picture difference........ confusing but i hope you get it

recap

if you have 5.1 --------- pioneer 563

if not -------------- yamaha, denon, "if you can get a good deal on a harmon kardon"[/QUOTE]

One does not need a 5.1 receiver to enjoy the benefits of SACD or DVD-A. Harmon Kardon is at the top of my budget DVD player list.

uncooked
03-14-2004, 10:30 PM
yes but its not as important when your playing it through tv speakers. all inputs basically sound the same.